Devolved Leadership Elections
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:29:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Devolved Leadership Elections
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Devolved Leadership Elections  (Read 6451 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2011, 09:38:56 PM »

Lamont is pretty firmly associated with the Left, even if she isn't popular in all sections of it. Have a look at the stuff on nominations (and the link as well) posted by Andrea earlier; the patterns are pretty telling.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »

Voting has started in the Plaid leadership election - result in the middle of March. There are three candidates, and here are three brief and extremely biased profiles:

Lord Elis-Thomas (aka Dafydd Elis Thomas, aka Dafydd El) - AM for Dwyfor Meirionnydd. Dafydd-El has been around for ever and a day; he was the MP for Meirionnydd from 1974 until 1992, led Plaid from 1984 until 1991, has been an AM since 1999, a member of the House of Lords since 1992, was the Assembly's Presiding Officer from 1999 until 2011. A fully-paid up member of what passes for the Welsh Establishment (he is the President - that is Chancellor - of Bangor University and is on the Governing Body of the Church in Wales and served on more quangos than probably even he can remember), Dafydd El used to call himself a Marxist and led the left faction of Plaid in the party's semi-civil war in the 1980s. He is also 66. He hasn't attracted much institutional support, but is the only candidate with serious name recognition.

Elin Jones - AM for Ceredigion. The choice of (most of) the party establishment and backed by a majority of Plaid AMs. She was the Rural Affairs minister in the Labour/Plaid coalition and does not like badgers much. Has had a couple of party posts in the past. Pretty dull.

Leanne Wood - AM for the South Wales Central list since 2003. The candidate of the left of the party, but has attracted a surprising amount of establishment support along the way (including Dafydd Iwan). Loves to be seen as a radical and occasionally goes in for publicity stunts to prove this (much like Dafydd El a few decades back). Quite how she manages to square this with the campaign that she ran against Chris Bryant in 2001 (which some people consider to have been both homophobic and xenophobic) is uncertain, but I'm sure some excuses can be found if the issue (which has been politely forgotten by most) is raised.

Simon Thomas, who was the MP for Ceredigion until he lost his seat in 2005, was also a candidate. But he sent everyone to sleep and so pulled out endorsed Jones.

At a guess the election is wide open. Wood has had most of the positive buzz, but has some serious structural disadvantages (Plaid membership being concentrated in North and West Wales). Jones has the lions share of institutional and establishment support, but she's dull. Dafydd El isn't just yesterdays man, he's last week's man, but is very well known (and very well liked) amongst ordinary Plaid members.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2012, 04:43:39 PM »

Yeah, I can't say I remember Bryant-Wood 2001 campaign. Should easily be Wood.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »

BBC reports that Wood has won.
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2012, 12:40:45 PM »

Leanne Wood wins. Oh me oh my
Not sure how this will work out. Will it split the left vote (especially is the non-Welsh speaking majority of Wales) and let the Tories in marginals?
Or will it push the moderates in Plaid to LibDems and Labour and hurt the party in its heartlands.
Or could it do both?
Andrea
Italy
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
« Edited: March 15, 2012, 12:50:33 PM by Andrea »

Leanne Wood 2879 votes
Elin Jones 1884
Lord Elis-Thomas 1278

2 round

Wood 3326
Jones 2494

Quite how she manages to square this with the campaign that she ran against Chris Bryant in 2001 (which some people consider to have been both homophobic and xenophobic)

I recall the animosity of that campaign (Plaid just won the Rhondda in the Assembly election, Bryant was a new candidate, I remamber someone branding him as "the exotic candidate" in the media) but could you refresh us on which were the main allegations flying around? If it doesn't lead you in defamation risk territory
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2012, 12:52:43 PM »

This certainly doesn't look good for them considering the proposed boundaries for 2015.

Although:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I feel as though i'd do something like this...
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2012, 03:03:05 PM »

There doesn't seem to have been any mention yet of the forthcoming Ulster Unionist leadership election.  Perhaps this is a sign of how far the UUP have fallen with their 2005 disaster and the 2010 UCUNF farce.

Anyway, Tom Elliott resigned last week, and there are three candidates so far: Danny Kennedy (Newry & Armagh), John McAllister (South Down) and Mike Nesbitt (Strangford).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulster_Unionist_Party_leadership_election,_2012
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 03:15:13 PM »

This certainly doesn't look good for them considering the proposed boundaries for 2015.

Although:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I feel as though i'd do something like this...
That's just what she likes to call herself, her name is von Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies