Ukranian miners.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:06:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ukranian miners.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ukranian miners.  (Read 847 times)
patrick1
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 07, 2004, 04:37:49 AM »

Maybe Al can let me know what is going on.  I was watching Euronews the other day and they mentioned that the Donetsk region miners and the area where threatening succession over the election results.  I THINK* they wanted the "Russian backed candidate" to remain the victor.  Is this merely a ethnic thing? and what is the gripe of the miners in the region?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2004, 04:56:30 AM »

Maybe Al can let me know what is going on.  I was watching Euronews the other day and they mentioned that the Donetsk region miners and the area where threatening succession over the election results.  I THINK* they wanted the "Russian backed candidate" to remain the victor.  Is this merely a ethnic thing? and what is the gripe of the miners in the region?

When Yushchenko was Prime Minister he began a massive pit closure programme and miners were often unpaid for months.
Yanukovych has sent subsidies to some pits and has raised wages and pensions (albeit by a small amount).
He used to be Governer of the Donetsk, and while people there are well aware he could stand in the shadow of a corkscrew they don't really have a choice who to vote for (besides... most are convinced that Yushchenko is also crooked).
It's a very sad situtation and has gone mostly unreported in the Western Media.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies