Revival Proposal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:31:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Revival Proposal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Revival Proposal  (Read 37479 times)
Vazdul (Formerly Chairman of the Communist Party of Ontario)
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 28, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »

Reviving it for real this time? I don't like to be teased.

I'm willing to play, but I'd like to know a little bit about the country.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 08:38:52 PM »

I'd be willing to play, but not with this party system. You've essentially created a center-right party that would alienate most of it's potential supporters on here as well as give the country two left wing parties against one right wing party Smiley

I did that only based on what used to be the Atlas memberships. This place is generally center-left, but hey, I mean I'm good with whatever you guys want to do.

I'm willing to roleplay as any ideology, so I'm comfortable joining whichever party is shorthanded, regardless of what kind of party system we use. Still, I think it would be cool if players could create their own parties, and then narrow those parties down to at most five. This will allow players some freedom as to how the parties develop, while still maintaining a bit of realism in that not everyone will be a perfect ideological fit for their party.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 12:35:15 PM »

Here we go. This is based on the real, uninhabited island of St Kilda (but alot bigger) The province/state boundaries are in red, capital cities in pink. The national capital is the biggest city. The island to the north west is a potentially cecessionist island. That's for me and Hash Cheesy

Looks good. Can we have labels?
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 01:39:00 PM »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd be keen on having the island settled by the British...but who knows.

I meant labels on the map. Names of provinces, cities, etc.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »

Works for me. Let's see what the others think.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 12:37:45 PM »

BUMP! Let's not just talk about getting this started, let's actually do it this time!

So, could someone give me a general overview of what this whole thing is about? If so, I'd be interested in participating.

You basically roleplay as a member of Parliament in a fictional country. While all of the details haven't actually been ironed out, we do actually have a map and a little bit of the country's history this time, which is a step further than we've gotten in previous incarnatons.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:43:08 PM »

Has there been any decision on the type of electoral system we'll be using? If not, I'd quite like to use the Italian model. Wink

I think we should keep things simple. I suggest a simple form of proportional represenation. I found a website online that will quickly apportion seats using the d'Hondt method. It even allows for setting a threshold that is required for a party to gain seats.

http://icon.cat/util/elections
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »

Bump...
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »

SPEAKER

Order!

Since there are MPs sitting currently, the floor is open. Motions to recognize?

I really wouldn't know where to start. What kind of issues does Antilla face at the moment?
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 06:12:38 PM »

The most fun would be a constitutional convention/constituent assembly.

I'll roll with this.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »

I'd actually really like to have a monarchy. Ceremonial, of course. Wink

Ceremonial monarchy seems proper.

So, bullmoose, if you don't mind having absolutely no power whatsoever, I see no reason why you can't be king.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 03:40:15 PM »

Marksland (979,331)
Lindsay (600,348)
Pifarris (314,677)
Peterford (89,471)
Fiskby (23,317)

Bronseland (664,753)Sad One of the first regions of Antilla to be settled, first by Norse Vikings who were primarily escaping the strong-man rule of Harald; Due to its more favorable climate and location than Iceland, within the North Sea, Bronseland grew rapidly. The Danish Vikings in what would become Marksland, traded and worked collectively with the Norse rather than war to the benefit of both settlements. Bronseland along with Fiskby and Marksland, were the first regions to unify under the flag of Antilla after seeking greater independence from the Denmark-Norway in 1699. English crown was extended over the entire island after concessions were given to the Antillans in the form of an Island Assembly of Nobles from all regions, and the protection of the Nordansk language (which is still spoken by about 15% of the population. After the 1800 Acts of Union which created the UK, Antilla declined to unite and in 1802 the Union of Antilla was born. Bronseland has long been a region of strength for the left, recently the Cooperative Party has rivaled the SDP for superiority, both receiving over 30% last election; pockets of strength for the Liberals remain in the suburbs of major cities, and the far west wealthier valley border areas with Fiskby and Marksland.

Kristiana (312,864) – Grew into the Cultural and Educational centre of Antilla, home to Cultural institutes: the National Theatre Company of Antilla, Hage Museum of History and the Nissen MacAdams National Art Gallery. Three University’s: Settlers University, Kings University, University of Bronseland. Kristiana is home to the largest Dutch, Slavic, Jewish and immigrants from Indochina. A longheld stronghold of the left, the city has been governed almost continuously by the Social Democrats from the 1900’s till 2002, with only one break from 1929-1937 where the Workers Party/Agrarian Party governed under the first Marxist government. In 2002 the Greens won then were reelected under the rebranding as the Cooperative party 3yrs ago.

I think that there should be more parity between the provinces, population-wise. Fiskby in particular is underpopulated, although with 150 members, it is still populous enough that it deserves one seat. However, I think it should have a higher population, simply from a game mechanics perspective, in case more people join the game and want to be from Fiskby.

With a total population of roughly 2.7 million, the cube root rule would have the size of the Parliament at about 140 seats. I think 150 is a good number.

Using the current population figures for each province and a  150-seat Parliament would give the following apportionments, depending on the method used.

D'Hondt or Jefferson: Marksland 55, Bronseland 38, Lindsay 34, Pitfarris 17, Peterford 5, Fiskby 1
Hamilton, Webster, or Huntington-Hill: Marksland 55, Bronseland 37, Lindsay 34, Pitfarris 18, Peterford 5, Fiskby 1
Adams: Marksland 54, Bronsland 37, Lindsay 34, Pitfarris 18, Peterford 5, Fiskby 2
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »

I'm not arguing for uniformity. I just think it would be a good idea for the smallest region to be populous enough to have several MPs, so that multiple players can represent that region if they so choose. That region could still be dominated by rural interests, it would just be a bit more populated.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2011, 01:17:57 PM »

If I may butt in without being too late to the party, I think it would be interesting if one party (the Liberals would work best, methinks) were very strong on the outlying island but a clear third on Antillia proper. Presumably in this case it would have a certain nationalist element, which I think would make for an interesting dynamic.

Pitfarris already has a separate nationalist party.

I'm not arguing for uniformity. I just think it would be a good idea for the smallest region to be populous enough to have several MPs, so that multiple players can represent that region if they so choose. That region could still be dominated by rural interests, it would just be a bit more populated.

I meant uniformity within regions - obviously no one is calling for the regions to be equal in population terms!

My point is that if these are ancient divisions of some kind (with the exceptions of the carve-outs for the cities), then there can be significant variation within them. There's also no need for the regions to = the pr constituency boundaries.

I agree.

I think at this point, one person or a group of people should 'adopt a region' (preferrably one they are in) and set about creating it's character; it's economy, the sort of people who live there and issues they face. Basically build up each region in order to create a national varied picture.

My home region of Bronseland has already been done, but I'm willing to take on another region if that's okay. I'll do Fiskby, since no one is from there yet.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2011, 04:36:40 PM »
« Edited: June 20, 2011, 04:40:02 PM by Johannes Overgaard, Antillan MP (SDP-Bronseland) »

I don't know about you guys, but I'm feeling rather intimidated by the prettiness of the maps generated so far, and thus feel like any contribution on my part would be inferior to what has already been presented Tongue

Ilikeverin... i wouldn't worry about it at all! i thought the same thing too and i'm pretty happy how mine turned out and i had a blast making them... go crazy! i'm sure your maps will be great. What region are you working on?

None of them; I am too intimidated Wink

I know just how you feel. And I offered to do Fiskby!
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »

I'd certainly be interested in a revival of this.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2012, 06:39:38 PM »

What we could really use is an "event mod," someone to give us issues and stuff to react to. I'm not really good at that sort of thing.
Vazdul
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2012, 12:36:34 AM »

What we could really use is an "event mod," someone to give us issues and stuff to react to. I'm not really good at that sort of thing.

I'd be willing to do that if you guys would all rather be MPs.

That works for me, as long as you're willing.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies