2006 Senate Seats (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:49:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2006 Senate Seats (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2006 Senate Seats  (Read 31483 times)
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« on: December 13, 2004, 11:42:43 PM »

Who could possibly challenge Conrad in 2006? I lived there 1998-2002 and the only person who had a chance of beating him then was former governor Ed Schafer. Unless he runs or unless current governor John Hoeven decides to run, seems like Conrad should have an easy time of it.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:31:17 AM »

Who could possibly challenge Conrad in 2006? I lived there 1998-2002 and the only person who had a chance of beating him then was former governor Ed Schafer. Unless he runs or unless current governor John Hoeven decides to run, seems like Conrad should have an easy time of it.

First, if you go back you will see that I specifically mentioned Hoeven as a likely candidate.

Second, are you denying that Conrad's ability to provide the pork in the past was a major factor in his reelection?

Third, are you assserting that the average voter in North Dakota agrees with Conrad's votes?

Fourth, could it be that the majority of the voters never really knew how Conrad was voting?

Fifth, has Conrad has a series of hapless Republican opponents in the past because he could deliver the pork?

First, didn't see that part about Hoeven.

I really don't think the average voter in North Dakota cares what Conrad's posititons are. As long Conrad continues to bring home the yearly farm pork, he could vote like Hilary Clinton and it wouldn't really matter. I'm not going to disagree with your beliefs that North Dakotans don't know (or care) what Conrad's votes are, because more often than not that's the case.

The only way Conrad could lose his seat is either he can't bring home the pork or someone like Hoeven can challenge Conrad on the issues while promising to bring home the bacon. For Conrad to lose his seat it will take something along the lines of Thune-Daschle, as SamSpade mentioned. I am not trying to disagree with most of what you say, I'm just saying it's going to be a tough task for anyone to knock Conrad out come '06. If the status quo holds (in terms of pork, etc) then Conrad is probabky going to win.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies