Vermont makes History
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 12:56:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Vermont makes History
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Vermont makes History  (Read 4721 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2011, 07:34:40 AM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.
Well, it's technically true. -_-
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2011, 09:01:53 AM »

He certainly wins the award for making an ass of himself.  I've heard of mucking up potentially interesting threads created by others, but to take a big dump on a thread of your own creation--multiple times, and at every possible opportunity--must be worth of some dubious distinction. 

So when wormy comes here and spouts nonsense about how Vermont is really, REALLY poor and overall a worse place to live than Mississippi, am I supposed to take him seriously and have a respectful, policy-oriented dialog?

And since when is having fun a crime around here? If I want to get depressed I can just watch the news.

When was the last time you made a respectful, policy-oriented post? (serious question)

And, of course, Greece's laid-back lifestyle may not be a good thing in the long run, since you don't seem to be ready to pay for it. Tongue
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »

And, of course, Greece's laid-back lifestyle may not be a good thing in the long run, since you don't seem to be ready to pay for it. Tongue

I thought that's what Germany's money was being used for? Wink
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2011, 09:20:43 AM »

And since when is having fun a crime around here? If I want to get depressed I can just watch the news.

Okay, maybe I'm suffering sense-of-humor degradation.  That happens sometimes.  But I hadn't actually read this anywhere yet, so to me it was news.  Interesting news.  And it was in a discussion board, so presumably you were looking for some intelligent discussion.  

As for wormy guy's comments, he merely pointed out a fact.  Greece and Mississippi are both poor.  Greece is a money pit for Brussels.  Just as Mississippi is for Washington.  In 2010, the federal government channeled $5,584,088,732, or $1,900.24 per capita, to the state of Mississippi.  They're living on my dollars down there, just as Greeks are living on handouts from Brussels.  I'm not sure Mississippians are worse at driving than Greeks.  Both places have high accident rates.  I'm not sure whether Mississippians are as chaotic as Greeks.  Both are places where people haven't learned to respect the concept of a queue in banks and other waiting places.  But, as poor as Mississippi is, Greece is even more poor.  It's an objective, demonstrable fact that wormy guy pointed out.  You needn't be so defensive about it.  
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »

Okay, maybe I'm suffering sense-of-humor degradation.  That happens sometimes.  But I hadn't actually read this anywhere yet, so to me it was news.  Interesting news.  And it was in a discussion board, so presumably you were looking for some intelligent discussion.  

As for wormy guy's comments, he merely pointed out a fact.  Greece and Mississippi are both poor.  Greece is a money pit for Brussels.  Just as Mississippi is for Washington.  In 2010, the federal government channeled $5,584,088,732, or $1,900.24 per capita, to the state of Mississippi.  They're living on my dollars down there, just as Greeks are living on handouts from Brussels.  I'm not sure Mississippians are worse at driving than Greeks.  Both places have high accident rates.  I'm not sure whether Mississippians are as chaotic as Greeks.  Both are places where people haven't learned to respect the concept of a queue in banks and other waiting places.  But, as poor as Mississippi is, Greece is even more poor.  It's an objective, demonstrable fact that wormy guy pointed out.  You needn't be so defensive about it.  

Well px actually lives in Greece so he's touchy........as well as other unpleasant things.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2011, 09:28:29 AM »

But, as poor as Mississippi is, Greece is even more poor.  It's an objective, demonstrable fact that wormy guy pointed out.  You needn't be so defensive about it.  

If we're going by GDP per capita, it may be an objective fact.....but what about general quality of life? I don't know any numbers by heart....but I don't think GDP per capita is an extremely accurate way of really measuring wealth or poverty.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2011, 09:32:06 AM »

Well px actually lives in Greece so he's touchy........as well as other unpleasant things.

Greeks are notoriously litigious.  We yankees are known for being a litigious society.  Sue happy, so to speak.  But when you break it down by state places like Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama are extremely sue happy.  Places like Iowa are not.  In fact, people in the Midwest who want to sue other Midwesterners often try to get a change of venue to places like Mississippi in order increase their odds of getting a pliable jury.  Greeks are litigious like that as well.  

Harry used to get very defensive anytime anyone brought up economic or social indicators about Mississippi.  He go on about about how the first successful heart transplant was performed in Jackson and how the seminal study on the benefits of peanuts came from Mississippi researchers.  I think the same thing is happening with Greek posters when you talk about Greece is an objective way.  

But wormyguy's point, although true, was irrelevant and led us off on an unnecessary tangent.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

But, as poor as Mississippi is, Greece is even more poor.  It's an objective, demonstrable fact that wormy guy pointed out.  You needn't be so defensive about it.  

If we're going by GDP per capita, it may be an objective fact.....but what about general quality of life? I don't know any numbers by heart....but I don't think GDP per capita is an extremely accurate way of really measuring wealth or poverty.

On the contrary, it correlates pretty well with the hassle factor.  Ever notice how long you have to wait to get a driver's license or a register to vote?  Ever notice how well or how badly people drive?  Or how defensive or litigious the people are?  I've lived in lots of places in the US.  Held driver's license and voted in nine states so far.  And I've traveled to many countries.  And in my observation, the tedium and general level of chaos does correlate pretty well with the local per-capita income.  There are exceptions, of course, but overall I think it's a good thing to check when you're planning your next vacation.  Not that it should ever deter you--I've had great times in some extremely impoverished places--but just so you can know what to expect in terms of public service and the general level of awareness of the population.

But look, man, all of this is so totally irrelevant.  It deserves its own thread if you want to discuss it further.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2011, 09:53:59 AM »

Indeed. When Barbour was preparing to run for President, somebody here in the forum said that he's never going to be elected because he is from Mississippi and for most Americans that state has ugly connotations. I doubt that when they hear about someone being from Greece they have the same reaction.
We aren't racists, we aren't obese, we have produced many more notable scientists and artists and I bet that we have better infrastructure than Mississippi (not to mention our tourist attractions). And there aren't any pockets of overwhelming poverty like the Delta.  
beneficii
Rookie

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2011, 10:51:26 AM »

Mississippi isn't poor by any reasonable or objective definition.  Vermont, however, is in fact the second-poorest state in the Northeast.

Goldmined.

I'm glad you admire my comic skills, and Mississippi is still richer than Greece.

I love the reasoning here.  Vermont is only allowed to be compared to the rest of the Northeast to show that it is poor while Mississippi is rich because Greece is in the sh**tter.

This.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »

You speak as if that's a good thing, and it's not.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »

You speak as if that's a good thing, and it's not.

Not many people in countries with single-payer agree with you.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies