What kind of camera do you have ?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:20:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What kind of camera do you have ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What kind of camera do you have ?  (Read 732 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:31 AM »

Currently I have about a 7 year old camera, but for my US-visit I´m gonna buy a new Sony camera:

Sony DSC-HX9V

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666290110#additionalImage1%22
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 10:17:12 AM »

This is not bad.  At 16 megapixels, you're getting into overkill.  How many pixels does your monitor actually have, even on its highest setting?  Unless you intend to blow everything up to poster size, then anything more than about 4 megapixels is overdone.

That said, I have an 8 megapixel camera myself. 
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 10:22:19 AM »

This is not bad.  At 16 megapixels, you're getting into overkill.  How many pixels does your monitor actually have, even on its highest setting?  Unless you intend to blow everything up to poster size, then anything more than about 4 megapixels is overdone.

That said, I have an 8 megapixel camera myself. 

The 16 megapixels is not really what I care about (as you said it is important only for bigger picture like in a photo-book, or for posters, which I cannot rule out ordering after the US visit), but I have already tested the camera at a local shop and it makes very good pictures.

Also the good zoom is very important and if I wanted more zoom, I need to buy a DSLR, which I´m not really interested in.

And the Sweep Panorama function is also very good, as well as the 3D and GPS function (which I´m probably not really using though).

The HD-Videos on the other hand, I will probably make a lot of these videos.

Alltogether, I think this is a good camera and as you can see on the side, it also has good grip.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »

Grip is good.  I generally try stuff out in stores, then order on-line. 

I took a long time to warm up to digital photography.  I was still using my film camera as recently as 5 years ago.  It's a nice minolta with a heavy zoom lens.  The kind you adjust by turning with your other hand, the old-fashioned way.  I always got excellent pictures.

Then, my wife got a Sony 4.2-megapixel camera, and I haven't taken a decent picture since.  I think it's because I know I can shoot with impunity.  So I'm impatient.  Instead of waiting an hour in the mosquito-infested jungle for that toucan to fly over, I just start shooting right away.  Hey, I'm not wasting film.  And I take, like, five pictures of everything, knowing that at least one of them will turn out right.  So, when I get back from vacation, instead of having one hundred really kick-ass photos, I have five hundred mediocre ones.

About a year ago I bought an 8 megapixel digital zoom camera.  I got that one because it's waterproof to 150 meters.  I wanted something good for diving, and I was tired of those little disposable ones which you can take down to about 5 meters, but if you go deeper they suck in and don't work anymore, even after you come back up to five meters depth.

Now, we generally use the 4.2 Sony for everyday use, and when I go the tropics or anywhere else where I might find myself under 100 feet of seawater, I bring my 8 megapixel Sea Life camera.  Like you, I haven't tried out all the features. 

And I still come home with 500 mediocre pictures.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:38:35 AM »

This one, and I love it.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »

I have a Canon PowerShot SX100 IS. I couldn't have told you that except for looking at the thing.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:48:01 PM »

None of course.  Oh wait a minute no, I do have a hot camera some guy sold me a few years ago.  I think I've used it maybe 3 times since.  Don't like cameras.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:52:15 PM »

JVC Everio.

Wait, you mean still camera. In this case Samsung ES10
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 04:22:29 PM »

I just use my iPhone to take pictures of things.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 08:57:35 PM »

Sony Cyber-shot W330.  Pretty decent camera for the price (until it gets knocked out of your hand). 
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies