How do video gamers vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:28:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  How do video gamers vote
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Poll
Question: Political ideology of gamers
Democrat

Republican

Libertarian

Others/Independent

Apolitical

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 70

Author Topic: How do video gamers vote  (Read 8155 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »

Then I'm a gamer of a different breed. Libertarian Conservative Republican Smiley
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2011, 11:36:58 AM »

Seeing as how a large amount of people in the United States owns some type of video game, giving Libertarians anywhere near 40% is ridiculous.  55% democratic?  Maybe.  10% Republican is far to low for a general category like this.

The highest I see is 35% for Republicans. The demographics favor the Dems in this position for the reasons that I mention.  

So you basically just agreed with me.. Thanks for making that simple Tongue
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2011, 02:07:16 PM »

Seeing as how a large amount of people in the United States owns some type of video game, giving Libertarians anywhere near 40% is ridiculous.  55% democratic?  Maybe.  10% Republican is far to low for a general category like this.

The highest I see is 35% for Republicans. The demographics favor the Dems in this position for the reasons that I mention.  

I'm just see the market for Republicans gamers not that high compare to libertarians and democrats. That just if I had to predict the highest for gamers that vote Republican. I still put them around the 10-20s area for gamers voting the GOP.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »
« Edited: May 31, 2011, 04:53:59 PM by bgwah »

Rich, sheltered suburban kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 04:55:37 PM »

Rich, sheltered white kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.

It's amazing how all those who come up with this hyper-original meme tend to fit the description perfectly themselves.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »

Rich, sheltered white kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.

It's amazing how all those who come up with this hyper-original meme tend to fit the description perfectly themselves.

Zing! So original!

I think I've bought one video/computer game in the past 7 years, FTR. Nice try, though.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 05:01:42 PM »

Zing! So original!

I think I've bought one video/computer game in the past 7 years, FTR. Nice try, though.

I don't believe that was in your post.  In any case, I haven't either.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2011, 05:09:08 PM »

The point was that spending so much time in video games removes you from reality, hence the "unaware of reality" bit. But perhaps I was foolish to assume you understood something so obvious.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2011, 05:11:34 PM »

Rich, sheltered suburban kids completely unaware of reality? Definitely gonna be a relatively strong libertarian presence.

If video gamers are like that, then you might as well add movie buffs and book lovers that fit the description. Or your just being elitist :cool
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:34 PM »

If video gamers are like that, then you might as well add movie buffs and book lovers that fit the description. Or your just being elitist :cool

I would wager the average movie buff spends quite a bit less time watching movies than the average gamer spends gaming, but I can't prove that.

And it depends on what kind of books. Personally, I would exempt many non-fictional books. Wink
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:58 PM »

The point was that spending so much time in video games removes you from reality, hence the "unaware of reality" bit. But perhaps I was foolish to assume you understood something so obvious.

Indeed, perhaps you are a fool.

Of course, there are other ways to be removed from reality, such as spending 238 days on US Election Atlas (in b4 lame tu quoque).  But I wouldn't have expected you to understand something so obvious.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2011, 05:26:01 PM »

Indeed, perhaps you are a fool.

Of course, there are other ways to be removed from reality, such as spending 238 days on US Election Atlas (in b4 lame tu quoque).  But I wouldn't have expected you to understand something so obvious.

bgwah (3:11:42 PM):   oh god
bgwah(3:11:45 PM):   i got into an argument with wormy
Kalwejt (3:11:54 PM):   lol
bgwah(3:12:00 PM):   hes looking at my profile now
bgwah(3:12:06 PM):   $10 says hes going to post # of days i spent online
Kalwejt (3:12:10 PM):   ZOMGZ
Kalwejt (3:12:14 PM):   HE'S GOING TO REPORT YOU!
Kalwejt (3:12:28 PM):   He's tellinhg on you to teh moderators

I win! I win! Trolls tend to be predictable creatures.

So, what you're saying Wormyguy, is that I (the non-libertarian) have spent approximately 8.8% of my time since joining online, while you (the libertarian) have spent 24% of your time online here? Thanks for proving my point. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2011, 05:28:00 PM »

Damn, I type too fast and I typed "tellinhg", haha Grin
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:09 PM »

Hmm, don't think I've ever reported a post of yours or Kalwejt's.  Wish I could say the same for you with regards to me.  Do I get a prize for knowing before posting that your response would be to post the % of time we've each spent online?  (You may just have gained new insight into the exciting world of my chronic insomnia).  I'm glad you are so interested in me that you like to refresh the "active users" list over and over to see what I'm doing.  It's very flattering.  In any case, I don't believe we were discussing me, and I will readily admit that I'm a super-lame geek.  We were discussing you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »

Hmm, don't think I've ever reported a post of yours or Kalwejt's.

And I'm the Empress of Siam. Nice to meet you.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »

Hmm, don't think I've ever reported a post of yours or Kalwejt's.

And I'm the Empress of Siam. Nice to meet you.

Nice to meet you too, I'm the Emperor, start making babies.

(I'm not sure how many posts I've reported, but the number is probably less than ten and most likely less than five.  I've never reported a post that attacked me, though I did once have someone else report a post in which someone accused me of being a pedophile).
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »

Gamers = mainstream. Just excluding the bottom 10% maybe.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:44 PM »

Zing! So original!

You shouldn't stereotype a demographic that you obviously have nothing in common with and know nothing about.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2011, 08:25:50 AM »

They're not rich, their Republican daddies are.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2011, 04:13:25 PM »

This.  I expect that a DEEP libertarian streak runs among the Xbox live crowd. 
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2011, 05:00:56 PM »

This.  I expect that a DEEP libertarian streak runs among the Xbox live crowd. 

What about the PS3 and Wii? I put PS3 at Democrat and Wii at Republican/Libertarian.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2011, 05:18:02 PM »

Why? That doesn't really make any sense.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2011, 05:18:48 PM »

I'm an avid gamer, and a lot of people I game with fall into the right-leaning-libertarian category I consider myself to fall into.  A lot of the left-leaning types seem to fall more into the "Post-Modern" Pew classification.  http://people-press.org/2011/05/04/beyond-red-vs-blue-the-political-typology/

There's a fair share of hardcore right-wing Republicans, too.  Haven't encountered too many ideologically leftist folks, but they're around.

Also worth noting is that many gamers are adult professionals.  I'm a 34-year old attorney, and I regularly game with others my age (and even older) who have thriving professional careers.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2011, 06:08:37 PM »

They're not rich, their Republican daddies are.

Tomato, tomahto.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #49 on: June 01, 2011, 07:46:15 PM »

I'm just see the market for Republicans gamers not that high compare to libertarians and democrats. That just if I had to predict the highest for gamers that vote Republican. I still put them around the 10-20s area for gamers voting the GOP.

I'm completely willing to say the majority are probably democrats.  I can't give libertarians anywhere near the number of 40% like some have suggested and though I agree Republicans are in the minority, 10% strikes me as low.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies