is marital rape a constitutionally protected right accd. to this language?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:28:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Constitution and Law (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  is marital rape a constitutionally protected right accd. to this language?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: see below. majority decision in Griswold v CT
yes

no

other (explain)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: is marital rape a constitutionally protected right accd. to this language?  (Read 1052 times)
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2011, 12:42:55 AM »

Would we allow the police to search the sacred precincts of marital bedrooms for telltale signs of the use of contraceptives? The [p486] very idea is repulsive to the notions of privacy surrounding the marriage relationship.

We deal with a right of privacy older than the Bill of Rights -- older than our political parties, older than our school system. Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred. It is an association that promotes a way of life, not causes; a harmony in living, not political faiths; a bilateral loyalty, not commercial or social projects. Yet it is an association for as noble a purpose as any involved in our prior decisions.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 02:32:54 AM »

I'm not sure that existed marital rape existed as a legal concept in Griswold's time (though it of course existed as a reality).  That said, I don't think it does mean that any more than it means that spousal abuse or spousal homicide are protected in the sacred grounds of the marital bedroom.  There's a significant difference between ridiculous and unenforceable victimless crimes like the Connecticut absurd ban on marital couples using contraceptives, or, in a more recent example of the rhetoric of privacy of bedroom relations, Lawrence v. Texas, and what you're talking about.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 12:34:43 AM »

Pennsylvania didn't admit the possibility of marital rape until 1982-83.  Ironically, I was reading the Nibelungenlied at the time.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »

No, of course not. The privacy in question here is meant to refer to the privacy between two consenting adults - in the case of marital rape the victim would have the lawful right to allow law enforcement into the bedroom to collect evidence and have a medical examiner look at her body to document physical evidence of the abuse.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2011, 01:29:34 AM »

Pennsylvania didn't admit the possibility of marital rape until 1982-83.  Ironically, I was reading the Nibelungenlied at the time.

I remember. Then governor, later US Atty Gen. Dick Thornburgh, opposed the reform in that it might prompt "frivolous" rape claims. Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies