Illinois Congressional Jujitsu
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:30:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Illinois Congressional Jujitsu
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Illinois Congressional Jujitsu  (Read 30536 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »

What a disgusting, partisan map, if I may add.

The districts outside of the Chicago area will look a lot prettier (shape-wise) than they have the past 10 years.
Then I'll add, the map created by Democrats 10 years ago was also extremely partisan.

I understand both sides do it, Franzl, and I think it's disappointing both ways, not just when Democrats do it.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 08:59:36 AM »

I understand both sides do it, Franzl, and I think it's disappointing both ways, not just when Democrats do it.

Sure, but until there's fair redistricting nation-wide, it would be quite stupid to "take the moral high ground" here and not use redistricting to your advantage in one of the only important states where Democrats control it.

It's disappointing that we draw districts in America that way, but I'd certainly do the same thing as long as other states do it.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 09:24:05 AM »

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/5656436-418/dems-jockey-over-who-will-run-in-proposed-congressional-districts.html

The new map of the 11th district includes Burr Ridge, where insurance broker John Atkinson lives. Atkinson, though, has already raised $500,000 to launch a primary challenge in the 3rd district against Rep. Dan Lipinski, a conservative Democrat from the Southwest Side.

“I have serious policy differences with Dan Lipinski — I would prefer someone in that seat who wanted to work with the president,” Atkinson said Saturday.

Can't imagine they would seriously allow him do this, but it would be awesome if they did.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 09:36:34 AM »

The districts outside of the Chicago area will look a lot prettier (shape-wise) than they have the past 10 years.
Then I'll add, the map created by Democrats 10 years ago was also extremely partisan.

Um, you obviously didn't read the thread: Democrats didn't have control in Illinois 10 years ago. Republicans held the Governor's mansion and the State Senate. The map that was created was a bipartisan incumbent protector.

I'll also be expecting you to decry the inevitable partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and so forth.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »

Well I know Tmth has been supportive of Proportinal Representation when we've discussed the subject before, so I think he's quite honest here.

STV would end all garrymandering. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2011, 09:50:52 AM »

Um, you obviously didn't read the thread: Democrats didn't have control in Illinois 10 years ago. Republicans held the Governor's mansion and the State Senate. The map that was created was a bipartisan incumbent protector.

I'll also be expecting you to decry the inevitable partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and so forth.
My bad. In that case, the GOP did a horrible job with the map 10 years ago. I'll also complain about future partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and wherever else they may occur.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2011, 10:10:21 AM »

Well I know Tmth has been supportive of Proportinal Representation when we've discussed the subject before, so I think he's quite honest here.

STV would end all garrymandering. Smiley

I just have to roll my eyes at the partisan hypocrisy that goes on with redistricting. It's a terrible gerrymander when the other side does it, but it's a fair map when our side does it. The only thing I complain about is political malpractice, like the awful map the Arkansas Dems produced.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2011, 10:43:55 AM »

You gotta admire the technical skill in this gerrymander too -- it performs solidly on a number of levels and doesn't contain the potential of being a dummymander.
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2011, 05:49:16 PM »

Us Republicans need to STFU. We saw this coming in Illinois. Take it like a man.

We will do the same thing in Texas, Ohio, PA, and N. Carolina, so chill.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 12:13:18 PM »

Most of those systems just turn into incumbent protection plans.
Ah, but even then they're not nearly as bad as legislative incumbent protection plans. (Thinking of Illinois, California...) Anyways, it's sort of self-evident that once a state is reasonably drawn, unless it gains or loses seats or its population distribution shifts massively within the decade, the new map ought to look a lot like the old one.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 12:19:11 PM »

Us Republicans need to STFU. We saw this coming in Illinois. Take it like a man.

We will do the same thing in Texas, Ohio, PA, and N. Carolina, so chill.

Past tense now, it looks like. Illinois Dems claimed what they think are 13 out of 18 seats and Texas Republicans did the same, doubled.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 01:36:04 PM »

My bad. In that case, the GOP did a horrible job with the map 10 years ago. I'll also complain about future partisan gerrymanders in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and wherever else they may occur.

Democrats still controlled the lower house in 2001, so redistricting was a compromise affair. In that light, the last set of lines served Republicans quite well.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2011, 12:08:40 PM »

Dold is running in the 10th.

His first potential opponent? A 25 year old community organizer.

http://glenview.patch.com/articles/waukegan-democrat-is-early-dold-challenger
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2011, 12:19:06 PM »

This guy appears to be running in the 10th as well.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:29 PM »

State Sen. Dave Koehler of Peoria is looking at a run against Schilling in IL-17. Phil Hare has taken himself out of contention for a return to Congress; good news for the Democrats there.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2011, 08:59:03 AM »

State Sen. Dave Koehler of Peoria is looking at a run against Schilling in IL-17. Phil Hare has taken himself out of contention for a return to Congress; good news for the Democrats there.

It's official for Koehler.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2011, 09:57:52 AM »

So I guess that just leaves top-level Democratic recruits for IL-10 and IL-13. I'm wondering if this guy is considering a run for the latter. He has an interesting biography; at age 37, he's been elected to the Champaign County Board, Coundy Auditor, and State Senate, and after getting elected to the State Senate in 2006, he actually increased his margin of victory in 2010. He actually ran against Tim Johnson before, for the State House in 1998 at the age of 25. And he's 6'8", so he'd probably be the tallest member of Congress.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:10 AM »

Is Dan Seals unavailable?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2011, 11:41:33 AM »

He just got a job in the Quinn administration.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2011, 04:37:59 PM »

When's that Fortner guy going to run for Congress? Wink
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2011, 06:45:19 PM »

When's that Fortner guy going to run for Congress? Wink

Not soon enough.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2011, 03:12:17 AM »

He'd have to primary Roskam.

He'd have my moral support, as a matter of course.
ill ind

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2011, 12:39:37 PM »

God Bless Phil Hare

Lost 75 lbs, went off meds for high blood pressure and diabetes, and now gets to spend time with his grand daughter.  There's one guy who probably is thankful every day that he lost reelection!!!

Ill Ind
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2011, 03:20:26 PM »

Looks like Atkinson is giving up, so Foster and Lipinski will probably get free rides in their primaries.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2011, 10:14:02 AM »

So I guess that just leaves top-level Democratic recruits for IL-10 and IL-13. I'm wondering if this guy is considering a run for the latter. He has an interesting biography; at age 37, he's been elected to the Champaign County Board, Coundy Auditor, and State Senate, and after getting elected to the State Senate in 2006, he actually increased his margin of victory in 2010. He actually ran against Tim Johnson before, for the State House in 1998 at the age of 25. And he's 6'8", so he'd probably be the tallest member of Congress.

Frerichs is not running for the 13th.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies