Revival Proposal (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:52:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Revival Proposal (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Revival Proposal  (Read 37487 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« on: June 15, 2011, 09:27:36 PM »

Nice to see this starting up - maybe - again. I know just what sort of character is needed as well...

Wrt to the other thing; no progress likely in the near future (lack of time), but vague ambitions of making it work again. Because for the brief time that it did it was quite good. Enough of that for now though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:51 AM »

How would that name be pronounced though?

As for background, I think we might be about to run into the problem of differing versions of our artificial reality crashing into each other.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 12:20:43 PM »

I was mostly thinking in terms of the population figures.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »

Presumably with a GM and some dice?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 12:56:44 PM »

Oh, sure. Absolutely. You would have other stuff as well, to make sure that there was consistency and all that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »

There's really no reason for the regions to be uniform, particularly if we regard them as being ancient divisions.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2011, 06:11:34 AM »

Oh, now some of those ideas are good.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2011, 06:13:28 AM »

I'm not arguing for uniformity. I just think it would be a good idea for the smallest region to be populous enough to have several MPs, so that multiple players can represent that region if they so choose. That region could still be dominated by rural interests, it would just be a bit more populated.

I meant uniformity within regions - obviously no one is calling for the regions to be equal in population terms!

My point is that if these are ancient divisions of some kind (with the exceptions of the carve-outs for the cities), then there can be significant variation within them. There's also no need for the regions to = the pr constituency boundaries.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 08:53:55 PM »

We need to look at population figures again; the first attempt makes no sense given the map that we have.

Marksland - is on the south of the mainland and contains the largest city by far. But it's not going to dominate. Let's say a population of around 700,000. Of which c. 500,000 is in the Greater St Mark's Area and c. 350,000 within St Mark's city. Which makes it about the same size as Cardiff or Edinburgh, according to measurement chosen.

Pitfarris - it's clear that the Pitfarris Question is a big one in terms of the politics of our new nation. Which means that a significant percentage of the population have to live here. Let's say around 450,000, making it the second largest region. Of these around 200,000 are in Auldburgh, making it about the same size as Aberdeen.

Bronseland - not sure about this one, but the main city is very close to St Mark's, which would be good for growth. So around 400,000, with about 300,000 in the Greater Kristiana area and about 250,000 in the city itself.

Peterford - is an obvious location for a rather grim industrial region with a falling population. Lets say around 350,000 with about 150,000 of these in Fellsands (so roughly the same population as Swansea) and the rest in smaller towns.

Lindsay - is an obvious location for our little island's agricultural centre. Again, around 350,000 with about 100,000 of these in Lindsay-on-Sea.

Fiskby - the location of Breheim looks industrial, so lets run with that. Similar to Peterford, but a lot smaller. Let's say just 150,000 and only about 30,000 of these in Breheim.

This gives us a population of about 2.4 million, of which about 18% would like on an island that has issues with its union and which would almost certainly be significantly over-represented in the Parliament as a result of historic deals.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Control freak and all that. One that can't add up either, probably. But these are only vague proposals.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 09:54:35 AM »

The issue of the governance of Pitfarris has been mentioned elsewhere; I'm fairly sure that Andrew intended the politics of Pitfarris to be (to an extent) a satire of the politics of contemporary Scotland, so an Assembly of some kind is as a given. Anyway, a proposal for the government structure, more generally:

Island of Pitfarris

1. Island Assembly (ideally a better name that someone else can come up with).

2. The four Counties and the City of Auldburgh.

3. Either very weak municipalities of some kind, or some variant on that weird divisional system Scottish local government used to have.

Island of Antillia

1. The five Regions and the five Cities.

2. Districts (in rural areas) and Municipalities (for the towns). Districts would have very little power, municipalities a little bit more.

3. Some form of parish/commune setup.

---

All six cities are part of their respective regions for ceremonial and statistical purposes, but for nothing else. They are administratively separate. Pitfarris has its own devolved body because of its separation (culturally, historically and physically) from the mainland. Local power on the island of Antillia would rest at City/Regional level, local power on the island of Pitfarris with its Assembly. This entrenches a sense of divergent political cultures.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »

I can play with those numbers, im writing up a bio and it only means a few small updates mostly to population figures

What sort of things do you have in mind for the economic base (current and former, if necessary) and settlement structure of Bronseland?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 05:56:31 PM »

Kristiana - second largest city, royal city, cultural city (3 universities, museums, etc), trying to make it more an opposite of St. Marks which would be the economic and legislative centre of the country. Arts would be huge so i think TV production (home of the state owned network RTA), animation, IT would be new industries
thoughts?

Yeah, I think that works, especially if its supposed to be the place where a New Left party is strongest. Without wanting to change the overall picture, a couple of suggested details; you could make it the former capital (with the switch to St Marks happening because... er... Colonial associations with Kristiana? That kind of thing), say. It's also an obvious location for a resort and there would have been some kind of port there at some point, even if its no longer working.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 06:53:26 PM »

These are traditional divisions and have no relationship whatsover with current population patterns. They will, though, be used as the basis for local government areas within the region. The names are all Marches dialect words, fwiw.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 06:59:46 PM »

The main one is Bell MT. The little bit in the bottom right corner is Cantzley AD1600.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 02:38:20 PM »

Where are you trying to upload it to?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2011, 07:32:50 PM »

How can I be part of this without being an MP? News Paper? Other function? If we're doing some sort of PR I have a great D'Hondt calculater in Excell, I'd be happy to help with that in some way. Grin

The man behind the man?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2011, 07:37:43 PM »

Local government areas in Peterford:

Based on the structure of local government in England and Wales before 1974, as hinted at already. Most of the RDs have hardly any inhabitants; the principle exception would be those bordering Fellsands. Dark green areas are detached parts of other RDs.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2011, 08:13:08 PM »

You mean Permanent Secretary of the Prime Minister's Office? Tongue

Possibly. That kind of thing though.

If someone would like to help me figure out Marksland, it'd be much appreciated.

What kind of things would you like... er... figuring out?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2011, 08:22:11 PM »

St Marks is almost certainly our main port. With all that that entails.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 09:57:33 AM »

Yeah, I love the topographic map. More or less what I would have done as well.

Question about the political map: which parts of Vanaheimr are mining/ex-mining? (I'm presuming metal mining from the description, fwiw). Because if the (presumably sparsely population) western area is, then some justification for the strength of a e new left party with green associations would have to be thought up. Possibly you could make it old Communist territory and make it so that the remains of the old Communist Party (because there would have been one) folded into one of the predecessor parties of the Cooperative Party at some point. Though if that area is just remote and a little odd (perhaps still majority non-English speaking?) then there'd be no need for something as complicated.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »

If someone would like to help me figure out Marksland, it'd be much appreciated.

What kind of things would you like... er... figuring out?

Oh, all sorts of things. History, perhaps, or demographics, or the like. Perhaps some of those pretty maps you've made, too. Tommy's had a nice start.

Yeah, I can do that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »

As you can see, a large majority of the population live in the Middling hundred. Which has been spelt incorrectly on the map, but, hey. No. It has two spellings. There. I said so, so it is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2011, 11:08:22 AM »

Decided to take the idea of anglicised Norse words literally. So Wapentakes for what were Hundreds in Peterford, and area names based on Yorkshire dialect words.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 08:48:28 AM »

Was going to post some stuff later today, maybe.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2011, 12:21:13 PM »

What sort of names would you be using?
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies