Revival Proposal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:03:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Revival Proposal (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Revival Proposal  (Read 37476 times)
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« on: June 28, 2013, 10:42:26 PM »

I wasn't around for the previous attempts to start this game up, but it seems like a really novel idea; one which people took care to think out beforehand. If there is enough interest, I'd love to help get this thing running again.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:19:10 AM »

Or...we could do a simulation of the Her Royal Majesty's Parliament of the Confederate States of America in the present-day operating under the assumption that the CSA becomes a British dominion shortly after achieving its independence in the American Civil war.  Just an idea...  Tongue

This isn't a bad idea either. I am open to any sort of setting, whether it's the U.S.A., hypothetical Confederate States, or the entirely fictional island (Antillia). What we need is something that would be both engaging and bring in enough active players to keep it going.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 10:03:03 PM »

I'd prefer Australia, as it's a smaller system than the UK, and easier to understand, although either would be fine. We just need something with a preexisting framework that won't be too difficult to follow through with.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 09:59:57 AM »

We could take Afleitch's idea of having a multi-party system into account by further differentiating the current parties of Australia (right now, as he pointed out, it's a boring two party system in which both options are not too dissimilar from each other).

Here's my proposal-
Major Parties
Australian Labor Party- Social Democracy
Liberal Party of Australia- Classical Liberalism
National Party of Australia- Conservatism
Minor Party
Australian Greens- Environmentalism
Any others

The permanent Coalition wouldn't need to exist here, as the Liberals and Nationals would be very different organizations under the system.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:55:40 PM »

So how do we get this started then? Is there anyone willing to play Speaker (Game Moderator?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:30 AM »

I think that's the best idea, Swedish Cheese, since there's no need for separate National, Liberal, LNP, and Country Liberal parties this early in the game.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 11:12:57 AM »

I think Swedish Cheese already called the Division of Solomon before you posted, so maybe that could be moved back into the Right column and replaced in the swing seats by Forde/Longman/La Trobe?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »
« Edited: July 13, 2013, 07:56:08 PM by SoEA Talleyrand »

His write-up for Solomon is impossible though Tongue

Do Australian MPs always live in the Division they represent (as in USA) or can they be selected for some completley different place and just get a "home" in that Division (as in the UK) cause if it's the later my character can just represent any rural seat, otherwise I'll just change my bio so that my character moved somewhere in QLD.  

It's a little bit of both, although it probably leans more to the USA side of things, as most MPs have some sort of personal connection to the Division they represent or at least the area around it. Candidates can be parachuted into other Divisions, but usually these are near to a place they may have resided in in the past (an example would be Campbell Newman, the Premier of Queensland, who ran for the seat of Ashgrove despite actually living in nearby Brisbane Central). Most MPs have a home in their constituency or a neighboring constituency.

I think it would definitely make sense if your character moved to somewhere like rural QLD, WA, or SA after graduating from University. Maranoa (QLD), O'Connor/Durack (WA), and Grey (SA) seem like seats which would fit well.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 09:42:10 PM »

Would the Speaker be the presiding officer of the House of Representatives or more of a GM figure? If the latter, it might be slightly unfair to have the winning party elect the position (for obvious reasons).

How would the election work? Are you flipping a coin and awarding all seats to the winning party or might we have an interesting, slightly drawn out election night with various swings and such? Wink
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 12:11:14 PM »

So we're starting the campaign later today?
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 04:14:30 PM »

I echo this... we either start within the next couple of days, or abandon it.

That would be preferable, although I'm willing to wait until after the RL election in Australia wraps up in a couple of weeks if Hughento will be too busy until then (he mentioned he's out of Victoria until the 8th or so in another thread).
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:08 PM »

I think it can probably be rebooted now the RL election is done, although it's up to Hugh (or someone else if he doesn't want to moderate it) to decide when to begin, I suppose.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies