Vermont makes History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:55:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vermont makes History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Vermont makes History  (Read 4732 times)
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »

Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, Nevada, Oregon, and Kansas are all more rural than Vermont, and all are richer than Vermont.

If you are using GDP per capita this is true. By Human Development Index, however, Vermont is richer more developed (which at least TRIES to be a holistic quality of life measurement, even though it fails in several respects, unlike mere GDP, which only measures the amount of mammon that an area has) than every one of those states except Colorado and Minnesota. Maine, Pennsylvania, and Delaware have lower Human Development Indices than Vermont does.

GDP was a measure created by Keynesian economists in order to make left-wing economic policies look superior (since all government spending is added to GDP, which is why the aforementioned "welfare states" are high).  Finding that even their own tailor-made measure makes their policies look bad, they have since been forced to come up with still more ridiculous measures in order to justify their positions.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2011, 05:52:19 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 05:54:23 PM by Nathan »

Alaska, Wyoming, Colorado, Minnesota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa, North Dakota, Nevada, Oregon, and Kansas are all more rural than Vermont, and all are richer than Vermont.

If you are using GDP per capita this is true. By Human Development Index, however, Vermont is richer more developed (which at least TRIES to be a holistic quality of life measurement, even though it fails in several respects, unlike mere GDP, which only measures the amount of mammon that an area has) than every one of those states except Colorado and Minnesota. Maine, Pennsylvania, and Delaware have lower Human Development Indices than Vermont does.

GDP was a measure created by Keynesian economists in order to make left-wing economic policies look superior (since all government spending is added to GDP, which is why the aforementioned "welfare states" are high).  Finding that even their own tailor-made measure makes their policies look bad, they have since been forced to come up with still more ridiculous measures in order to justify their positions.

I agree with you that GDP is faintly absurd (though probably for different reasons), but it only makes the policies look bad if one's chief concern is money. HDI is actually less ridiculous than GDP, since it takes into account at least some of the things (educational and health institutions) that make someplace actually worth living in.
The Professor
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2011, 05:52:43 PM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.

I'm glad you admire my comic skills, and Mississippi is still richer than Greece.

No it isn't.

And we don't marry our cousins.

2010 GDP per capita, Greece: $28,100
2010 GDP per capita, Mississippi: $33,000

And wrong stereotype (that's Appalachia)..

Trust me dude. We're much better off than the sh**thole under the name "State of Mississippi".
Sometimes instead of looking numbers on your laptop screen, you must get out and experience the real world.

Mississippi is the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway, also known as the "Father of Capitalism". What is your state known for?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.

I'm glad you admire my comic skills, and Mississippi is still richer than Greece.

No it isn't.

Trust me dude. We're much better off than the sh**thole under the name "State of Mississippi".
Sometimes instead of looking numbers on your laptop screen, you must get out and experience the real world.

Mississippi is the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway, also known as the "Father of Capitalism". What is your state known for?

Ernest Hemingway was born in Illinois (are you maybe thinking of Faulkner?), was a writer of fiction, and Greece is not an American state. If you don't know what Greece is 'known for' there's something wrong with you.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »

Vermont didn't get to become the second-poorest state in the Northeast for nothing.

Perhaps it should move itself closer to New York City or Boston.

I haven't done very much research on NY, but if you're suggesting they become more like MA, what with our below-average taxes, below-average spending, capped property taxes, and the 9th lowest amount of state and local government employees (as a % of the population), I'd think that'd be a good start.

Vermont didn't get to become the second-poorest state in the Northeast for nothing.

I bet it's the fault of those damn illegal immigrants sneaking through the Canadian border and getting free education and health care.

Vermont is unique in that it has achieved becoming poor without having any minority populations of note (and by "minority populations" I of course mean "Catholics").  They've really made history.

I assume he was suggesting that major metropolitan areas tend to be richer. Vermont not only lacks one of these, but also lacks the suburbs of one (ie, NH has portions of suburban Boston, CT of suburban New York).

It all depends on the measure you're using.  If you use GSP per capita... you get some weird figures.  DC, for example, has the highest GSP per capita while Mississippi is in last.  Vermont is 30th.  Vermont is higher than the states Wormy mentioned.

If you use household income... Vermont is higher than North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas; basically all of the states that are truly rural like Vermont.  Other rural states poorer than vermont based on household income include Maine, Montana, West Virginia, and Mississippi... and include states with major metropolitan areas:  North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Michigan.

So I'd say you were wrong Wormy.  Sorry.  Gross state product is a terrible measure of wealth.  Household income is a better measure despite wide variance in the cost of living.  But even in the region, the average household in Vermont makes more than the average household in New York, Maine, and Pennsylvania... and is only a few spots behind Rhode Island.

So overall, Vermont is one of the richer states in the northeast.

In contrast... New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and New Jersey are all wealthier.  But Minnesota, California, Colorado, Washington, and Alaska all round out the top as well... and Minnesota, California, and Alaska are hardly low tax, low service states (despite what Sarah Palin may tell you).

I think in the end it comes down to natural resources, homogeneity, workforce participation, and overall worker productivity... not size of government (though regulations do play a role with the exception of natural resource sectors)... that determines overall wealth.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2011, 05:58:46 PM »

I agree with you that GDP is faintly absurd (though probably for different reasons), but it only makes the policies look bad if one's chief concern is money. HDI is actually less ridiculous than GDP, since it takes into account at least some of the things (educational and health institutions) that make someplace actually worth living in.

I'm not sure why that would be high for Vermont, then, since they have crappy schools and you don't exactly want to be in urgent need of open heart surgery over there.  I suspect the fact that Vermonters tend to have more healthy lifestyles (and therefore don't need to go to hospitals as often in the first place) is artificially boosting their numbers.  That's a cultural/geographical thing, not really related to government policy.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 05:59:05 PM »

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

We are the birthplace of lesbianism and the guy who invented the Pap smear.

You should know, you're a professor.

Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2011, 06:01:05 PM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

We are the birthplace of lesbianism and the guy who invented the Pap smear.

You should know, you're a professor.

And despite one of the highest rates of smoking in the world and a large number of overweight people... has one of hte longest life expectancies in the world.  Probably because of all the wine, olive oil, and disgusting ocean creatures you people eat.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2011, 06:02:14 PM »

I'm not sure why that would be high for Vermont, then, since they have crappy schools and you don't exactly want to be in urgent need of open heart surgery over there.  I suspect the fact that Vermonters tend to have more healthy lifestyles (and therefore don't need to go to hospitals as often in the first place) is artificially boosting their numbers.  That's a cultural/geographical thing, not really related to government policy.

As a product of Vermont public schools up through fifth grade (private schools after that), I will grant you that the education system has major, major flaws. You may have a point regarding the lifestyle/cultural component (which I'd regard as a more 'real' measure of an area's wellbeing anyway, with government action or inaction being the artificial component by comparison), but remember that a part of that culture, at least nowadays, entails voting for the sort of people who are liable to enact single-payer health care.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2011, 06:05:54 PM »

And despite one of the highest rates of smoking in the world and a large number of overweight people... has one of hte longest life expectancies in the world.  Probably because of all the wine, olive oil, and disgusting ocean creatures you people eat.

Don't forget our wonderful climate and our laid-back lifestyle. Wink
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2011, 06:06:30 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 06:12:25 PM by negoiate the bondaries »

It all depends on the measure you're using.  If you use GSP per capita... you get some weird figures.  DC, for example, has the highest GSP per capita while Mississippi is in last.  Vermont is 30th.  Vermont is higher than the states Wormy mentioned.

If you use household income... Vermont is higher than North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Kansas; basically all of the states that are truly rural like Vermont.  Other rural states poorer than vermont based on household income include Maine, Montana, West Virginia, and Mississippi... and include states with major metropolitan areas:  North Carolina, Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Louisiana, Texas, Missouri, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Michigan.

So I'd say you were wrong Wormy.  Sorry.  Gross state product is a terrible measure of wealth.  Household income is a better measure despite wide variance in the cost of living.  But even in the region, the average household in Vermont makes more than the average household in New York, Maine, and Pennsylvania... and is only a few spots behind Rhode Island.

So overall, Vermont is one of the richer states in the northeast.

In contrast... New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Maryland, and New Jersey are all wealthier.  But Minnesota, California, Colorado, Washington, and Alaska all round out the top as well... and Minnesota, California, and Alaska are hardly low tax, low service states (despite what Sarah Palin may tell you).

I think in the end it comes down to natural resources, homogeneity, workforce participation, and overall worker productivity... not size of government (though regulations do play a role with the exception of natural resource sectors)... that determines overall wealth.

Lemme give you a third measure, the one I would use.  Disposable personal income - the income that people earn and are then free to spend after purchasing essentials (food, fuel, healthcare, mortgage, and of course the tax man...).  Vermont is once again the second-poorest state in the Northeast (or the third-poorest, if you count Delaware as part of the Northeast).

Source: http://www.bea.gov/scb/pdf/2011/05%20May/D%20pages/0511dpg_i.pdf (page 3)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »

As a product of Vermont public schools up through fifth grade (private schools after that), I will grant you that the education system has major, major flaws. You may have a point regarding the lifestyle/cultural component (which I'd regard as a more 'real' measure of an area's wellbeing anyway, with government action or inaction being the artificial component by comparison), but remember that a part of that culture, at least nowadays, entails voting for the sort of people who are liable to enact single-payer health care.
This is definitely true.  Minnesota is always in the top 5 (if not the 1st or 2nd) when it comes to overall health.  We almost always place in the top in surveys that measure activity and healthy lifestyles.

At the same time, we often have unusually low rates of pre-natal care (despite one of the lowest rates of infant mortality in the nation) and a middling obesity rate (though we are the lowest in the nation for childhood obesity).

Then again... our public schools are quite good and if you need heart surgery... this is where you come.  (literally... royalty from the Middle East come here for heart surgery.. we're that good Tongue).

We almost got single payer healthcare back in 1991... but Republican Arne Carlson vetoed the bill, instead coming up with MinnesotaCare, which is a subsidized insurance program for the working poor.  That reduced our non-insured rate to the lowest in the nation (though MA has since gone lower).  Unfortunately, the very same party that negotiated MinnesotaCare is trying to dismantle it today.  Only Mark Dayton stands in the way of doing that.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2011, 06:13:31 PM »

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

I must admit, I have never seen such a high level of incorrect statements in two sentences before.  Ever.  I'm impressed.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

We are the birthplace of lesbianism

You sir, have won.
Over everybody.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2011, 07:22:34 PM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

We are the birthplace of lesbianism

You sir, have won.
Over everybody.

He certainly wins the award for making an ass of himself.  I've heard of mucking up potentially interesting threads created by others, but to take a big dump on a thread of your own creation--multiple times, and at every possible opportunity--must be worth of some dubious distinction. 
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:33 PM »

Goldmined.

No it isn't.

Hemingway was from Illinois.

You should know that. You're a professor.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2011, 07:41:50 PM »

Angus is always right, though if px wants to px all over his own thread, I can accept that. All I ask is that no one px on my threads.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2011, 07:45:26 PM »

Wait, so all of you are going to jump on Professor for the "Hemmingway was from Illinois, not Mississippi" part, and none of you are going to mention the "Father of Capitalism" bit?  Papa Hemmingway wasn't even particularly capitalist: he was too busy seeing what happens when you mix champagne and absinthe to deal with economic theory.

courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »

Get help.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2011, 08:04:10 PM »

Angus is always right, though if px wants to px all over his own thread, I can accept that. All I ask is that no one px on my threads.

Well, to be fair you have to admit that the opening sentence contained the unrelated terms gay, atheist, and socialist, so it's not entirely clear whether the thread was meant to be taken seriously.  Yet, it was posted in the General Discussion board, so I was giving him the benefit of the doubt.  So much for that benefaction. 

Frankly, it's potentially an interesting topic.  My original questions stands.  Is anyone up on this topic?  If so, let's discuss it.  I can see advantages and disadvantages to the legislation, at least in terms of political consequence. 

As for the normatives, I'll leave that to others.  It seems that there are those who genuinely believe that employing medical service types is a necessary function of the government.  I can't honestly say I'm a member of that cult, but I don't consider that germane to the discussion in the first place, since I think we can objectively discuss the politics of enacting such legislation.  For example, it's a bold move.  One that may improve the economic situation in Vermont.  Or one that may imperil it.  That's my fundamental question.  My gut feeling is that it's a positive for the governor, assuming that this is what the people want.  Most folks in the USA don't really trust the government to deal with such issues.  We already commit about one-sixth of our aggregate GDP to medical services, and yet everyone bitches about their aches and pains.  The right, for all its greediness, is at least honest in saying that it doesn't trust the government in this area.  The left is slave to a political correctness that demands that they give lip service to the new-and-improved terms "Universal Health Care" or "Single Payer."  But the truth is that most of us are more willing to let a single state experiment with this idea, especially since it needn't affect the rest of us.  In this regard the left comes across as more intellectually honest.  Not that they are more intellectually honest, but it fits their brand better. 

I say let the experiment begin.  I'm actually interested in studying its results, objectively.  Some of you young folks may think that four years is like a millenium, but I can assure you that it's not.  It'll pass by quicker than you imagine.  And my gut feeling is that that the Vermonters will make a good go of it.  Whether it's something the rest of the nation will want to consider depends upon many factors, not the least of which are (1) its economic efficacy and (2) its ability to honestly report that it can provide wealthy people with the medical services at a level to which they are accustomed and (3) provide poor people with the medical services that they desire but cannot afford individually.

My guess is that if you satisfy all three of those criteria, then even the most hardened libertarians and freedom-lovers will overcome their ideologies and say that the ends justify the means.  But if within a few years the program does not deliver on those criteria--a distnct possibility--then we will chalk it up to a failed economic experiment that, thankfully, was restricted to one of the least populous parts of the country.  (Yes, "a few years" is all you get, Vermont.  We are the people that put a man on the moon and invented Fast Food.  God help us.  But a few years is really all you need, if you're serious.)

Still, as important consideration, how will it affect funding from the federal government?  After all, band-aids aren't free.  It's not as though Canadians get down on their knees and ask the gods, "hey, while you're turning water into wine, can you give us an MRI as well?"  They tax themselves heavily for them.  Best that we all remember that.  And with federal legislation putting a potentially competing program into nascent development, it begs the question:  how will the recent federal law help or hinder the Vermont program? 

I think a SC ruling against Obamacare actually helps vermont.  Am I wrong? 
Dgov
United States

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

We can give entire states Obamacare waivers now?

Slightly more on topic, odds are this won't really change a thing.  Vermont's healthcare system could range anywhere from fountain of youth to extermination camps, and 90% of people will have already made up their minds on whether or not its a good or bad thing.

Vermont's probably close to the top of most US "health" indexes too, so it will be interesting to see how this holds up 10 years from now.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 08:47:03 PM »

Goldmined.

I love the reasoning here.  Vermont is only allowed to be compared to the rest of the Northeast to show that it is poor while Mississippi is rich because Greece is in the sh**tter.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:13 PM »

Slightly more on topic, odds are this won't really change a thing.  Vermont's healthcare system could range anywhere from fountain of youth to extermination camps, and 90% of people will have already made up their minds on whether or not its a good or bad thing.

Vermont's probably close to the top of most US "health" indexes too, so it will be interesting to see how this holds up 10 years from now.

I disagree.  Well, I agree with your tacit accusation that "health" indices are misleading and agenda-driven.  Indeed they are.  People point to things like longevity, which has less to do with medical service than demographic and cultural norms, or to things like "customer satisfaction," which also have more to do with societal impressions.  As far as I know, there is no objective metric metric for medical service.  Most neutral observers understand this, and anyone who points to irrelevant statistics as anything other than what they are is easily identified as either foolish or malevolent.

But your point about folks not reserving judgment about such radical economic experiments may not be valid.  I'd say that if the result is concentration camps wherein the terminally ill are systematically denied services which extend their lives, no matter how wealthy they are, then the American people, and probably Vermonters as well, will reject the idea.  At the moment, although I have visited Vermont many times, I have only two friends in vermont and no relatives there, so, all things considered, if we're going to conduct such an experiment, better it be there than in Massachusetts, California, Texas, Iowa, or any other place where I actually have relatives and friends.  Vermont is small in area and population.  And exceedingly redneck, and exceedingly white.  Homogenous, insular, and not very representative of the US population as a whole.  It's Denmark, basically.  Farmers and stoners, mostly, and a few cops and public servants.  It's one of the few places where such a plan may work.  But if it does work there--and by "work" I don't mean the sort of concentration camps that you hear about on Sean Hannity's show--then I think you have a chance that the rest of the nation may give it a go.  On the other hand, if it doesn't work there, in that lily-white, rural, goos-hunting, organic tomato-growing country where there are fewer McDonald's than there are in any given square mile of Manhattan, then I doubt you're going to get the rest of the country to take it seriously.

But, if we're going to be honest, then we have to wonder about whether the likely cuts in federal funding to Vermont are enough to discourage them.  My gut feeling is that it will not.  But I admit my ignorance here.  I was hoping that at least one post in this thread might be an intelligent one.  And in four pages, I have not seen one.  All we're doing here is braggin about our own ignorance.  And I include my own posts in that indictment.  Given the potential economic impact of such a radical legislation, I think that's unfortunate.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
« Edited: May 26, 2011, 09:46:38 PM by Speaker Napoleon »

I disagree.  Well, I agree with your tacit accusation that "health" indices are misleading and agenda-driven.  Indeed they are.  People point to things like longevity, which has less to do with medical service than demographic and cultural norms, or to things like "customer satisfaction," which also have more to do with societal impressions.  As far as I know, there is no objective metric metric for medical service.  Most neutral observers understand this, and anyone who points to irrelevant statistics as anything other than what they are is easily identified as either foolish or malevolent.

But your point about folks not reserving judgment about such radical economic experiments may not be valid.  I'd say that if the result is concentration camps wherein the terminally ill are systematically denied services which extend their lives, no matter how wealthy they are, then the American people, and probably Vermonters as well, will reject the idea.  At the moment, although I have visited Vermont many times, I have only two friends in vermont and no relatives there, so, all things considered, if we're going to conduct such an experiment, better it be there than in Massachusetts, California, Texas, Iowa, or any other place where I actually have relatives and friends.  Vermont is small in area and population.  And exceedingly redneck, and exceedingly white.  Homogenous, insular, and not very representative of the US population as a whole.  It's Denmark, basically.  Farmers and stoners, mostly, and a few cops and public servants.  It's one of the few places where such a plan may work.  But if it does work there--and by "work" I don't mean the sort of concentration camps that you hear about on Sean Hannity's show--then I think you have a chance that the rest of the nation may give it a go.  On the other hand, if it doesn't work there, in that lily-white, rural, goos-hunting, organic tomato-growing country where there are fewer McDonald's than there are in any given square mile of Manhattan, then I doubt you're going to get the rest of the country to take it seriously.

But, if we're going to be honest, then we have to wonder about whether the likely cuts in federal funding to Vermont are enough to discourage them.  My gut feeling is that it will not.  But I admit my ignorance here.  I was hoping that at least one post in this thread might be an intelligent one.  And in four pages, I have not seen one.  All we're doing here is braggin about our own ignorance.  And I include my own posts in that indictment.  Given the potential economic impact of such a radical legislation, I think that's unfortunate.

Angus is ALWAYS right. Politics in America is now entertainment. Even this site is a byproduct of that. That's how you get your Trumps and Palins. Its sad but it's the truth in this era. We could do better but we choose not to.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2011, 12:26:19 AM »

He certainly wins the award for making an ass of himself.  I've heard of mucking up potentially interesting threads created by others, but to take a big dump on a thread of your own creation--multiple times, and at every possible opportunity--must be worth of some dubious distinction. 

So when wormy comes here and spouts nonsense about how Vermont is really, REALLY poor and overall a worse place to live than Mississippi, am I supposed to take him seriously and have a respectful, policy-oriented dialog?

And since when is having fun a crime around here? If I want to get depressed I can just watch the news.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies