2011 Jacksonville Mayoral Election
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:33:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2011 Jacksonville Mayoral Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2011 Jacksonville Mayoral Election  (Read 2228 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 17, 2011, 08:49:07 PM »

With 252 out of 256 precincts reporting, the Republican is ahead by 14 votes out of 188,520 cast.

Jacksonville is a pretty Republican city (it voted for Bush by a wide margin both times and also voted for McCain) so this could be big for Florida Democrats.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 09:22:03 PM »

The remaining for precincts went 58%-42% for Sink.  The Democrat should end up winning by around 500 votes in the end. 
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 09:34:20 PM »

With 252 out of 256 precincts reporting, the Republican is ahead by 14 votes out of 188,520 cast.

Jacksonville is a pretty Republican city (it voted for Bush by a wide margin both times and also voted for McCain) so this could be big for Florida Democrats.

Did it Vote for McCain?  I thought just the county did and the city itself was like 49-48 Obama.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 09:41:01 PM »

The city and county governments are consolidated, so it's the entire county.

Regardless, the Democrat is reportedly a DINO, so probably not much for Democrats to get excited about.
Mississippi Political Freak
ECPolitico
Rookie
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 10:35:48 PM »

The city and county governments are consolidated, so it's the entire county.

Regardless, the Democrat is reportedly a DINO, so probably not much for Democrats to get excited about.

I strongly agree here.  According to the official election night counts, Alvin Brown the nominal Dem (but fiscally conservative and business-friendly) leads Mike Hogan, the GOP Duval County Tax Collector by 603 votes, pending the tally on absentee and provisional votes; and a possible recount.  Apparently, an unusual local dynamic is in play here, as those who voted for the third-place finisher in March, Audrey Moran (a moderate Republican) largely vote for Brown tonight. 

Meanwhile, Hogan seems to take his party affiliation and his first-place finish in March for granted, and is content to cater just to his Tea Party base plus some public union supporters, and no further.  On the other hand, Brown worked somewhat harder to reach out more diverse groups of voters.  Even the usually conservative Florida Times-Union (Arguably the most conservative major Florida daily paper) lamented Hogan's lack of policy specifics and avoidance of debates in its endorsement of Brown.  Finally, the business establishment there seems to desert Hogan in droves due to his hard-right campaign.  All these local dynamics may potentially lead to Hogan's eventual narrow defeat in a race that should be a shoo-in for most GOP candidates.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »

The Democrat, Alvin Brown, is now up by 600 votes. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2011, 12:06:03 AM »

DINO > Tea Party Republican (i.e. 99% of them in the south) X a billion.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2011, 05:28:16 PM »

The Democrat now leads by 1,627 votes which is out of recount range.

We also picked up a seat on the City Council.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 06:15:03 PM »

The woman who won the city council seat is a religious nut.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 06:28:54 PM »

The woman who won the city council seat is a religious nut.

Well aren't you Mr. Positive today. Tongue
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 07:12:48 PM »

This is a press release, so I think I'm okay in quoting it all.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But wait, there's more!

And on, and on, and on... The woman is insane.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 07:30:32 PM »

Jacksonville gets what it deserves, then. Not that it probably matters in the grand scheme of things. I doubt she'll have much influence.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »

I was wondering why someone like that would be a Democrat until I noticed the slavery comment and realized she had to be black. I guess the blacks voted for her, the few white liberals in Jacksonville might've done so on blind partisanship being unaware of what she was like, and some fundies crossed over to her.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 09:45:46 PM »

Also she's clearly not very familiar with modern day Africa, as the parts of Africa where most slaves came from are predominately Christian today.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2011, 01:38:47 AM »

Lol.  Well, I'd be lying if if I said I didn't think a significant portion blacks agreed with her on much of this stuff, but those kind of blacks usually don't make it past the primaries.  Did she already win (I'm assuming she's running in an Uber-Safe Black district), or is the election for this position on a different day?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2011, 01:39:47 AM »

Lol.  Well, I'd be lying if if I said I didn't think a significant portion blacks agreed with her on much of this stuff, but those kind of blacks usually don't make it past the primaries.  Did she already win (I'm assuming she's running in an Uber-Safe Black district), or is the election for this position on a different day?

She already won, and it was an at-large, citywide district.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2011, 02:02:50 AM »

Wow, and this just came out now?  Someone obviously didn't do their job very well if this slipped by.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2011, 11:50:32 AM »

Wow, and this just came out now?  Someone obviously didn't do their job very well if this slipped by.

The TWO press release was put out a month ago. This was already out in the open.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »

The TWO press release was put out a month ago. This was already out in the open.

In urban areas, there is little care nor need for positions on issues. Elections are instead decided by racial or machine politics.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 08:41:57 PM »

In urban areas, there is little care nor need for positions on issues. Elections are instead decided by racial or machine politics.

Sometimes.  Sometimes not. 
comatose
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2011, 09:13:20 PM »

if it is a D pick-up, I would not assume that it is a safe black district.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies