Rick Perry May Run After All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:13:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Perry May Run After All
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Author Topic: Rick Perry May Run After All  (Read 9955 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »

But it wouldn't be today, and they are the only state that legally has the right to leave the Union.

Isn't that just an urban legend?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2011, 10:46:44 AM »

But it wouldn't be today, and they are the only state that legally has the right to leave the Union.

Isn't that just an urban legend?

I believe it's the result of a misunderstanding of the terms of the annexation of Texas. According to the 166 years-old annexation documents, Texas has the right to spin-off up to four additional States from its territory. Normally this would require the approval of Congress as per Article Four of the Constitution, but in this case the new states would be 'pre-approved' by the Congress of 1845.

To the best of my knowledge, using this provision has never been seriously suggested by anyone, but it is interesting to contemplate the effects that the introduction of four new 'Texan' states might have on the Electoral College.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2011, 02:24:13 PM »

El Paso should really have been assigned to New Mexico. There's such a huge gap between El Paso and the nearest small city in Texas (Odessa) that the inclusion of El Paso in Texas had to be driven by political pressures over common sense. Heck, Roswell is closer to El Paso. Such would probably make New Mexico a very solid D state. A state encompassing the border from about Eagle Pass  and Corpus Christi southward would be rather liberal too, as would southern urban Texas (encompassing Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Beaumont). The Texas Panhandle, the Midland-Odessa area, and he western part of Texas (encompassing Abilene, Wichita Falls, Amarillo, and Lubbock as well) would be the most right-wing State in the Union. The rest, east-central, northeast and most of eastern Texas  would have only one liberal area (Dallas) and vote much like Oklahoma. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2011, 02:27:53 PM »

East Texas, like East Oklahoma, is still strong for Democrats at a state level and is willing to vote for at least a moderate Southerner.

A state made of the Panhandle/West Texas would vote >70% Republican at minimum.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2011, 02:36:40 PM »

Nate Silver did a VERY good job explaining how a five-state split of Texas would impact the electoral college. Highly recommended reading.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/messing-with-texas.html

Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: May 31, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2011, 04:53:33 PM by FL ST 800.02 »

Defending someone being called out for  alleged anti-American rhethoric by defending said alleged anti-American rhethoric?

Wow. Seriously? This is like telling the Sheriff that has come to question your role in someone getting stabbed in a bar fight and telling them, "fu k you, Stupid fag. I'll kill you if you keep asking me stupid effin questions" Tongue
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 06:24:27 PM »

http://www.politico.com/playbook/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
porker
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: -2.26, S: -7.22

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 07:09:46 PM »

If he waits until Palin announces she's not running (which could be a long time depending on how much media attention she wants) he could lose valuable campaigning time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 10:01:01 PM »

I don't think he has much of a shot, for one reason he is the successor to the previous Texas governor to become POTUS.  Gov./Pres. George W. Bush, IMO, tainted the Texas governor platform and Perry hasn't done anything to make amends for his predecessor's "wrongdoings".
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 10:11:44 PM »

If he waits until Palin announces she's not running (which could be a long time depending on how much media attention she wants) he could lose valuable campaigning time.

True but if she does run, he could lose valuable time from his life campaigning.  He could win with her running, but much easier without.  She'd probably endorse him for one thing.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »

True but if she does run, he could lose valuable time from his life campaigning.  He could win with her running, but much easier without.  She'd probably endorse him for one thing.

Perhaps he should just start an exploratory committee and, rather than actually campaign, just spend a few weeks raising some obscene amount of money (like $50 million.....as sitting governor of Texas, the sky's the limit).  That'll hopefully scare off enough potential rivals that he'll have an easier time winning, and won't have to do as much real campaigning.  Wink
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 10:45:50 PM »

Perhaps he should just start an exploratory committee and, rather than actually campaign, just spend a few weeks raising some obscene amount of money (like $50 million.....as sitting governor of Texas, the sky's the limit).  That'll hopefully scare off enough potential rivals that he'll have an easier time winning, and won't have to do as much real campaigning.  Wink

With a EC, he could also participate in the debates as well...
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 10:48:00 PM »

I imagine the Bush people will go out of their way to destroy him if he tries to run.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:39 PM »

Not just governor of Texas but he's head of Republican Governors Association.  Actually sounds like Huntsman has impressive fundraisers but I'd wonder if his poll weakness would make donors shy.

An alternative for Perry to scaring people off, he could just stay out until Cain, Bachmann, Palin all implode.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 11:02:48 PM »

Not just governor of Texas but he's head of Republican Governors Association.  Actually sounds like Huntsman has impressive fundraisers but I'd wonder if his poll weakness would make donors shy.

An alternative for Perry to scaring people off, he could just stay out until Cain, Bachmann, Palin all implode.

I dont think Cain will implode.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:06 PM »

I dont think Cain will implode.

My bet is he will.  It seems fairly easy to when you have the electoral inexperience Cain has.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »

The Perry speculation builds, now that a couple of his key advisors, who had been working for Gingrich, but have now resigned, are free to work on Perry 2012, should he run:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504564_162-20070377-504564.html

"Perry to run for president in 2012" has shot up to 50.0 on Intrade, while Perry to win the GOP nomination is up to 10.5 and 4th place.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »

I doubt he'll run.  If he did, I'd probably back him.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »

I doubt he'll run.  If he did, I'd probably back him.

Because he is so moderate, huh?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 05:16:11 PM »

Huh?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »

In what world is Inks known for being a moderate?

Anyway, Perry might serve a great purpose: being the anti Romney. I know it's early but the current crop might not be strong enough to stop him. If Perry is the guy to stop him, so be it. I'm not some huge Perry fan but I've never had a problem with him. Looks like I could be going with the two Ricks (and Pawlenty) for my top 2012 picks.
exopolitician
MATCHU[D]
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.03, S: -6.26

« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2011, 10:50:46 PM »

Anyway, Perry might serve a great purpose: being the anti Romney. I know it's early but the current crop might not be strong enough to stop him. If Perry is the guy to stop him, so be it. I'm not some huge Perry fan but I've never had a problem with him. Looks like I could be going with the two Ricks (and Pawlenty) for my top 2012 picks.

Perry's only purpose in life is being a bigger pompous windbag than Romney and Palin combined. 
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 12:34:23 AM »

Compared to a guy that advocated secession even you're moderate Phil. Wink
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 01:15:49 PM »

If he runs, it would be very disenguous. He told the people of Texas that he would serve out his full third term if he were reelected.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2011, 01:26:17 PM »

So, in the unlikely event that he were elected President and the Lt. Governor were elected to the Senate, who would take over as Governor of Texas?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies