2006 Senate Seats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2006 Senate Seats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2006 Senate Seats  (Read 31482 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: December 06, 2004, 09:47:15 PM »

I'm not at all afraid of Rep. Kennedy. In fact, I'd consider him the weakest candidate out of Minnesota's 4 Republican Congressman. He's just a pure party hack, there's nothing about him that makes him especially strong.

The GOP can hate Dayton all they want, but he has decent approval ratings, and like it or not Minnesota is a Dem-leaning state. I have little doubt he'll win.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 10:05:01 PM »

Had it not have been for the media whining about that memorial he would've lost. And he would've lost had Wellstone lived.

And while he was a party hack, he didn't run as one, and he didn't have a voting record to prove it either. Everyone thought he was a moderate just because he was a former Democrat and he said he would oppose ANWR drilling (which he now flip-flopped on, and then had the gall to call Kerry a flip-flopper. That guy is human garbage)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2004, 11:46:02 AM »

Since Chafee could easily get reelected as a Democrat, I think he's not going to risk his seat. If it appears he's facing a strong candidate and can lose, he'll switch. If he faces a potential primary challenge that could beat him, he'll switch. I'd actually rather have him as a Democrat than either of the two Democrat congressmen (Kennedy is a stupid brat and Langevin is OK on most issues but pro-life and anti-stem cell research and all that)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2004, 04:56:16 PM »

Dorgan got reelected easily last election, so the Republicans in ND sure aren't going too well when it comes to winning Senate seats. Conrad will win easily. And Bingaman will also win easily, he's a long term very heavily entrenched incumbent who won with no problems at all in 2000.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 12:23:59 AM »

Everything you said applied this election, and they still won easily. And there is no equivalent of John Thune in ND. There is no reason for the Republicans to target Conrad, and he will win easily.

Of course, you also thought Bush had a great shot at winning Vermont. We all know how accurate that was.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 12:46:55 AM »

Failing on some close races is not equivalent to blowing a state by 20 points.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 12:10:36 PM »

I used to live in the most right wing county in North Dakota that has a significant population. Lived there for 9 years. People like Conrad. They know he's a liberal. They don't care because they aren't political junkies. There's a reason why you don't hear about massive protests or activism on either side in ND. Because of this while most people are probably Republicans, they don't get too partisan outside of presidential elections. Democrats with good constituent services, like all 3 members of the delegation, are popular. Conrad wins easily because he is well liked, and he will win in 2006.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 09:08:28 PM »

They know Conrad is a liberal because the Republican sacrifical lamb candidates in the past have reminded them. Your typical North Dakotan knows he's pro-choice. I've seen campaign against him before saying exactly what you mention, and they didn't work.

As for the local media, lol, you obviously have never read the Fargo Forum. It's a Scaife-owned pure right wing rag. If that's favorable, lol.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2004, 10:58:59 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2004, 11:01:55 PM by BRTD »

Yep, he's running! WOO HOO!!!

EDITORIAL for December 16, 2004

Oh won’t you stay?

When he held his "final news conference" last week as the congressman for most of Northeast Philly, Joe Hoeffel proved that he is calling it quits way too early.

Mr. Hoeffel is a genuinely nice, pleasant, intelligent man with a good deal of potential to do a good deal more for Northeast Philadelphia, Montgomery County and the entire nation. His imminent successor in the U.S. House of Representatives, Allyson Schwartz, hopefully will do a fantastic job doing the people’s business, but Mr. Hoeffel, at just 54 years old, is too young to abandon his constituents. Mr. Hoeffel squandered the opportunity to go great things on an ill-conceived bid to unseat a Pennsylvania legend, Sen. Arlen Specter, last month.

Mr. Hoeffel likely would have made mincemeat out of Mr. Specter’s foe in the Republican primary, the far-right Pat Toomey, but Mr. Specter squeaked out a primary win and crushed Mr. Hoeffel in the Nov. 2 general election.

Mr. Hoeffel should have stayed put in the House, put in a few more terms as an outspoken advocate for The People, and then run for the Senate. Here’s hoping he will spend the next two years making tons of money as a lawyer in the private sector and then come back refreshed and ready to serve the public in 2007 — as Sen. Rick Santorum’s successor.

Ha! Hoeffel would have made micemeat out of Toomey....suuuure. You have to love these editorials. So what paper was it, BL? (Yeah due to the new name change, that's what I'll be calling you.) The Inquirer...The Daily News...? To them, anyone to the right of Chaka Fattah is far right.

Then they say he's an advocate for the people. Wow...a never ending comedy. This "advocate" had one bill passed while serving in the U.S. House and it was the renaming of a post office.

And where exactly in that editorial did it say he was running again? I can't find it.

what makes you so sure Toomey would've won when Kerry won Pennsylvania? Why would anyone vote for Kerry and then Toomey? Why was Toomey such a great candidate?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:30:27 PM »

you know, when you consider the AFL-CIO endorsed Specter and the DSCC did not give Hoeffel that much money, it is a major accomplishment that he topped 40%. Far better than Specter's last opponent. Therefore he's clearly a much better candidate than Phil will admit.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies