Overrepresented and underrepresented areas in Congress (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:10:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Overrepresented and underrepresented areas in Congress (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Overrepresented and underrepresented areas in Congress  (Read 7234 times)
Dgov
United States

« on: May 18, 2011, 06:45:28 PM »

over-rep: Baltimore + Suburbs--about 2 districts worth of population and 4 incumbents.

Under-Rep: Tarrant County Texas, with about 3 Districts worth of population and only 1 Representative.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 11:01:52 PM »

over-rep: Baltimore + Suburbs--about 2 districts worth of population and 4 incumbents.

Under-Rep: Tarrant County Texas, with about 3 Districts worth of population and only 1 Representative.

I've heard conflicting info on that. Granger is from Ft. Worth. Not sure if Joe Barton is from Arlington or Johnson County. If its the latter, a new GOP Tarrant County district will be drawn this cycle.

He's from Ennis, which is in Ellis County.  Johnson COunty is in TX-17, which is Represented by Bill Flores.

Although an Arlington-Johnson County CD is probably a good creation for the GOP, now that they don't need the Dallas Burbs in the 17th to beat Edwards.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 01:28:56 AM »

Okay, I decided to test this with the 201 US Census Numbers and 2008 election (via NYT website), and here are the Results, compared to the 2010 house district allotment:

Washington: -1
Oregon: + 1
California: -11 (Yes, 11)
Nevada: -1
Arizona: -2
Utah: -1
Montana: +1
Colorado: + 1
Texas: -8
Minnesota: +2
Iowa: +1
Missouri: +2
Louisiana: +1
Wisconsin: +2
Michigan: +3
Ohio: +2
Georgia: -1
North Carolina: +2
Florida: +1
Virginia: +2
West Virginia: -1
Maryland: +1
Pennsylvania: +2
New York: -3
Massachusetts: +1
Maine: +1
Connecticut: +1

And one additional one from Rounding that would probably go to New Hampshire.

And, for the Obama/McCain EVs, the result would have been + 10 Obama from the 2010 Numbers, or +4 form the 2000 Numbers.  Mostly a Shift from Texas and California back to the Midwest.
Dgov
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 03:34:36 PM »

Okay, I decided to test this with the 201 US Census Numbers and 2008 election (via NYT website), and here are the Results, compared to the 2010 house district allotment:

And, for the Obama/McCain EVs, the result would have been + 10 Obama from the 2010 Numbers, or +4 form the 2000 Numbers.  Mostly a Shift from Texas and California back to the Midwest.

Interesting results.

Amongst larger states:

New York is pretty fairly allocated, since they don't connect NYC to other parts of the state more than once.

California has an extra seat I believe in the Bay Area for now.

Roanoke, VA I believe has 2 reps that reside in districts that stretch long distances north and west.

Roanoke itself only has 1 (Bob Goode), but nearby Salem has one.

Speaking of Virginia though, the Tidewater region has 4 districts when it only deserves 2.5, and Rural North Virginia has none when it deserves 1.5.  The region is cracked between the 1st, 6th, 7th, and 10th in order to make all of them more Republican
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies