1968-A Collaborative Timeline
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:53:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968-A Collaborative Timeline
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 1968-A Collaborative Timeline  (Read 9992 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 29, 2011, 09:33:21 PM »

http://www.alternatehistory.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=189227
These are popular on other boards, so I wanted to try it here.

Rules

1. This timeline will be based on a alternative history, starting with a predetermined POD in 1968. It continues to the present day.

2. No nuclear wars, zombies, Soviet conquest of America etc.

3. Politics, and History will be a focus, but lets free alot of space for music, television, film, and literature to take a differant course as well. Culture is very interesting in alternate histories. Sports can be changed too. I wonder how the Dolphins would do in 1972, with Kennedy as President....

4. Dont kill off random people. For example, killing Pol-Pot before he comes to power is ok, but dont kill every other President of the US.

5. Try to keep it in date form. Read the first page of the provided link to get the gist of things.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 09:37:40 PM »

I call dibs on all things Jim Morrison!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2011, 09:48:06 PM »

Gotcha! And I will take the Band. Im starting the first batch of convention post. If you like, you can add the VP canidates. Basically, every 10 years, we combine the decades, and then will repost them into one complete timeline (without our post in between, etc).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 09:51:23 PM »

June 5th, 1968: Robert Kennedy wins the California Democratic primary. Moments later, shots ring out in the Kitchen of the Ambassador Hotel. A bullet grazes Kennedy's head, but does not severly injure him. Two bystanders die from wounds sustained.

August 5th, 1968: On the second ballot, California Governor Ronald Reagan is nominated by the Republican Party, after Strom Thurmond hit a deal with him.

October 1st, 1968: George Wallace endorses Ronald Reagan for President, and ends his third party campaign.

August 28th 1968: With Richard Daleys help, Kennedy wins the Democratic nomination over Vice President Hubert Humphrey.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 09:59:49 AM »

Another set of PODS..Please, anyone, feel free to contribute. The timeline goes on up to today.

April 4th, 1968: Martin Luther King Junior. is uninjured in a assassination attempt at the Loraine Hotel, in Memphis. A young follower, Jesse Jackson, is wounded.

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 10:55:15 AM »

July 10th, 1968- CBS TV newsman Harry Reasoner is assassinated while covering a civil rights story for the new TV show "60 Minutes"

April 4th, 1968- 2001 A Space Odyssey premieres. It becomes the number one movie of 1968.

August 19th, 1968: Popular Detroit shock band "The Stooges" are signed to electra records. Their first album is scheduled for realse in 1969.

August 30th, 1968- Eugene McCarthy announces his run as a third party canidate under the "Peace and Freedom Party" Banner

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 10:56:05 AM »

Speaking of bands I call Iggy Pop and The Stooges, btw
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2011, 01:16:45 PM »

August 6th, 1968: The Republican Party nominates Jim Rhodes to be Reagans running mate.

August 29th, 1968: Ralph Yarborough is nominated to be Kennedys running mate.

October 3rd, 1968: Martin Luther King Jr. is tapped to be Eugene McCarthys running mate. He accepts.

October 15th 1968- NBC airs the one and only debate held for the 1968 Presidential Election. It includes only Governor Reagan and Senator Kennedy.
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2011, 03:51:19 PM »

November 6th 1968- One of the closest elections in history occurs. The night is a long one for all three men, Reagan jumps to an early lead due to McCarthy splitting the Liberal vote and winning DC and Minnesota.

The first TV network to declare a winner was ABC who called the race for Reagan. The third place network used the league of women voters to compile votes. NBC was the second network to declare, but had Kennedy winning. CBS stayed Neutral until the next day.

November 7th 1968- The winner was declared at 3:00 eastern time when Reagan was declared the winner after winning Wisconsin and Ohio, the two closest states.

Reagan/Rhodes- 283
Kennedy/Yarbourgh- 248
McCarthy/King- 7

In his Victory speech, Reagan pledged to bring the country together. He also reached out to Senator Kennedy, hoping to work with him in the future.

Senator Kennedy was grateful at the loss, but was angry at McCarthy. "Senator McCarthy has spoiled the election." He pledged to work with President Reagan in the future.

ABC News gained viewers thanks to the call for Reagan, while NBC lost ground due to the bad call. This began to shift the network news ratings.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2011, 07:12:37 PM »

January 5th, 1968: Alexander Dubcek is named Chairman of the Czechoslovakian Communist Party.

January 14th, 1968: The Oakland Raiders come from behind and beat the Green Bay Packers in Superbowl II 31-29.

January 15th, 1968: A Earthquake rattles Sicily, killing 264, and injuring 307 people.

January 21st, 1968: Battle of Khe Sahn begins in Vietnam

January 23rd, 1968: Pueblo Incident-A small squad of North Korean gunboats attempt to capture the USS Peublo. The ship manages to escape without damage, though a sailor aboard is injured.

January 30th, 1968: Tet Offensive begins.

January 31st, 1968: The US embassy in Saigon is attacked by the Vietcong. Ambassador Bunker is killed in the attack. President Johnson names Graham Martin to the post.

April 8th, 1968: US troops withdrawl from Khe Sahn, the first major defeat for the US military in the war.

January 20th, 1968: Ronald Reagan is sworn in as 37th President.

January 21st: Richard Nixon is appointed US Ambassador to South Vietnam, a position he accepts.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2011, 07:17:37 PM »

Hows this for a Reagan cabinet?

Secretary of State-Henry Kissinger

Secretary of Treasury-John Connally

Secretary of Defense-William Rodgers

Attorney General-Spiro Agnew

Secretary of Agriculture-Robert Byrd

Secretary of Commerce-George Romney

Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare-Nelson Rockefeller

Head of the Navy-John McCain II

Secretary of Transportation-John Volpe

Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »

Hows this for a Reagan cabinet?

Secretary of State-Henry Kissinger

Secretary of Agriculture-Robert Byrd

Secretary of Health, Education, and Welfare-Nelson Rockefeller

Head of the Navy-John McCain II

Sounds good
JewCon
LongIslandBorn
Israel

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 08:45:09 PM »

March 15th 1968: Ambassador Nixon is murdered in Saigon by a group of South Vietnamese soldiers, who were really North Vietnamese spies.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2011, 09:05:41 PM »
« Edited: May 30, 2011, 09:08:11 PM by ChairmanSanchez »

March 15th 1968: Ambassador Nixon is murdered in Saigon by a group of South Vietnamese soldiers, who were really North Vietnamese spies.
See, I had plans for Nixon, so I rather not see him killed so early. How about this-

March 15th, 1969: Ambassador Richard Nixon is uninjured in an ambush by Vietcong fighters.

Welcome to the timeline Smiley I hope we could continue this on up to 2011! Also, to make it easier, lets do 10 year blocks. We could start the next time block for 1970-1980, once we get through 68-69..
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2011, 02:46:08 PM »

January 12th, 1969- The New York Jets dominate the Dallas Cowboys 34-3 to win Super Bowl 3. Namath's guarantee comes true

January 12th 1969- LED ZEPPLIN 1 released in the US.

February 5th 1969- A huge Oil spill occurs off the Santa Barbara coast near California.

August 5th 1969- The Stooges, the debut album of the Detroit shock band is released. Their single "No Fun" makes it to Number 5 in the Billboard top 100, while "I wanna be your dog" makes it to number 25. The album sells a million copies.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2011, 04:08:30 PM »

August 20th, 1968: Soviet, East German, Polish, Hungarian, and Bulgarian forces invade Czechoslovakia, as a result of the "Prague Spring".

August 21st, 1968: Czechoslovakia surrenders. The reformist leadership is rounded up.

August 22nd, 1968: President Johnson, and President-elect Reagan condemn the crisis in Czechoslovakia.

August 23rd, 1968: North Korean fighter planes shoot down a American plane, sparking further tensions.

August 27th, 1968: The Turkish military attempts a coup, which subsequently fails.

February 2nd, 1969: A Czech student sets himself on fire to protest the Soviet occupation of his nation.

January 21st, 1969: The Reagan cabinet meets for the first time..

Secretary of State-Henry Cabot Lodge
Secretary of Agriculture-Robert Dole
Secretary of Health,Education, and Welfare-Nelson Rockefeller

September 1st, 1969: A coup by Colonel Qaddafi fails in Libya. He flees to East Germany.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »

I didn't know this had progressed do fast, so here's a recap of 1968 that I have so far (may not be complete):

March 1968: "Unknown Soldier" is released as a single.

May 10th, 1968: The Doores perform at the Chicago Collisseum. Reaching the height of their popularity, the crowd is in a state of frenzy and the police are forced to intervene. Among songs performed are "Unkown Soldier" and the twenty-minute "Celebration of the Lizard". Both are soon to be released on album.

June 1968: "Hello, I Love You" is released as a single. It will soon be released on the Doors' next album "Waiting for the Sun". While it will not become the number one hit single, it will do moderately well.

July 11th, 1968: The Doors release "Waiting for the Sun", their third studio album. On its B side is the rock epic "Celebration of the Lizard". Songs on the A side include "Hello I Love You", "Five to One", and "Unknown Soldier".

August 6th 1968: "Unknown Soldier", a single that has been performing poorly, but has been kept on the market, sees, like other songs against war or in protest, a rise in popularity the day after Governor Reagan wins the Republican nomination.

August 11th, 1968: "Unknown Soldier" reaches #5 on the charts, its peak in popularity for one week before it disappears. Nevertheless, it has earned its place in the Doors' Greatest HIts.

December, 1968: The Doors' single "Touch Me" is released.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2011, 08:19:34 PM »

By the way, on the forum there's a sweet Reagan in 68 timeline that never got completed that I always thought was awesome. I can give you a link to it.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 08:54:05 PM »

By the way, on the forum there's a sweet Reagan in 68 timeline that never got completed that I always thought was awesome. I can give you a link to it.

I read some of it, and it was very good Smiley

Are there any Vietnam experts on the forum who would like to contribute?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 09:02:35 PM »

Hopefully Kennedy can come back in 1976 or 1980! We shall see...
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -0.87

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2011, 09:15:38 AM »

March 21, 1969 Senator Strom Thurmond proposes the 26th amendment. This amendmen forbids busing, any form of anti-discrimination laws or any form of racial quotas.

May 1, 1969 Polls show that over 82% of americans support the amendment.

May 5, 1969 President Reagan gives an impassioned speech calling for the 26th Amendment

May 28, 1969 The house of representatives votes on the amendment with a narrow margin. It is now up for the senate.

June 14, 1969 The 26th amendment narrowly passes the senate and is now up for states to ratify it..
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2011, 12:53:15 PM »

July 4th, 1969: Alabama is the first state to pass the 26th amendment.

July 20th, 1969: Apollo 11th results in sucess, with Buzz Aldrin, Michael Collins,  and Neil Armstrong walking on the Moon.
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »

July 18, 1969: In a shocking turn of events, Massachusetts' legislature passes the 26th amendment by one vote. Pundits theorize that an ongoing riot and citizen concerns with bushing may have been what prompted this shocking turn of events.

July 21, 1969: President Ronald Reagan addresses the nation about Apollo 11 and promises to have a lunar base and multiple orbital solar power sattelites in operation by 1976.

July 22-29 1969: Steven Hawking, Arthur C. Clarke, Peter Glaser and William C. Brown appear in front of congress to speak about the feasibility of orbital solar power and propose methods for achieving it. This goes over well, except for the case of Sen. Proxmire(D-WI) who goes into a loud screaming rant for two hours and drops dead from a heart attack on the spot.
Hotblack Desiato
Rookie
Uruguay

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2011, 08:55:30 PM »

I have a bit of a recurring subplot for this timeline that I think would be interesting.

Imagine if you will a conservative movement influenced more by people like Goldwater, or pre-1980 Reagan instead of what we got in OTL. We'd be talking about a movement that focuses more on immigration, culture, certain forms of elitism, protecting the 26th amendment and states rights instead of our conservative movement's focus on cultural issues.

Now, sheer numbers means that the religious right, pro-lifers and other people voting on "moral values" issues wouldn't be marginalized and decried by the GOP establishment the way that "nativists" like Tancredo or Ron Paul's people but they'd be much less influential than OTL in the party. For example, the national GOP platform would say nothing about abortion* but state platforms in particularly anti-abortion regions might.

* Just as an example. The way I'm thinking, Roe v. Wade doesn't happen TTL since the SC has an attack of sanity and doesn't touch such political dynamite.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 02:31:45 PM »

July 18, 1969: In a shocking turn of events, Massachusetts' legislature passes the 26th amendment by one vote. Pundits theorize that an ongoing riot and citizen concerns with bushing may have been what prompted this shocking turn of events.

July 21, 1969: President Ronald Reagan addresses the nation about Apollo 11 and promises to have a lunar base and multiple orbital solar power sattelites in operation by 1976.

July 22-29 1969: Steven Hawking, Arthur C. Clarke, Peter Glaser and William C. Brown appear in front of congress to speak about the feasibility of orbital solar power and propose methods for achieving it. This goes over well, except for the case of Sen. Proxmire(D-WI) who goes into a loud screaming rant for two hours and drops dead from a heart attack on the spot.

I dont know if that is possible. But I suppose we can see it happen with a alternate NASA...As for the Conservative movement, I like that. Its my kind of conservatism. Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies