Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 84118 times)
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« on: September 07, 2012, 04:04:08 PM »

Who exactly does JT appeal to?   The Liberals need to win back the "blue Liberals" who defected big time post-Martin.  People like Manley and McKenna who would be more appealing have been out of politics for too long and are far too happy making millions in the private sector.  JT in contrast comes as very flaky and I imagine if he tries to say "I'm socially progressive but unlike the NDP I'm fiscally responsible" it will impress nobody.  Mulcair has essentially turned the NDP into a big-tent progressive party (and less of a traditional social democratic party) and is a major threat to the PET/Chretien wing; being the far bigger party also robs the Liberals of their old argument for strategic voting "we're big and they're small."

At least Deborah Coyne has presented serious proposals and seems like the kind of person who could appeal to the "too educated to vote Tory, too bourgeois to vote NDP" demographic (if only she had ever been elected to anything!)

The fact that this looks like a coronation for Justin does not look good for the LPC.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 02:05:32 PM »

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/09/27/with-justin-trudeau-as-their-leader-liberals-could-easily-win-federal-election-exclusive-poll/

According to this poll, the Liberal fantasy that the "Orange Wave" is a blip and Canadians will drop the NDP like a hot potato to vote for Justin is true and return to their "natural party of government" is true!
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:26:05 PM »

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/09/28/kelly-mcparland-liberals-transform-themselves-into-the-lindsay-lohan-party/

You must be logged in to read this quote.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »

I don't think Martha Hall Findlay will be that formidable, given that she was defeated in Willowdale.  Garneau will be the main challenger.  The Astronaut vs. The Dilettante. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 11:35:31 PM »

In a lot of ways Garneau strikes me as a Ken Dryden type.   Nobody would doubt they are very competent and accomplished people, but they are very awkward politicians.  
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

Quite a bit.  I guess the proposed Westmount-NDG ("Wilder-Penfield!") would be more like the proposed St. Paul's though.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »

The Liberals won elections under Chretien/Martin by being perceived as sound economic managers among voters in the suburbs.  Garneau seems more likely to exude this sort of competence than Trudeau which is an advantage he would have facing the general electorate. 

King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »

That may be so, but I don't want anyone to get the impression that Layton and Justin Trudeau are/were of equal intellectual calibre.

When Jack was 30 he was a faculty member at Ryerson University.  Justin had a very thin resume at 35, he was a substitute drama teacher with no real accomplishments whatsoever except having a famous father.   His father of course was one of Quebec's leading intellectuals long before that.
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 12:21:19 AM »

Justin is such a bad actor:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp_O3liJpu8
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »

You can see one of the journalists try to hide her laughter at 1:10 and another says "Oh come on!" when JT is done. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2013, 12:47:06 AM »

Garneau strikes me as another Ken Dryden. 

It seems to me that MHF seems to be doing pretty well in the debates and may be squeezing out Garneau in terms of carrying the flag of "blue Liberalism."
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 06:51:01 PM »

As much as I'm not a fan of JT, I have to say his candour and admission that he's extremely fortunate comes across well.   Still the name is a lot more valuable than the $1 million he inherited.  No way he would earn that much in speaking fees if he didn't have a famous name. 
King of Kensington
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2013, 10:41:51 PM »

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=866669&playlistId=1.1159734&binId=1.810401&playlistPageNum=1

Wow, if Justin can't handle MHF how is he going to take on Harper?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies