Clegg's Lords proposals are made of fail
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:16:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Clegg's Lords proposals are made of fail
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Clegg's Lords proposals are made of fail  (Read 13237 times)
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

If Clegg had any grapefruits at all, he'd withdraw his support from the government before it's too late for them
...and resign from British politics and go raise sheep in New Zealand.

No......no.....NOOOO!!!!!!!!
Chatham Island maybe?

I was thinking more the Pitcairn Islands Smiley

Seriously the guy sounds like a slippery, patronizing w****r.

As long as Lord Clegg of Hallam is as far away from Parliament as possible by the end of May 2015, everything'll be okay.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2012, 06:40:35 PM »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/cameron-to-defy-clegg-over-boundary-changes-8015834.html

Cameron is to push through Boundary Changes with or without the Liberals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nick is "crying to music" right now, as he does "regularly".
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2012, 07:38:17 PM »

Correction: Cameron is going to attempt to push through boundary changes with or without the Liberals, and fail if it's the latter, because the Conservatives are a minority.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2012, 06:40:03 AM »

This would be an incredibly stupid issue to die in a ditch for. Just saying.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2012, 09:29:17 AM »

Would someone with more knowledge of the constitution clarify for me? Wouldn't all the LibDem ministers have to resign if that was to happen, Cameron trying to shove them through parliament? If that's the case, I wonder how long Clegg'll go before making a u-turn on "I'm not supporting the boundaries".

I'm assuming Cameron's banking on the LibDems not wanting to go for the early election, for obvious reasons.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:40 PM »

Would someone with more knowledge of the constitution clarify for me? Wouldn't all the LibDem ministers have to resign if that was to happen, Cameron trying to shove them through parliament?

Logically, the ministerial solidarity is a custom, but I don't think it forcing resignation.
Cameron may sack them, through.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »

Only technically.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

As is our constitution.

If they didn't resign, it'd set dangerous precedent for future divided cabinets (such as Major and Brown's and even Blair's at times). Again, as is our constitution.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #83 on: August 08, 2012, 06:39:18 PM »

Is he perhaps trying to set a point of differentiation from the Conservatives, to try to pacify the half of the Lib Dem supporters he upset by backing the Coalition?
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #84 on: August 08, 2012, 07:26:56 PM »
« Edited: August 08, 2012, 07:42:55 PM by Nathan »

Is he perhaps trying to set a point of differentiation from the Conservatives, to try to pacify the half of the Lib Dem supporters he upset by backing the Coalition?

Possibly, but are Lords reform and damn boundary changes really what those people were in it for?

[I really don't see the use of having a House of Lords if it's not to at least some extent possible to be hereditary. The element of 'luck of the draw' in that respect strikes me as partially the point and rather than have the half-formed abortion of an upper house that currently exists or other versions of such that are being proposed and have been proposed it strikes me as more sensible to just put 'another place' out to pasture like an old grey mare and henceforth use the concept of the nobility as a knighthood-type honor without a necessary political aspect to it the way they do or are supposed to do in Belgium and Spain. But I digress.]
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2012, 07:32:41 PM »

Those voters were supporters, past tense. Something as trivial to the man on the street as the boundary changes isn't going to win back the 60% of their 2010 voters that they've lost.
Rhodie
Rookie
South Africa

« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2012, 02:24:48 AM »

Those voters were supporters, past tense. Something as trivial to the man on the street as the boundary changes isn't going to win back the 60% of their 2010 voters that they've lost.

But I thought their voters basically were more middle class liberal types who cared about such issues a Lords Reform.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2012, 03:30:30 AM »

But I thought their voters basically were more middle class liberal types who cared about such issues a Lords Reform.

No voter cares about Lords Reform, neither boundary changes.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2012, 01:51:21 PM »

They probably broadly support it, but it's not likely to be a make or break issue.  And note that the Lib Dems haven't achieved Lords reform (or electoral reform) but they have signed up to Osbornomics, high tuition fees, NHS "reform" and various bright ideas that have come into Michael Gove's head; I doubt their more left-wing (ex-)voters see much to be impressed about.
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2012, 03:22:31 PM »

The ones you find on online election forums are, yes...
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2012, 12:54:29 PM »

I'm assuming Cameron's banking on the LibDems not wanting to go for the early election, for obvious reasons.
The reason being that he knows Nick Clegg well and does not consider him a vertebrate?
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2012, 02:52:02 PM »

The reason being that he knows Nick Clegg well and does not consider him a vertebrate?

The obvious reason for the Liberals wanting to avoid an election at all costs being that predicted swing from 24% to 10%.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2012, 02:53:00 PM »

Because the Tories would be perfectly happy with new elections caused by a collapse of the coalition?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2012, 07:41:07 PM »

Exactly, an election right now wouldn't suit either party.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies