New Jersey Turns Against Christie
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:05:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New Jersey Turns Against Christie
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7
Author Topic: New Jersey Turns Against Christie  (Read 30688 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 01, 2012, 01:41:34 AM »
« edited: March 01, 2012, 01:43:41 AM by Nathan »

That 38% that disapprove of Christie seems suspiciously close to the percent of New Jersey residents who are on welfare, food stamps, Section 8, are menbers of the teacher's union, or are state employees or in some way depend on the government for their livelihoods.

The Abbott districts that steal state funds from the suburbs consist of about 20% of the population.

New Jersey has roughly 3.9 million employed, and 625k employed in the public sector. There's the other 16%.

There's a tad of overlap, and some random haters, but the rest of the state loves the Big Dog.

And of course those are just little people to be disregarded in the relentless march of livin da affluent suburbanite lyfe, ne~?

Seriously, it's not 'stealing state funds from the suburbs' if you actually recognize that both the suburbs and the Abbott districts are part of the whole interlocking web of existences called the State of New Jersey, as both the State of New Jersey and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, for example, are part of the United States of America.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #101 on: March 01, 2012, 02:51:20 AM »

That 38% that disapprove of Christie seems suspiciously close to the percent of New Jersey residents who are on welfare, food stamps, Section 8, are menbers of the teacher's union, or are state employees or in some way depend on the government for their livelihoods.

That 55% that approve of Christie seems suspiciously close to the percent of New Jersey residents who have an IQ of below 105.

See? I can make up my own unproven statistics too.

Oh, and ftr, many of those who do approve of Christie presumably support abortion bans and same-sex marriage bans, and hence "depend on the government".
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

The Abbott districts that steal state funds from the suburbs consist of about 20% of the population.

New Jersey has roughly 3.9 million employed, and 625k employed in the public sector. There's the other 16%.

There's a tad of overlap, and some random haters, but the rest of the state loves the Big Dog.

And of course those are just little people to be disregarded in the relentless march of livin da affluent suburbanite lyfe, ne~?

Seriously, it's not 'stealing state funds from the suburbs' if you actually recognize that both the suburbs and the Abbott districts are part of the whole interlocking web of existences called the State of New Jersey, as both the State of New Jersey and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, for example, are part of the United States of America.

Well, if suburban voters thought so, they would have voted for legislators to implement a program like the Abbott program, and they certainly would not have made Chris Christie Governor of New Jersey.

But no state legislature even in Massachusetts or New Jersey is willing to openly support such a rancid confiscation of wealth to that extreme. Hence of course it was forced upon the public by unaccountable judges.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »

Abbott proved a very important thing: That flooding poor districts with cash doesn't make for higher test scores. That said, it is absolutely the case that wealthier areas should help support poorer areas of those poorer areas would otherwise be severely underfunded.

IMO, the most objectionable part of Abbott is the use of 1970s era numbers to determine which districts are in need. By including Hoboken into the Abbott mix, a town that really needs the help gets edged out.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #104 on: March 01, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »

Well, if suburban voters thought so, they would have voted for legislators to implement a program like the Abbott program, and they certainly would not have made Chris Christie Governor of New Jersey.

But no state legislature even in Massachusetts or New Jersey is willing to openly support such a rancid confiscation of wealth to that extreme. Hence of course it was forced upon the public by unaccountable judges.

That was my point. That suburban voters were in this case motivated by rank small-minded self-interested avarice and bizarre resentment of people worse off than they are.

Massachusetts doesn't feel the need to do court-ordered rigamaroles like the Abbott program because the citizenry of Massachusetts is somewhat more reasonable than that of New Jersey about taxation and what taxes are needed to fund desired programs in general, and there's less outright hatred by people in the affluent suburbs of anywhere that is not an affluent suburb (although that's also because comparatively less of the population lives in affluent suburbs). Then again, we use sales and luxury rather than property taxes for the most part.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2012, 03:09:04 PM »

Massachusetts doesn't feel the need to do court-ordered rigamaroles like the Abbott program because the citizenry of Massachusetts is somewhat more reasonable than that of New Jersey about taxation and what taxes are needed to fund desired programs in general, and there's less outright hatred by people in the affluent suburbs of anywhere that is not an affluent suburb (although that's also because comparatively less of the population lives in affluent suburbs). Then again, we use sales and luxury rather than property taxes for the most part.

Let me guess: You're not a property tax payer. Massachusetts redistributes in a way similar to New Jersey, in a way that generates similar levels of upset. I'm just fortunate that I live in one of those towns that gets state aid -- helps keep my own property taxes in check ($4,000+ per year).
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2012, 04:58:13 PM »

Let me guess: You're not a property tax payer. Massachusetts redistributes in a way similar to New Jersey, in a way that generates similar levels of upset. I'm just fortunate that I live in one of those towns that gets state aid -- helps keep my own property taxes in check ($4,000+ per year).

Education dollars spent per student are far lower in Massachusetts of course.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2012, 07:10:12 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2012, 07:15:40 PM by Nathan »

Guessed correctly! Why would I be a property tax payer? I'm a poor and live in a dorm room. I also live in western Massachusetts so forgive me if I have little sympathy for people in the Boston exurbs who feel they're being shortchanged somehow (and apparently don't know particularly much about them or their feelings, partially because they don't seem to be quite as large a segment of the population as in New Jersey. I apologize for not being very aware of this particular segment of the population). I assure you, pretty much everybody who is significantly outside the 495 beltway is upset for almost opposite reasons.

I've been saying for a long time that if anybody wants to understand why Massachusetts distributes the way it does--whether that includes property taxation or not, which is a subject that we've established I'm not immensely familiar with--should just visit Athol or Montague or Palmer.

And the education system is actually somewhat crappier in Massachusetts, as somebody who's been in both.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2012, 08:38:44 PM »

Not true, they're largely identical.

2009 spending per student in NJ: $13,601
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/nj_school_report_card_annual.html

2010 spending per student in MA: $13,055
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/state_report/ppx.aspx
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »

Not true, they're largely identical.

2009 spending per student in NJ: $13,601
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/02/nj_school_report_card_annual.html

2010 spending per student in MA: $13,055
http://profiles.doe.mass.edu/state_report/ppx.aspx

Interesting...census bureau data says otherwise. I suspect this might be why for the NJ number. I don't know how they calculate the Massachusetts number.

1) The Comparative Cost Per Pupil represents comparisons with districts of similar budget type. The components that comprise the comparative cost per pupil are as follows: classroom instructional costs; support services (attendance and social work, health services, guidance office, child study team, library and other educational media); administrative costs (general administration, school administration, business administration, and improvement of instruction); operations/maintenance of plant; food services, and extracurricular costs. The total of these expenditures is divided by the average daily enrollment to calculate a total comparative cost per pupil.

(2) Second is the Total Cost Per Pupil which, in addition to all of the costs listed above for the comparative cost, includes costs for tuition expenditures and payments to preschool providers; transportation; other current expenses (lease purchase interest, residential costs, and judgments against schools); equipment; facilities/acquisition; and restricted expenses less nonpublic services and adult schools. The total of these expenditures is divided by the average daily enrollment, combined with all students sent out of the district as reported on the ASSA (annual state aid collection) to calculate a total cost per pupil.

The data I have comes from here and is on table 8.

http://www.census.gov/govs/school/

MAL $14118
NJ: $16271

Coming in at a bargain deal is Utah at less than half these.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #110 on: March 13, 2012, 11:31:01 AM »

http://www.politickernj.com/55490/fdu-poll-christie-job-approval-54

Governor Chris Christie continues to ride high in public approval, putting up his best numbers since March of 2009, just weeks after he took office. According to the most recent statewide survey by Fairleigh Dickinson University’s PublicMind™, 54% of New Jersey voters approve of the job Christie is doing, while 34% disapprove, and 12% are mixed or not sure. Moreover, half of voters (50%) rate the job he has been doing as “good” or “excellent.”
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »

http://www.politickernj.com/62253/christies-approval-rating-78-percent-according-new-poll

With less than 10 months until voters head to the polls to choose the governor to lead the state for the next four years, Gov. Chris Christie has a 78 percent approval rating, according to a new poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2013, 04:44:18 PM »

http://www.politickernj.com/62253/christies-approval-rating-78-percent-according-new-poll

With less than 10 months until voters head to the polls to choose the governor to lead the state for the next four years, Gov. Chris Christie has a 78 percent approval rating, according to a new poll.

Dominating
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2013, 05:16:38 PM »

Dominating

He will win re-election (and I support him in that endeavor), but can he get through your crazy party's primary in 2016?
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #114 on: January 10, 2013, 05:36:05 PM »

Holy hell, Christie could win all 21 counties at this point.

Troubling for the GOP, though: Christie isn't popular because Republicans are popular. Christie is popular for telling national Republicans to go f- themselves -- for being the first person with power to have the sense to say to his own party, "holy hell, what the f- is wrong with you?"

Both New Jersey Democrats and New Jersey Republicans are cheering that way too loudly. Support for Christie is deep, but I would not want to be a GOP congressman or state house member up for re-election in 2013/4. Democrats and Independents are going to want to take their revenge out on someone, politically, and Republicans are just going to be all too OK with letting them do that.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #115 on: January 23, 2013, 10:45:43 AM »

Christie's approval rating is at 74% in the latest Quinnipiac poll.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #116 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:46 PM »

Mark Zuckerberg is even getting in on the act. He will be throwing a fundraiser for Christie.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #117 on: January 24, 2013, 04:43:38 PM »

Mark Zuckerberg is even getting in on the act. He will be throwing a fundraiser for Christie.
I would've thought Mark Zuckerberg would be a raging liberal.  Guess I was wrong.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #118 on: January 25, 2013, 12:55:27 AM »

I would've thought Mark Zuckerberg would be a raging liberal.  Guess I was wrong.

What has he done that suggests rage? He strikes me as a clam, cool person. Obviously, as a techie he has a liberal orientation. It shouldn't be a surprise to see him supporting someone he's worked with on policy. He worked with Christie on some education reform ideas.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #119 on: January 25, 2013, 11:33:48 AM »

Just breaking: Codey will not run against Christie for Governor.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #120 on: January 25, 2013, 12:02:59 PM »

Just Buono? Man this will be a cake walk for Christie. (Yes, I am aware of what I just said)
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2013, 01:45:29 PM »

Just Buono? Man this will be a cake walk for Christie. (Yes, I am aware of what I just said)

LoL.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2013, 09:18:16 PM »

Pascrell might run, some inner circles have noted, but he also might be irrelevant. How does he stand against Christie, if there are any polls including Pascrell?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2013, 11:08:02 PM »

A new SUSA poll shows these awful numbers for Christie:

Do you approve or disapprove of the job Chris Christie is doing as Governor?
Approve 38%
Disapprove 56%

Should Governor Chris Christie run for President of the United States in 2012? Not run for President? Or do you not know enough to say?
Should Run 15%
Should Not 73%

Compared to Barack Obama, would Christie be a better President? A worse President? Or would he be about the same?
Better 29%
Worse 53%
About The Same 14%

Compared to George W. Bush, would Christie be a better President? A worse President? Or would he be about the same?
Better 25%
Worse 30%
About The Same 32%

http://www.surveyusa.com/client/PollReport.aspx?g=5ef5275c-3166-493d-aecb-3d856c8705a5

I have a map in progress showing the ability of state governors to get good results for themselves. This looks like an outlier, and it is hard to see how Christie could suddenly become as unpopular as Scott, Kasich, Walker, or Snyder.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »

That poll is a year-and-a-half old, champ.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies