Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 83262 times)
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 19, 2012, 12:53:45 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me if Nenshi is a Liberal. He is certainly quite Progressive.  I'd rather not know if he's a Liberal, because I like him, and I don't want to have a negative view of him. (I'd still support him though, since it's Calgary, and having even a Liberal mayor there is huge).

Actually, Nenshi's predecessor, Dave Bronconnier, was also a Liberal--as was (I think) his predecessor Al Duerr (and even Ralph Klein was Liberal-affiliated before he jumped to the PCs and the legislature).  For some reason, Calgary's mayoral profile quite profoundly contradicts its federal-provincial legislative profile.

No where else for Liberals to go, but municipal politics?

I think municipal politics are seen as less partisan, so conservative voters are willing to vote for good candidates with policies and ideas for improving the city, regardless of political persuasion. That's the impression I've got from some Albertan tories, anyway.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »

I'm still scratching my head as to what happened in 2010 that saw Calgary elect Nenshi and Toronto elect Rob Ford.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2012, 09:29:01 AM »

Calgary has always been much more progressive than people give it credit for.

As for Ford, his election was directly related to Miller. Miller was far too left-wing, or, at least, looked far too left-wing. He was terrible at "selling" his policies, and that's how Ford got elected.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2012, 09:46:49 AM »

Calgary has always been much more progressive than people give it credit for.

As for Ford, his election was directly related to Miller. Miller was far too left-wing, or, at least, looked far too left-wing. He was terrible at "selling" his policies, and that's how Ford got elected.

I disagree, Miller wasn't that leftist especially while Mayor. He was a second term mayor who didn't run again; if he had, i'm sure he would have won again... thats something we can argue till the end of time but as someone who lives DT, he would have had the old city locked up mostly.
Miller was hurt badly by the strike that was obvious and i think that drove him to step aside. The pendulum just started to swing right, its natural after having a left-centre left administration that the rights arguments started to get more attention/traction. Ford was/is a loud mouth who ran on a slogan and an idea that people were diluted to believe was true... esp those who have no idea what taxes pay for etc. They were more motivated to vote.
Had Tory run, or if even Giambrone, Rossi and Thompson stayed in the race it might have been a different outcome. I always thought it was a mistake for Giambrone to 1)deny the affair/fling and 2) withdraw from the race.

Anyway... TO is a mixed bag, the Old City of toronto is progressive to moderate as you head north and the inner burbs is moderate to conservative depending where you are. I am thankful TO is weak mayor, one vote among many kinda town Smiley
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2012, 10:21:09 AM »

Miller looked overly left-wing and incompetent who allowed city hall to fill up with gravy

Looked.

The fact that Ford can't seem to find any gravy proves that this was not the case, but voters thought it was.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2012, 10:30:39 AM »

Miller looked overly left-wing and incompetent who allowed city hall to fill up with gravy

Looked.

The fact that Ford can't seem to find any gravy proves that this was not the case, but voters thought it was.

... To some he did for sure, and you saw that when the votes were counted (outside the old city Ford won, but Smitherman took TO).
Exactly, there was and is very little gravy to be had... like i said, it was a perfect storm that helped Ford win.

Anywho.. on topic, that Star report also mentioned Mark Holland as a contender, where would he stand among the crowd? is it likely he would run. So far there have been no names from West of Ontario, have the Grits given up the West? it has to be said that the seats they won were in most cases won on the current MP (thinking Goodale, Lameroux, Fry) All three ridings would fall if they step down.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »

Holland: Sounds likely, but he has no chance of beating Rae.

West: Lamoureux is too inexperienced, Goodale is too old, politically dated and unilingual, and Fry's batshoot.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2012, 11:02:26 AM »

I wasn't advocating any of them running at all...  your points are right on Tongue
But any interest from the west at all, outside caucus ala Topp? (I don't see Robertson going Liberal, if anything he might see a 2015 NDP run in VanCentre (or whatever riding is roughly that one)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2012, 11:10:31 AM »

No. All the candidates are Ontarian except LeBlanc, if he runs.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2012, 11:28:37 AM »

No. All the candidates are Ontarian except LeBlanc, if he runs.

What, he's not bland anymore Huh Wink
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2012, 11:33:14 AM »

He'd be a mixture of Ed Miliband and Stephane Dion. Not exactly the guy you want facing Stephen Harper.
adma
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2012, 08:11:13 PM »

Miller wasn't terrible at "selling" his policies.  Smitherman (and Pantalone) were.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2012, 03:34:33 AM »

If Lamoureux weren't in his first full term in Parliament, he would be an interesting choice for leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #213 on: January 20, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »

Agreed there. For now he should be a western lieutenant, but he'll never be leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

Here's the problem: Liberal activists don't want the one man not named Bob Rae who's been at the forefront of rebuilding. Namely Brison.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/defence+politicians/6020739/story.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #215 on: January 21, 2012, 10:31:42 PM »

Rex Murphy last night: Rae will win because there's no one else.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #216 on: January 22, 2012, 10:48:57 PM »

To continue a conversation I had with Hatman in the General Discussion thread, Rae is more popular than Harper in Ontario- but only until the Permanent Campaign reboots. Depends if Rae continues defending his record or gets convinced to drop that altogether and keep it all Brisonomics, all the time.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #217 on: January 22, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »

I don't think Rae has to defend his record really. It was so long ago, and, the people who are most likely to vote for him now - Liberals - are also the most likely to understand why he did what he did.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #218 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:03 PM »

Rae himself doesn't think so- that's why he's building a warchest for a Permanent Campaign of their own. I agree that it shouldn't matter after a generation, but evidently Ontarians still think differently.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2012, 11:39:14 PM »

There are people even today who wont vote for the provincial NDP just because of Bob Rae. (while they are happy to vote for the federal NDP)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2012, 12:01:55 AM »

Regardless, I think we can all agree that none of those considering running can seriously challenge Rae's hammerlock on the nomination. Who will run if Rae does apart from Kennedy? Garneau and McGuinty are vanishingly unlikely. Holland and BW probably, dunno about Hall Findlay. Definitely not LeBland.

I'd also recommend a Shadow Cabinet reshuffle, since many people either shouldn't hold portfolios (Fry) and others are ill-suited for their current ones (Bennett in Aboriginal instead of Health).
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2012, 01:21:23 AM »

Rae lead an incompetent government.
Some people think Ontario NDP = Incompetent government.
It really had less to do with left/right on that
DL
Canada

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06:25 AM »

If Lamoureux weren't in his first full term in Parliament, he would be an interesting choice for leader.

He is an anti-abortion fanatic....not much chance of Liberals wanting to go that way!
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2012, 08:47:38 AM »

Rae lead an incompetent government.
Some people think Ontario NDP = Incompetent government.
It really had less to do with left/right on that

Mostly, i wont go as far as saying incompetent but they ran a pretty poor goverment. Well it was a perfect storm in 90, i will defend parts of that term but not all of it.

Many... if not most of the MPPs elected in 90 were not expected to win, when i lived in Peterborough i work on the executive with Jenny Carter, who was elected in 90 and ran mainly cause her Husband had a name in the community... and we cabn't forget that Mamoliti (toronto extremist right wing councillor) was an NDP MPP too... (still makes me cring).
The corporate business sector in the province was out to get them, at every opportunity, every right wing media outlet were all working against the NDP...
NAFTA was coming into effect which made the recession of the 90s even harder on the governement.
But worst of all, for those of us who bleed orange, they broke their promises and failed to bring in Public Auto insurance and force the social contract on workers.

Anywho... point is, I agree with Hatman, yes there will be those who vote Liberal now who might bolt for the Tories (more likely) if he run and wins the leadership. Then depending on who the NDP nominate they may lose their soft left wing to the NDP as well (Mulcair, maybe Nash as the ON girl)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

How would other Ontarian contenders like Kennedy or David McGuinty do there?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies