Revival Proposal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Revival Proposal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Revival Proposal  (Read 37471 times)
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« on: May 28, 2011, 05:16:12 PM »

Anyone willing to revive this... We'll just do it under the old Antilla name. For now, only established parties, no new creations until it can be feasable. Three main parties:

Social Democratic Party (SDP) - Traditional social democrats who advocate third way positions between right and hard left wings. Favor a "welfare state" but also keeping the capitalist mode of economy with partial intervention. Thought of as the centrist party that promotes "big tent" center-leftism.

Popular Movement Party (PMP) - The right leaning conservative party in Antilla. They favor major social intervention to protect traditional values that they hold dear and only minor government interference in the economy. Divided between hawks and doves in military spending policy.

Antillan Labor Party (ALP) - The far left party. Generally communistic and communitarian, they have poor relations with both other parties and tend to be lone wolves. Social issues are less important to them than maintaining a solid economic platform.

Say 500 parliamentary seats. We simulate whatever ones aren't occupied by players.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 07:52:24 PM »

I'd be willing to play, but not with this party system. You've essentially created a center-right party that would alienate most of it's potential supporters on here as well as give the country two left wing parties against one right wing party Smiley

I did that only based on what used to be the Atlas memberships. This place is generally center-left, but hey, I mean I'm good with whatever you guys want to do.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:14:11 PM »

Sounds fair. I'm not any good at making maps or anything like that, but if anyone wants to draw up a map, we can sketch a rough history of the country.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 10:29:54 PM »

Just as long as I get to be the figurehead king and get to give my "royal" assent to every passed act.

Smiley

Only if the western half of the state may dominate the game as Prime Minister Wink
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 02:00:44 AM »

I won't participate in any re-start which has parties imposed.

Ok, well at least can ya help with map making or something along those lines?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 04:37:01 PM »

That works... Instead of talking, let's do this now... I'm going to open the bio and sign in thread. Wish it all luck.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 04:53:28 PM »

That works... Instead of talking, let's do this now... I'm going to open the bio and sign in thread. Wish it all luck.

What parties are we using?

I just used a generic Social Democratic name, but that can be changed later. I also used the old name as well, but if we want, that can be edited.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 11:17:29 PM »

SPEAKER

Order!

Since there are MPs sitting currently, the floor is open. Motions to recognize?

I really wouldn't know where to start. What kind of issues does Antilla face at the moment?

Well, a maritime nation, so obviously trade, defense, etc. issus... Say unemployment is 6% and the economy is stagnant, experiencing no growth with whatever the previous government was.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »

I'd be all for joining up if it could get organized. I'm not confidant it can be done after the last time it was tried, but I'll help however possible.

I'd suggest carrying over whatever had been accomplished to the new game.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

What we could really use is an "event mod," someone to give us issues and stuff to react to. I'm not really good at that sort of thing.

I'd be willing to do that if you guys would all rather be MPs.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 01:02:11 AM »

Sure, I'm willing.

Of course we could cycle the job every once in awhile.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:25 AM »

It's just never been able to get off the ground.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 03:43:50 PM »

I would be too, but I'm not going to organize it because I failed at it last time.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2013, 10:55:39 PM »

I wasn't around for the previous attempts to start this game up, but it seems like a really novel idea; one which people took care to think out beforehand. If there is enough interest, I'd love to help get this thing running again.
I propose that the next mock Parliament be set in an alternate USA with a Westminister system, if this gets off the ground.

I'd be open to that.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 09:35:50 PM »

Works fine by me. It's a small enough island that we could get enough players to stick with it.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 02:51:34 AM »

I wasn't around for the earlier attempts at revival, but it sounds as though creating a fictional country from scratch is a little difficult. I'm obviously a bit biased, but I think a mock Australian Parliament could work well, potentially responding to real-time, real world events impacting Australia. The country's political landscape is pretty simple and for easier management we could hold elections with PR rather than a Westminster System. How many people would be interested in an Australian reboot?

Probably won't be elections. There never were in Mock Parliament, it was more a government simulation than an electoral one. We also never really had enough people to do elections anyway and when someone is out, what could they do in Parliament?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 02:14:22 PM »

I'd rather we formed our own parties rather than something so grounded in real life. I have no problem with being realistic, but I think it being so realistic will put people off who can't see themselves in the Labor or Liberal Parties of Australia.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 08:17:07 PM »

See, I don't like the idea of an RPG knocking a player's character out after they'd already established one and then forcing them to wait around to make a comeback. If I created a character, putting time and effort into that character, I wouldn't want to lose that character on someone else's whim....

I'd rather have NPC elections and then we can simulate as a government or opposition party until the next elections and let individual players decide (privately consulting with the Speaker\GM) if they want to lose and start over... I don't want it to end up like Atlasia where you're just sitting around doing nothing if you're not in office or anything...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 09:11:21 PM »

See, I think that would be a fair compromise. Everyone gets a seat, we have a campaign and then an election where we find out who is the government and who is opposition, keeping the changes between NPCs (unless a player wishes)...

I'd also support a two or three party system at least to start before we pick up more players. Obviously if a player defies a whip in the Westminster system, they are punished for it and I think this should also be the case here.

If everyone is set on Australia, I won't object to that.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 02:45:02 PM »

But it also ensures the moderates basically govern.

If not two parties, then 5, two with about 30-35% support, 3 with between 10-15% support.

Labor, Liberals, Nationals, Greens, Moderates.

I still prefer two parties for the opening stages.

I'd be happy with that, though I'd say (if interest is high enough) start with all 5 parties.

Moderate is a terrible name for a party though. Why not just use the generic Democrats term like the old Aussie Democrats?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »

Seems fair. Though are we playing Australia or an Australia clone? We could have a fantasy southern hemisphere island or something that's basically Australia in everything but name.

Whatever anyone wants. Personally, maybe we should play as an Australia clone so we don't get too hemmed into particular aspects of Aussie politics...
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2013, 01:52:39 PM »

I think first we should open up a register thread where we claim our parties and constituencies and character names. Then we have party leadership elections before we can actually start a parliament.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2013, 01:01:59 AM »

Yes, do so.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix