SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:04:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed)  (Read 5025 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2011, 07:20:15 PM »
« edited: May 13, 2011, 06:56:58 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: HappyWarrior

I'm putting this in the PPT's discretion slot, till another slot is available.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 07:36:08 PM »

I need something quick, before I do something crazy.

I didn't want to delete the one that had posts in it, and the explanations of what the heck happened. But I guess my computer has other plans. Roll Eyes
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 07:57:49 PM »

No.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »

Like I said.. I will vote against this bill because I refuse to change the name of Mondale National Airport, a respected politician among liberals, to that of a moderate hero who has long since been involved in Atlasia or the Atlas forum.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 08:17:17 PM »

Like I said.. I will vote against this bill because I refuse to change the name of Mondale National Airport, a respected politician among liberals, to that of a moderate hero who has long since been involved in Atlasia or the Atlas forum.

...and you're against trivial bills, right? Wink
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »

I will vote against these bills until something is named after me.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 08:42:35 PM »

I will vote against these bills until something is named after me.

I agree.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:52:19 PM »

The first bill was complete partisan hackery, changing conservative-named airports to liberal-named airports. And despite your "commitment" to voting against frivolous legislation, you voted for something that was no more than a left vs. right game.

Props to HappyWarrior for doing this. It's ridiculous and pathetic the first bill ever even passed. I actually wouldn't mind changing it back to what they were named before.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

The first bill was complete partisan hackery, changing conservative-named airports to liberal-named airports. And despite your "commitment" to voting against frivolous legislation, you voted for something that was no more than a left vs. right game.

Props to HappyWarrior for doing this. It's ridiculous and pathetic the first bill ever even passed. I actually wouldn't mind changing it back to what they were named before.
My commitment against frivolous bills is because the queue is backloaded until August 2012 at the rate we're going and frivolous bills sit and sit and sit on the senate floor because nobody is interested enough to push them through or get rid of them... thus reducing senate activity greatly.

If things are running smoothly and people are proposing frivolous bills to honor certain people or whatever, then I'm okay with that... but things aren't running smoothly at the moment (though at least some new bills have been put up for consideration now).

And yes, renaming the airports was partisan hackery.  I'd expect no less from the right if they had a super majority in the senate and held the presidency.

Remember it wasn't the left who engaged in hackery on this issue in the first place.  Washington/Nyman National Airport was just as good a name as any for the airport serving our nation's capital.  Naming it after the godman of the right was nothing more than an exercise of hackery at its greatest level... and renaming it Mondale National Airport, after a man who lost spectacularly to Reagan, was a hackish jibe at the right.  I won't apologize for it.

But in balance, I am a liberal.  I try to be a pragmatic, common sense liberal and I have no problem working with the right to achieve common goals.  But don't pretend I'm some moderate hero who will champion partisan conservative causes in order to appear "cool" and "moderate".

As for this bill in particular:  I already stated I am voting no for partisan reasons even if it is quite frivolous.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 09:11:51 PM »

Here's the difference: Conservatives in RL were the ones who named it after conservative leaders, so don't try and blame it on us. The right has not engaged in partisan hackery. Only the left has. Liberals in this game were the ones who named it after liberal leaders, not leaders in RL. And yes, there is a huge difference between these two.

If you think named it Washington Nyman was good enough, why don't you propose an amendment changing it to that? I surely would be fine with that. All I want to see done is fixing an act of partisan hackery caused completely by the left in the game.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 10:21:14 PM »

I only favor a bill changing it to Duke National Airport or a bill repealing the old law that changed it. We can't spend all this money renaming airports every few months. Wink
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:51:14 PM »

I only favor a bill changing it to Duke National Airport or a bill repealing the old law that changed it. We can't spend all this money renaming airports every few months. Wink

Please don't oppose it just because it isn't named after you, it needs to be named after Atlasians and I think it should be ones who are not presently in office. 

As for those who want it to be named after politicians other than those who were previously in place if we are going to be changing airport's names to something different it should be those who've made a difference inthe game.  If we're gonna be partisan hacks (And I hate Reagan as much as the next liberal) at least do it in a way that makes sense for our being a part of the nation of Atlasia.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:10 PM »

Please don't oppose it just because it isn't named after you, it needs to be named after Atlasians and I think it should be ones who are not presently in office. 

As for those who want it to be named after politicians other than those who were previously in place if we are going to be changing airport's names to something different it should be those who've made a difference inthe game.  If we're gonna be partisan hacks (And I hate Reagan as much as the next liberal) at least do it in a way that makes sense for our being a part of the nation of Atlasia.

OK. I suppose reversing the ridiculousness that happened a few months ago will be a good strategy. I'm on board.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:57:06 PM »

OK. I suppose reversing the ridiculousness that happened a few months ago will be a good strategy. I'm on board.

Good, next time I'm in NC I'll bring you some whiskey and we'll have a few drinks.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 11:00:50 PM »

Good, next time I'm in NC I'll bring you some whiskey and we'll have a few drinks.

Now you're getting the hang of it. Wink
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »

Wow, look at all the criminal corruption going on here,

MR. ATTORNEY GENERAL!!!!

Oh wait, he bought a vote during his confirmation hearing. Tongue
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2011, 11:02:41 PM »

MR. ATTORNEY GENERAL!!!!

This is why it must be named after Atlasian officials, we certainly have our own political culture here in might Atlasia Wink
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:44 PM »

MR. ATTORNEY GENERAL!!!!

He also made a large donation to my reelection committee. I'll stop at any attempts at investigating him.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2011, 11:52:01 PM »

We just passed the previous name changes. I am of course opposed to this bill.

The previous name changes used fun historical connections that probably went over some peoples' heads.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2011, 11:57:31 PM »

We just passed the previous name changes. I am of course opposed to this bill.

The previous name changes used fun historical connections that probably went over some peoples' heads.

They made sense, they just shouldn't be done considering there is no United States, rather we are Atlasia, therefore structures should they be renamed should be named after Atlasians
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2011, 08:03:35 AM »

how about Reagan-Mondale-Wixted National and Dulles-Arbenz-Nym International.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2011, 08:07:29 AM »

"Dulles" and "Arbenz" alongside is a barbarity.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 03:28:06 AM »

Motion to table.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 04:00:15 AM »

Seconded.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »

My friends, what happened in this chamber last session was pure partisan hackery. Even liberals can agree to that:

And yes, renaming the airports was partisan hackery.  I'd expect no less from the right if they had a super majority in the senate and held the presidency.

We are simply looking to undo a wrong done by the last Senate. Whether it be by changing it to the names of Atlasians or even naming it Washington and Nyman. Whatever you guys want. I just think it's sad that when the left did have a chance to pass whatever they wanted, they passed meaningless , extremely partisan, junk bills that did nothing to improve the game.

I still don't understand why airports were named after Americans when we live in Atlasia.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies