Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:48:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 83659 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #425 on: June 27, 2012, 06:33:23 PM »

Well, the Liberal vote would collapse even more in Quebec with her, as she is one of the responsibles of failure of Meech.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #426 on: June 27, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »

Well, the Liberal vote would collapse even more in Quebec with her, as she is one of the responsibles of failure of Meech.

If anyone remembers who she is. It'll be lonely out there for at least the next 2 months. I will give her credit for a very detailed manifesto though.

http://www.deborahcoyne.ca/myvisionforcanada/
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #427 on: June 27, 2012, 06:53:07 PM »

If anyone remembers who she is. It'll be lonely out there for at least the next 2 months. I will give her credit for a very detailed manifesto though.

http://www.deborahcoyne.ca/myvisionforcanada/

I'm pretty sure some party will remind us if needed.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #428 on: June 28, 2012, 01:30:18 PM »

Trudeau's decision will come by summer's end.

http://m.caledoncitizen.com/node/56618
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #429 on: July 04, 2012, 09:06:23 PM »

My advice would be to set some sort of polling/fundraising threshold. Else the debates will look like the NY 2010 gubernatorial- complete & utter clusterfark with so much white noise.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1221609--warning-to-liberals-beware-delusional-no-hope-leadership-candidates
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2012, 12:31:07 PM »
« Edited: July 09, 2012, 08:03:04 PM by Mideast Assemblyman RogueBeaver »

Trudeau still mulling his options.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/calgary/Justin%2BTrudeau%2Bstar%2Bpower%2Bfull%2Bdisplay%2BCalgary%2BStampede/6899999/story.html

The professionals and activists will fuse together for the first time since the Strangler's departure if he runs.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1223731--hebert-even-without-a-decision-justin-trudeau-emerging-as-liberal-leadership-frontrunner
RedPrometheus

« Reply #431 on: July 10, 2012, 04:28:14 AM »

Why is Trudeau so popular? Did he accomplish anything yet? And what are his political positions?
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #432 on: July 10, 2012, 06:46:42 AM »

Why is Trudeau so popular? Did he accomplish anything yet? And what are his political positions?

the Trudeau name is ICONIC, not only in the Liberal Party but in Canada, but especially among Liberals.
Hes also exceptionally media savy, and rather handsome and young... a trifecta if i ever heard one Smiley
But your point stands; i don't think hes accomplished much?, hes only in his second term and neither were in gov't. Can anyone chim in on possible private members bills or anything hes ever done?

Really hes the darling of the party... because of his name
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #433 on: July 10, 2012, 01:26:22 PM »

It seems odd that Trudeau would be viewed so positively, considering the way in which Trudeau managed to earn the hatred of everyone in the country by 1984.
adma
« Reply #434 on: July 10, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »

the Trudeau name is ICONIC, not only in the Liberal Party but in Canada, but especially among Liberals.
Hes also exceptionally media savy, and rather handsome and young... a trifecta if i ever heard one Smiley
But your point stands; i don't think hes accomplished much?, hes only in his second term and neither were in gov't. Can anyone chim in on possible private members bills or anything hes ever done?

Really hes the darling of the party... because of his name

And with an assist from what put him on the map in his own right: his eulogy for his dad in 2000...
CalgaryManifesto
Rookie

« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2012, 12:59:26 AM »

I've heard him speak a couple of times, and even as someone with no great love for him or his party, I'll admit he is a heck of a speaker.

He could probably use a couple more years of development in terms of policy understanding. He isn't in the same league as his dad intellectually, but could probably fake it in the short term.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #436 on: July 20, 2012, 09:07:16 AM »

So this started way earlier than anyone imagined.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/07/20/lawrence-martin-trudeaus-team-takes-shape/
DL
Canada

« Reply #437 on: July 20, 2012, 10:33:53 AM »

The article is weird. The headline refers to "Trudeau's 'team' taking shape" but then when you read it - there is mention one individual who may or not not get involved if Justin does or does not run...one possible person is not what i call a "team".
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #438 on: July 20, 2012, 01:55:47 PM »

He also mentions Tom Pitfield and Ted Johnson, 2 other names. The names are news but the team assembly isn't, Ivison reported that way back in early June. So it looks like an announcement date in September or early October at this stage, barring further tea leaves.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #439 on: July 21, 2012, 10:09:12 AM »

Forget the "if."

http://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201207/20/01-4557684-direction-du-plc-justin-trudeau-songe-plus-que-jamais-a-faire-le-saut.php
DL
Canada

« Reply #440 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »

The other parties are licking their lips with glee that the Liberals might go for a gaffe prone airhead like Justin Trudeau as their leader.

Imagine the once great Liberal Party that was once associated with competent fiscal management etc...led by someone whose only qualifiaction is having been a substitute drama teacher in a high school.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #441 on: July 21, 2012, 10:08:42 PM »

The other parties are licking their lips with glee that the Liberals might go for a gaffe prone airhead like Justin Trudeau as their leader.

Imagine the once great Liberal Party that was once associated with competent fiscal management etc...led by someone whose only qualifiaction is having been a substitute drama teacher in a high school.

As flakey as he is, he is their best hope. I guess that tells you more about the state of the Liberals than anything.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #442 on: July 23, 2012, 09:08:55 AM »

Does anyone think Gordon Campbell or Christy Clark would be good leaders? They might be able to take advantage of the conservative downturn in British Columbia and bring about a Liberal resurgence.

I think a better scenario for Justin Trudeau would be if the Liberal Leadership Conference were delayed till 2014. That way, he wouldn't come under as much scrutiny, plus he's have less time to make potential gaffes. In addition, he'd probably have a good leadership honeymoon compared to Mulcair, who'd have be in for two years, and Harper, who'd have been for eleven years.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #443 on: July 23, 2012, 09:30:37 AM »

Uh, no. Gordon Campbell is politically disgraced and Christy Clark's headed for a wipeout in 10 months.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #444 on: July 23, 2012, 09:42:44 AM »

Uh, no. Gordon Campbell is politically disgraced and Christy Clark's headed for a wipeout in 10 months.

Lol, I wasn't serious about Clark. And is Gordon Campbell so disgraced he can't lead a party again? I mean, even Bob Rae's become a pretty credible leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #445 on: July 23, 2012, 10:00:20 AM »

16 years elapsed between Rae's defeat and his election as leader. Campbell left only last year and the HST is a prime reason why the Liberals are going down hard. Did I mention he now works for Harper in London?

Anyways, this news means that LeBlanc and Kennedy are almost certainly out. MHF, Garneau and McGuinty probably get in. Only McGuinty has the resources to compete.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »

If Trudeau is serious about being pm then the next election should definitely be sat out. The way things are headed point towards a showdown between NDP and PC. Even more so with the ongoing debates over northern gateway and the NDP poised to take back BC provincially.

The liberals should coalesce around some well-liked policies (balanced budgets, decreased military spending, to name a couple), and focus on an improved national image and winning a few more seats. Forget winning the whole thing, just show some genuine efforts at sound policy and legitimate governing. Then, after the next cycle, and almost guaranteed incompetence by whoever is governing, the liberals could go for their star candidate, and the win.

I also feel compelled to say I don't think Trudeau is necessarily the right pick either, as one absolutely cannot discount the hatred for his name in AB and SK. Although seemingly unnecessary for the win (to court the prairies that is) the liberals must eat into the core of PC support as well as sway those who are eagerly voting NDP now, but may become disheartened later on. I still remember the days when a liberal represented my old Edmonton riding, it's not out of reach. Quebec remains a wild card and to hedge bets on a Trudeau sweep of QC seems farfetched. The liberals desperately need to expand beyond their small contingency from the maritimes, the gta, Montreal and Vancouver. I hate to sound like the westerner I am, but a pick like Redford in 5-7 years could revitalize the party in the prairies as well as in the suburbs, and her consistent calls for cooperation and national consensus seem to be setting the stage for a federal run.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #447 on: August 03, 2012, 10:56:48 PM »

MHF continuing to move towards entry but she still has issues with Elections Canada.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1236880--martha-hall-findlay-eyes-run-to-be-liberal-leader
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #448 on: August 13, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »

Doubtful Kennedy or LeBlanc get in. IMO McGuinty's the only one who can give Trudeau any sort of fight because of his experience, fundraising capability and Rolodex.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1241048--tim-harper-liberal-leadership-summertime-dreaming-clouded-by-night-jitters
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #449 on: August 15, 2012, 06:26:28 PM »

Garneau moving closer to entry.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/ex-astronaut-garneau-close-to-decision-about-federal-liberal-leadership--166300966.html
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies