Connecticut Senate 2012 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:46:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Connecticut Senate 2012 (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Connecticut Senate 2012  (Read 9271 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« on: May 12, 2011, 03:23:35 AM »
« edited: May 12, 2011, 03:36:04 AM by Speaker Napoleon »

Since this is an open seat, it should be pretty interesting. We all know Chris Murphy and Susan Bysiewicz are running. What I haven't seen mentioned here yet is State Rep William Tong's candidacy, announced last week.

http://www.thedailywestport.com/news/tong-run-liebermans-senate-seat

He is a Lieberman ally and somewhat right wing. I really doubt he will gain much traction, possibly not even getting through convention. With Susan's total incompetence, this means Murphy remains the only option for Connecticut Democrats.

Also, I'm hearing Caliguri may run again. He very well could win an open seat since CT-05 probably wont become more Democratic. Sam already followed Murphy to the State Senate by winning his open seat in the 16th. That being said, Caliguri is pretty conservative compared to the Nancy Johnson type of Republican that would play well here.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 02:04:53 PM »

William Tong would have been better off running for State Senate

Yeah, I don't want him there either. He thought it would be wrong for Democrats to challenge Lieberman.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:50:46 PM »
« Edited: May 15, 2011, 09:47:17 PM by Speaker Napoleon »

http://woodbury-middlebury.patch.com/articles/seeking-the-democratic-senate-nomination-2

Stupid Susan thinks Iraq and Afghanistan only cost us two billion dollars a year.

And Some Dude 2010 write in candidate Brian Hill is the first Republican entry. The good news is he is far from a teabagger and wantsntoleave Afghanistan. Also, he is black. I can't see him getting anywhere but he could become one of those Allen West military blacks that Republicans eat up. Republicans do have a history of nominating candidates with no political experience for major offices in CT.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »

And Some Dude 2010 write in candidate Brian Hill is the first Republican entry. The good news is he is far from a teabagger and wantsntoleave Afghanistan. Also, he is black. I can't see him getting anywhere but he could become one of those Allen West military blacks that Republicans eat up. Republicans do have a history of nominating candidates with no political experience for major offices in CT.

This guy will soon be squeezed into a footnote in the history of the 2012 Senate race once Linda McMahon's campaign war-machine revs up. Though who wouldn't love to see what would happen if a town like Hartland was forced to choose between a white Democrat and a black Republican... Wink

Linda can waste her many however she chooses but she will have a worse showing than 2010. I can't believe the GaoP is considering renominating her.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 08:05:28 AM »

I think it is fair to say that Connecticut is more of a one-party state today than it has ever been after the last world war.
Soon Lieberman will be gone as well.

And deservedly so.
Connecticut Republicans can't stay reactionary on social issues and nominate nobodies and expect to win. Someonevlike Chris Shays could make the race a toss up.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 08:16:05 AM »

I think it is fair to say that Connecticut is more of a one-party state today than it has ever been after the last world war.
Soon Lieberman will be gone as well.

And deservedly so.
Connecticut Republicans can't stay reactionary on social issues and nominate nobodies and expect to win. Someonevlike Chris Shays could make the race a toss up.

But the Republicans don't have anyone even remotely like Chris Shays left. Shays himself is damaged goods, and every indication says that the GOP is going to make a sharp turn to the right in the near future.

Murphy is too strong of a candidate to draw a semi-decent challenger, especially with that open seat in CT-05. I think Shays could beat Byswiecz. To put it more simply, Republicans are screwed here for quite some time.
I wonder what race Tong is trying to raise his statewide profile for.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 04:29:07 PM »

That incompetent embarrassment Byswiecz is running for Senate?  If Democrats are stupid enough to nominate her in the primary, Republicans just might have a chance to pick up the seat.  But I doubt most Connecticut Democrats are that stupid, are they?

I doubt it; I would never cast a vote for her for any office. But she could still beat a stooge like McMahon handily.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

I doubt it; I would never cast a vote for her for any office. But she could still beat a stooge like McMahon handily.

McMahon would beat Byswiecz handily.  Byswiecz is no Blumenthal.  She's more like a Coakley.  McMahon's money could be used to define her negatively in a way that couldn't work with Blumenthal.  There's plenty of material to do so with.

McMahon is very hated here, the partisan lean of Connecticut means she will lose. Simmons maybe could if he raised some cash, but Linda will just be wasting more money. Blumenthal also had problems of his own and what I expect for 2012 will be an environment less favorable to Republicans.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »

Looks like I was right about Chris Shays considering a bid.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:08 PM »

Can't wait to get rid of this POS!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 07:33:12 PM »

Who said anything about bipartisanship?
Loserman said that "Democrats have departed from a robust foreign policy" as we bomb the crap out of Islamic nations.

I do admit it is nice to see he is finally referred to as a neoconservative instead of a moderate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
« Edited: May 27, 2011, 11:46:38 AM by Speaker Napoleon »

Yep. It's sad so many people look down on their politicians reaching across the aisle to lend a helping hand.

That's not really what Lieberman does, but ok.

He has shown himself to be the master of intellectual dishonesty on this forum so you shouldn't be surprised at this.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2011, 01:30:31 PM »

Quit twisting words and tossing non-sequitirs if that's how you really feel. No one in this thread or that article attacked bipartisanship.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2011, 01:53:22 PM »

Quit twisting words and tossing non-sequitirs if that's how you really feel. No one in this thread or that article attacked bipartisanship.
You called Lieberman a POS, which is quite immature, btw, and linked it to an article which talks about Lieberman working across the aisle with Freshman Republicans, which as much as you may dislike him doing it, it is certainly an act of bi-partisanship. What you posted could easily be interpretated as attacking Lieberman's bi-partisanship actions.

It can only be interpreted that way if you literally can't read the post directly above yours, but this seems to be common with you for some reason or another. On to ignore.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 12:36:37 AM »

William Tong raised only $550k this quarter.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 10:08:36 AM »

William Tong raised only $550k this quarter.

That's actually pretty impressive, considering he's just a state legislator. Is he getting all of the Lieberman money?

Yeah, they are pretty close.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »

If I recall correctly, she is waiting until January to make a decision. If she gets in, she will have the support at the convention just like last time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2011, 01:04:06 PM »
« Edited: July 11, 2011, 11:54:26 PM by Senator Napoleon »

If I recall correctly, she is waiting until January to make a decision. If she gets in, she will have the support at the convention just like last time.
I just don't see why the party would take another chance on her - if she couldn't win in 2010 with such a favorable Republican climate, how can they expect her to win in a more even year with Obama on the ballot?

Even without Chris Healy she has the support. It isn't as if Jodi Rell will run. I think she would lose to Murphy anyways.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 01:58:53 PM »

New entry Sylvester Salcedo has no chance. Yeah, he's never held office before and isn't a self funder.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 10:48:13 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 10:51:41 PM by Napoleon »

Chris Murphy voted against the debt ceiling bill, calling it how I see it: a manufactured crisis.

I was not his biggest fan at first but it has become clearer over the campaign's course that Murphy has what it takes to make up for Joe Lieberman. This guy is the real deal.

Speaking of Lieberman, he is working with Coburn to kill Social Security, using "national security" as a justification and referencing Islamic extremism. What an asshole!
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 04:09:17 PM »

This is great! McMahon is set to announce next week and will be raising outside money. I guess $50 million is too much to spend on another loss if it is her own money.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 04:20:12 PM »

Also of note: Tong, who I noted earlier as a Lieberman supporter, is outraising the hopelessly incompetent Bysiewicz these days. Still, the anti-Washington rhetoric won't make a dent in Chris Murphy.

Scott, who are you supporting? I know who Homely was supporting but I'm curious if anyone else is in the Murphy camp besides myself.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2011, 04:10:23 PM »

McMahon leads Shays 50-35 in Quinnipiac's poll. Her favorables are an awful 38/45.
Murphy leads 36-26 over Bysiewicz in the primary and 49-38 over McMahon in the general.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2011, 04:14:21 PM »

Lieberman considering supporting Chris Shays.

Good for him (and Murphy!).
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »

Whatever the result, the Senate will be much better off with Lieberman, Lugar, and McCain out of it. Hopefully they all soon join Spector in retirement or being primaried. It's one thing to be bipartisan, but all of those politicians I named are opportunists, who deliberately have no political spine to win praise from the media. They aren't even in states that are hostile to their respective parties where they would need to be moderate like Brown, Collins, and Snowe are.

Yes. They treat the Senate like their country club instead of the political body it is. They don't represent any more, they live off the names they built for themselves and can no longer live up to.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies