The Republican Focus in 2012
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:10:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Republican Focus in 2012
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Republican Focus in 2012  (Read 867 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 23, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »

I've heard a talk recently around Oklahoma saying that with the lackluster Republican Presidential field, would the Republican Party be better suited to aim at retaking the Senate in 2012 rather than defeating President Obama?
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:30:11 AM »

I don't think so Bushie, the top of the ticket raises all boats...lets face it, that is why many people come out to vote. The GOP needs to try and defeat Obama, in order for Obama to put his mighty political machine (you know the whole 1 billion expected donation thing) in defense mode of his administration.

I'll be blunt; I suspect that the GOP's control of the house will be put into play, which is trouble enough let alone 'going after the senate' if the ticket is alienating, or -perhaps even worse- boring.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 04:57:48 PM »

They are one and the same.  An Obama landslide and apathy among GOP voters will carryover in the Congress.
foodgellas

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 11:02:51 AM »

Republicans shouldn't be so glum. The economy is still trudging along, the unemployment rate is still stubbornly high and Americans aren't happy with whats going on in Afghanistan and Libya. The GOP field isn't the best its ever had, but Romney, Huntsman and I guess (I guess..) Pawlenty are solid choices to put up against Obama.

The 2012 race has just started, and it won't be over for a long time yet.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 11:13:05 AM »

Finding some way to avoid having the Ryancare plan, which nearly every House member voted for, from becoming a massive weight tied around the ankle of each representative whose district isn't both solidly Republican and not full of seniors.
DS0816
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:36:53 PM »

I don't think so Bushie, the top of the ticket raises all boats...lets face it, that is why many people come out to vote. The GOP needs to try and defeat Obama, in order for Obama to put his mighty political machine (you know the whole 1 billion expected donation thing) in defense mode of his administration.

I'll be blunt; I suspect that the GOP's control of the house will be put into play, which is trouble enough let alone 'going after the senate' if the ticket is alienating, or -perhaps even worse- boring.

^ QFT.

Republicans would have to win back the White House. That would take the Senate along with it.
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 01:39:45 PM »

This strategy may have worked in 1972, 1984, or maybe even 1996, but now with increased polarization and straight ticket voting, it wouldnt work. 
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 02:11:34 PM »

While I do think the main conflict in the 2012 will be over control of the House and Senate, the party's ticket for president will be that party's 'spokesperson' for that election. 

If the Republicans nominate a boring (coughPawlentycough), crazy (Bachman, Palin, etc.) or very unpopular (like Gingrich) candidate, they'll face the consequences downballot.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies