Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:39:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 83663 times)
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #500 on: November 21, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »

Apparently (Joyce) Murray will be the token left-Liberal in the race. Go figure.

That's pretty laughable. Joyce Murray's previous claim to fame was to have been a cabinet minister in the ultra-rightwing first term Gordon Campbell government. She went berzerk as a Campbell BC Liberal - first as environment minister where she was pilloried as the "minister AGAINST the environment" where she gleefully tore up environmental regulations and did as she was told by the forestry and mining industry...then she was health minister where she went out of her way to privatize services, and crush the union representing the most low paid health care workers.   
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #501 on: November 23, 2012, 03:34:14 AM »

Garneau let the cat out of the bag, still no official announcement.

http://www.leaderpost.com/technology/Garneau+touts+importance+west/7598325/story.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #502 on: November 23, 2012, 07:43:28 PM »

Garneau is announcing next Wednesday.

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/23/marc-garneau-to-announce-liberal-leadership-bid-next-week
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #503 on: November 23, 2012, 08:04:21 PM »

I don't know much about Canadian politics, but I was wondering whether something happened after the most recent elections, or things are just returning to "normal".
What I mean by this is that the NDP was for the first time the 2nd biggest party and the Greens also did very well.
But when I was looking at the most recent polls, Trudeau, if he became the leader would be able to win the federal elections, by getting more than half the voters who went with the NDP in 2011.
Are these people simply "returning home"?
Has the NDP lost some of its appeal due to its leader's death?
Has the NDP done a bad job in the House?
Also what about the Greens?  Why are they losing voters to Trudeau?
Why is Trudeau so popular?  Is it his good looks, his father or something I am not aware of?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #504 on: November 23, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »

The same people who were attracted to Layton's charisma are also attracted to Trudeau's. There is a large percentage of people who are on the non ideological-left that can switch between both parties.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #505 on: November 24, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

That may be so, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that Layton and Justin Trudeau are/were of equal intellectual calibre.

When Jack was 30 he was a faculty member at Ryerson University.  Justin had a very thin resume at 35, he was a substitute drama teacher with no real accomplishments whatsoever except having a famous father.   His father of course was one of Quebec's leading intellectuals long before that.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #506 on: November 25, 2012, 07:52:19 AM »

That may be so, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that Layton and Justin Trudeau are/were of equal intellectual calibre.

When Jack was 30 he was a faculty member at Ryerson University.  Justin had a very thin resume at 35, he was a substitute drama teacher with no real accomplishments whatsoever except having a famous father.   His father of course was one of Quebec's leading intellectuals long before that.

True, but the sort of people hatman is talking about don't really care about intellectual bona fides.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #507 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:58 AM »

There's also the fact that Jack Layton was actually an honourable man and Trudeau is a grade-A snob/opportunist.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #508 on: November 26, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »

So is the NDP expected to lose many of its voters because of Layton's death?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #509 on: November 26, 2012, 01:46:16 AM »

I'm not the biggest follower of Canadian politics (probably should be, considering I'm a Canadian Tongue), but I don't think Jack's death is totally to blame. Had Bob Rae decided to seek the Liberal leadership, Trudeau probably would've waited and a lot of those NDP seats would've been more secure. Trudeau as leader will probably create a mindless bandwagon effect that should do a lot to equalize the standing of the Liberals and NDP.

That said, it's entirely possible that people will really dislike Justin when they see what he's actually about. All you have to do is listen to the guy speak to know he's totally full of shit. Much like how the first presidential debate showed people that Mitt was a viable alternative, the Candian debates could actually show people that Justin isn't the man they think he is.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #510 on: November 26, 2012, 08:16:57 AM »

Trudeau is one gaffe away from being a flavour of the month. But, he needs to make that gaffe...
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #511 on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 12:10:58 PM by RogueBeaver »

Joyce Murray is in, she's giving a presser right now.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/national/Joyce+Murray+enters+federal+Liberal+leadership+race/7610591/story.html

She supports a carbon tax, a new electoral system and ABC cooperation.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Joyce+Murray+joins+Liberal+leadership+calls+cooperation/7610636/story.html
DL
Canada

« Reply #512 on: November 26, 2012, 01:08:53 PM »

So Joyce Murray - formerly a cabinet minister in Gordon Campbell's rabidly rightwing "BC Liberal" government - is coming out for cooperation on the left to defeat Harper. I guess she has experience with "cooperation", as a BC Liberal she was a powerful cabinet minister for a party that was created as a "unite the right" coalition to keep the NDP out of power.

What a hypocrit!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #513 on: November 27, 2012, 10:01:09 PM »

I don't know much about Canadian politics, but I was wondering whether something happened after the most recent elections, or things are just returning to "normal".
What I mean by this is that the NDP was for the first time the 2nd biggest party and the Greens also did very well.
But when I was looking at the most recent polls, Trudeau, if he became the leader would be able to win the federal elections, by getting more than half the voters who went with the NDP in 2011.
Are these people simply "returning home"?
Has the NDP lost some of its appeal due to its leader's death?
Has the NDP done a bad job in the House?
Also what about the Greens?  Why are they losing voters to Trudeau?
Why is Trudeau so popular?  Is it his good looks, his father or something I am not aware of?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated!

The Greens did mediocre in the last election. They won their first seat, but their vote share decreased substantially.

To explain the NDP/Liberal phenomenon, there is a large portion of the electorate who are anti-Harper voters who don't have any party loyalty. These people would be safe Democrats in America, but since we have multiple left leaning parties they have to choose one. They will just vote for whichever left leaning party looks like a winner. The combination of the NDP losing their leader and a charismatic Liberal leader in-waiting is causing some of those generic lefties to shift NDP.

Our Greens are much more right wing than normal Greens (I could see myself voting for them if the Conservatives bugged me enough). While most Greens serve as a hard left party, our Greens are slightly left of centre, and around the same spot as the Liberals and let's their supporters easily shift between the two.

Trudeau is popular because he's pretty, charismatic, and his last name is Trudeau. This may not last though. Much as I hated his Dad, I had a grudging respect for him. Justin strikes me as an airhead.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #514 on: November 27, 2012, 10:13:58 PM »

So Garneau's in tomorrow morning, no leaks about what his platform will be. We know he's on the party right- indeed apparently had PC sympathies in the '80s. Murray might be doing a backflip from her Victorian days to grab ideological left-Liberals disappointed in Trudeau's stances on trade/energy.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #515 on: November 28, 2012, 09:48:41 AM »

Garneau is in, the field is complete.

http://o.canada.com/2012/11/28/garneau-enters-liberal-race-pledging-to-focus-on-economy/
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #516 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »

No MP's with an axe to grind willing to run?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #517 on: November 28, 2012, 02:52:47 PM »

Who were you thinking of?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #518 on: November 28, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »

David Orchard! Yeah I know he's not an MP, but I figured some fringe guy has to join the race right?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #519 on: November 28, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »

The debates should be interesting... if the stage isn't too crowded with people other than Coyne and the 4 MPs.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #520 on: November 28, 2012, 05:19:35 PM »

I'm guessing the campaigns have taken note of this and are adjusting accordingly, but the method of selecting a winner for this is pretty wacky. It's basically the U.S. electoral college if all 50 states had an equal number of votes. Any candidate who can rack up victories in rural/exurban ridings and not get slaughtered in suburban/urban ones has a pretty good chance of victory. A vote coming from rural Alberta, or any riding with very few LPC supporters, is worth significantly more than a vote from Toronto or Montreal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #521 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:14 PM »

The debates should be interesting... if the stage isn't too crowded with people other than Coyne and the 4 MPs.

I think we'll be ok. It's not like all of them could raise the 75k entrance fee.

I'm guessing the campaigns have taken note of this and are adjusting accordingly, but the method of selecting a winner for this is pretty wacky. It's basically the U.S. electoral college if all 50 states had an equal number of votes. Any candidate who can rack up victories in rural/exurban ridings and not get slaughtered in suburban/urban ones has a pretty good chance of victory. A vote coming from rural Alberta, or any riding with very few LPC supporters, is worth significantly more than a vote from Toronto or Montreal.

That's the Conservative's system IIRC.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #522 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:30 PM »

Here are the rules if anyone else wants to read them: http://www.liberal.ca/leadership-2013/faq/

It also means that any sort of national polling is pretty worthless unless one candidate has a massive lead in April.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #523 on: November 28, 2012, 06:50:44 PM »

So basically, the US Senate?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #524 on: November 28, 2012, 06:52:52 PM »

As I always say: best logistician wins the war. Garneau's campaign is being managed by Andy Mitchell, BTW.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26 27  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies