SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:53:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Airports Act (Failed)  (Read 5114 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« on: May 03, 2011, 08:13:09 PM »

Like I said.. I will vote against this bill because I refuse to change the name of Mondale National Airport, a respected politician among liberals, to that of a moderate hero who has long since been involved in Atlasia or the Atlas forum.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 09:07:53 PM »

Like I said.. I will vote against this bill because I refuse to change the name of Mondale National Airport, a respected politician among liberals, to that of a moderate hero who has long since been involved in Atlasia or the Atlas forum.
The first bill was complete partisan hackery, changing conservative-named airports to liberal-named airports. And despite your "commitment" to voting against frivolous legislation, you voted for something that was no more than a left vs. right game.

Props to HappyWarrior for doing this. It's ridiculous and pathetic the first bill ever even passed. I actually wouldn't mind changing it back to what they were named before.
My commitment against frivolous bills is because the queue is backloaded until August 2012 at the rate we're going and frivolous bills sit and sit and sit on the senate floor because nobody is interested enough to push them through or get rid of them... thus reducing senate activity greatly.

If things are running smoothly and people are proposing frivolous bills to honor certain people or whatever, then I'm okay with that... but things aren't running smoothly at the moment (though at least some new bills have been put up for consideration now).

And yes, renaming the airports was partisan hackery.  I'd expect no less from the right if they had a super majority in the senate and held the presidency.

Remember it wasn't the left who engaged in hackery on this issue in the first place.  Washington/Nyman National Airport was just as good a name as any for the airport serving our nation's capital.  Naming it after the godman of the right was nothing more than an exercise of hackery at its greatest level... and renaming it Mondale National Airport, after a man who lost spectacularly to Reagan, was a hackish jibe at the right.  I won't apologize for it.

But in balance, I am a liberal.  I try to be a pragmatic, common sense liberal and I have no problem working with the right to achieve common goals.  But don't pretend I'm some moderate hero who will champion partisan conservative causes in order to appear "cool" and "moderate".

As for this bill in particular:  I already stated I am voting no for partisan reasons even if it is quite frivolous.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »

Aye
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:43:56 PM »

I am changing my vote to nay.

While I think we should honor Walter Mondale by naming an important airport after him, and I will fight to keep the name from being changed, I think this at least deserves a fair hearing.

If we're going to take up frivolous business like this... I'm at least it's getting some attention from my colleagues.. so we can debate it, vote on it, and move on.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 09:33:42 PM »

Senators, however, have up to 7 days to vote.  Not 24 hours.  They have 24 hours from their vote to change it.  Once the 24 hour period after the 6th vote in favor or against has been passed, then the voting can be cut off early. 

You guys wonder why nothing got done when I was PPT?  It's because the rules suck.  And I didn't feel like saying "to hell with the OSPR!" 
Wink

Nay, by the way.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2011, 09:38:17 PM »

Section 1: Rules for Voting on Legislation
1. Once a senator calls for a vote on the Amendment(s) under consideration, per Clause 2 of Section 1 of this article, or once debate time expires, per clauses 3 and 4 of Section 1 of this article, the PPT shall open a vote on said legislation. This vote shall last for a maximum of seven (7) days during which time the Senators must vote. Any and all Senators who do not vote will be considered to have abstained.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:50:55 AM »

Senators, however, have up to 7 days to vote.  Not 24 hours.  They have 24 hours from their vote to change it.  Once the 24 hour period after the 6th vote in favor or against has been passed, then the voting can be cut off early. 

You guys wonder why nothing got done when I was PPT?  It's because the rules suck.  And I didn't feel like saying "to hell with the OSPR!" 
Wink

Nay, by the way.

Well first off you had the wrong OSPR. Tongue Don't feel bad Dallas did it again a few days ago.

There is actually a process for saying "to hell with the OSPR", its I beleive Section 8.

Well, not really.  Section 8 gives you certain rights to say to hell with the OSPR... but it requires the approval of the VP and a 2/3 vote, not including you, to do so... and then on top of that... it gives you no right to mess with article 5, which deals with voting on legislation.

But yeah, I think I always put the deadline in the announcements.  It gives people a quick glance when they're going to vote.

As for seven days... at least 6 senators have to vote the same way before you can cut short the seven days... at that point it's 24 hours.  If the total is 5-4.. you have to wait out the full 7 days.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies