Rick Perry May Run After All
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:05:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Rick Perry May Run After All
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Rick Perry May Run After All  (Read 9848 times)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2011, 06:48:45 PM »

We never saw the map, as I recall, but they did mention in passing how only a handful of states voted.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2011, 06:50:24 PM »

Long story short, Perry would probably make an ass out of himself and lose in fantastic fashion. I mean, just listen to him speak for more than two minutes and you'll know what I mean.

Indeed. If he entered the race, his numbers would go the route of Fred Thompson
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2011, 08:43:14 PM »

He won't go anywhere.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2011, 09:06:23 PM »

I'd be fine with him getting the nomination. I have a family connection to him, so it'd be cool to say I semi-know the President. Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2011, 09:11:01 PM »

for those who don't remember that TV election or not familiar with the show, here are the results:

That doesn't look like I remember it. Didn't Bartlet also lose Nebraska and Louisiana?

He mentioned to the First Lady that he won Louisiana so that part is definitely accurate.

I'm pretty sure they give an overall EV total at one point that allows you to figure out the accurate map with the clues about specific states they also give during the show.
Poundingtherock
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

Rick Perry is a good governor (but then again, the governor position in Texas is one of the least powerful governor positions in the country) but he'd be complete waste of space in a presidential primary contest.

The comparison to Thompson is unfair...unfair to Thompson.  Fred actually led some national polls when he came out or was at least in the top tier with Rudy before his eventual collapse.

Perry wouldn't even get to Fred's level.  In fact, I doubt he'd even get to Herman Cain's level, even though the eventual Cain meltdown will soon come (soon to be followed or preceded by the Bachmann meltdown).
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2011, 11:51:26 PM »

This indication by Perry is only further proof of the weak field not that he's going to run.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2011, 05:51:26 AM »

I believe Perry already broke a record for most executions under one Governor.

Which has something to do with him breaking another record among Texas governors: length of service.

Naturally. Dubya was well over 100 in six years, because executions, especially in Texas, were more frequent in 1990s than 2000s and 2010s.

We never saw the map, as I recall, but they did mention in passing how only a handful of states voted.

And total number of electoral votes, if I recall correctly.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »

A Perry/Scott ticket would be telling it as it is for the whole Republican Party. A buncha criminals and terrorists, basically.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2011, 10:05:10 AM »

A Perry/Scott ticket would be telling it as it is for the whole Republican Party. A buncha criminals and terrorists, basically.
How is Perry a terrorist? Because he said he liked Texan independence? Those crybaby Tibetans are terrorist too, then.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2011, 10:29:36 AM »

How is Perry a terrorist? Because he said he liked Texan independence? Those crybaby Tibetans are terrorist too, then.

So Texas is the equivalent of Tibet: an independent state, forcibly annexed by a communist dictatorship.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2011, 12:17:39 PM »

I could never vote for a man who suggested that the state he governs should secede from the Union.
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2011, 01:42:47 PM »

Rick Perry is quite a tempting candidate for Republicans to nominate, but I'm just concerned that the Democrats would launch a smear campaign reminding voters of how bad the last two presidents from Texas were (although they weren't actual native born Texans but from Connecticut Wink ).

Because stereotyping a state will definitely make independents vote democrat. That is the dumbest comment I have ever read on here.

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2011, 01:51:22 PM »

Rick Perry is quite a tempting candidate for Republicans to nominate, but I'm just concerned that the Democrats would launch a smear campaign reminding voters of how bad the last two presidents from Texas were (although they weren't actual native born Texans but from Connecticut Wink ).

Because stereotyping a state will definitely make independents vote democrat. That is the dumbest comment I have ever read on here.

Kind of like in 2004 when Bush insisted on referring to his opponent as 'the senator from Massachusetts', you mean?
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2011, 01:57:25 PM »

Kind of like in 2004 when Bush insisted on referring to his opponent as 'the senator from Massachusetts', you mean?

Yes.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2011, 01:59:50 PM »

I think the right term is "Massachusetts Democrat" or "Massachusetts liberal".
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »

So Texas is the equivalent of Tibet: an independent state, forcibly annexed by a communist dictatorship.

Those damn communists John Tyler and James Knox Polk!

But at least Texans bravely resisted annexed by the Union of Soviet American Republics!
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2011, 03:51:58 PM »

To be fair to Sanchez though, Texas was an independent state at one point, and when it tried to be independent again, it was forcibly taken back. I suggest brushing up on US history next time you decide to go into Hackmode and go after one poster, when the person he was replying too made a much worse comparison, calling Perry and Scott terrorists.
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2011, 05:18:55 PM »

To be fair to Sanchez though, Texas was an independent state at one point, and when it tried to be independent again, it was forcibly taken back. I suggest brushing up on US history next time you decide to go into Hackmode and go after one poster, when the person he was replying too made a much worse comparison, calling Perry and Scott terrorists.

I seriously think we need like a board devoted to United States History, because, myself included, many here don't know as much as they think they do.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2011, 05:22:31 PM »

I seriously think we need like a board devoted to United States History, because, myself included, many here don't know as much as they think they do.

I agree.  If only there was a board around here for such a purpose.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »

WTF? Have I stumbled accidentally into a Confederate Pride forum?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2011, 05:54:52 PM »

You dont even want to know my views on Neo-Confederacy......
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2011, 08:07:11 PM »

To be fair to Sanchez though, Texas was an independent state at one point, and when it tried to be independent again, it was forcibly taken back.

1.  The Republic of Texas voted overwhelmingly to join the United States because it was bordering on failed-state status.  Texas' experiment with independence was a disaster.
2.  It did not "try to be independent" again, it tried to leave the USA to join a rival multi-state nation, the CSA (which was itself an illegal enterprise).  Texan independence was not the objective of the 1861 secession (which was passed over the veto of Governor Houston, a staunch Unionist).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2011, 08:54:22 PM »

To be fair to Sanchez though, Texas was an independent state at one point, and when it tried to be independent again, it was forcibly taken back.

1.  The Republic of Texas voted overwhelmingly to join the United States because it was bordering on failed-state status.  Texas' experiment with independence was a disaster.
2.  It did not "try to be independent" again, it tried to leave the USA to join a rival multi-state nation, the CSA (which was itself an illegal enterprise).  Texan independence was not the objective of the 1861 secession (which was passed over the veto of Governor Houston, a staunch Unionist).
1. Texas was a near failed state, that is true. But it wouldn't be today, and they are the only state that legally has the right to leave the Union. All states should have that right, and I wouldn't oppose, persay, Hawaii leaving.

2. Texas, and the Confederate States declared themselves independent, voiding all US law on them. Do you really think they cared if they were "illegally" seceding? The CSA was a independent nation from 1861-1865, lost fair and square, and like numerous other nations, was annexed. I consider myself a Neo-Confederate, (who, perhaps hypocritically) opposes slavery. And I hate the crybaby's who whine about losing. "We" lost, quite frankly. Lets move on with our lives, unless "we" have to leave again.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »

Yes, I am not disputing any of that, my dorm is next door to the Sam Houston Museum I know how unionist he was but doesn't change the fact Texas tried to get out of the US. Sure I should have inserted a " from the United States" in there but the point is Sanchez's comparison wasn't as bad as px75 made it out to be.

where in that post at all did I display support for the CSA? Roll Eyes

But we are getting off topic, back to discussing the fail that is Rick Perry
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies