Gay Marriage Referendum Coming to Minnesota (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:29:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gay Marriage Referendum Coming to Minnesota (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Gay Marriage Referendum Coming to Minnesota  (Read 4862 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: May 23, 2011, 06:46:23 PM »
« edited: May 23, 2011, 06:51:34 PM by ilikeverin »

Smith is the biggest surprise, he is from a very right wing (McCain by over 10 points, Emmer by almost 30!) district in the exurbs.

I'm guessing Smith has a close relative who is gay (either sibling or child, or grandchild if he's old).

I think so as well.  Looking around, I don't see any obvious reason for him to vote "no".  Kudos to him; he's a deputy minority leader.

EDIT: Holy crap.  John Kriesel's speech was good.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 11:33:00 PM »

No way MN-2 would be worse than MN-6. MN-2 has the area around Cottage Grove (where Rep. Krisel is from), Northfield, and the areas not too far south of St. Paul which aren't very socially conservative at all. MN-6 doesn't really have anything besides the liberal part of St. Cloud and perhaps Stillwater.

MN-3 also has some pretty far right areas, order will probably be more like this: 5, 4, 8, 3, 1, 2, 6, 7. 7 falls last as it has a lot of socially conservative Democrats, not many in 6 which is just very polarized.

I'm not sure MN-08 will be ahead of MN-03.  Yes, MN-03 does have some very Republican/conservative areas, but they're sparsely populated compared to the Eden Prairie/Edina/Plymouth axis, which are going to be batting much more pro-gay than their partisan alignment would suggest (given how rich, and, more importantly, ridiculously well-educated they are).  I know you love Duluth Democrats, and I know a lot of the "miners are socially conservative!" stuff is BS, but it is the case that MN-08 is probably one of the least well-educated CDs in Minnesota, which isn't going to be great for how relatively pro-gay that district is going to be.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies