Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:43:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Canadian Liberal Leadership Election 2013  (Read 84284 times)
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix
E: 6.06, S: -5.74

« on: July 31, 2012, 06:54:33 AM »

If Trudeau is serious about being pm then the next election should definitely be sat out. The way things are headed point towards a showdown between NDP and PC. Even more so with the ongoing debates over northern gateway and the NDP poised to take back BC provincially.

The liberals should coalesce around some well-liked policies (balanced budgets, decreased military spending, to name a couple), and focus on an improved national image and winning a few more seats. Forget winning the whole thing, just show some genuine efforts at sound policy and legitimate governing. Then, after the next cycle, and almost guaranteed incompetence by whoever is governing, the liberals could go for their star candidate, and the win.

I also feel compelled to say I don't think Trudeau is necessarily the right pick either, as one absolutely cannot discount the hatred for his name in AB and SK. Although seemingly unnecessary for the win (to court the prairies that is) the liberals must eat into the core of PC support as well as sway those who are eagerly voting NDP now, but may become disheartened later on. I still remember the days when a liberal represented my old Edmonton riding, it's not out of reach. Quebec remains a wild card and to hedge bets on a Trudeau sweep of QC seems farfetched. The liberals desperately need to expand beyond their small contingency from the maritimes, the gta, Montreal and Vancouver. I hate to sound like the westerner I am, but a pick like Redford in 5-7 years could revitalize the party in the prairies as well as in the suburbs, and her consistent calls for cooperation and national consensus seem to be setting the stage for a federal run.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »

Ugh this will be a crowning ceremony not a leadership race. The polls showing a revived liberal party under Trudeau are only inflating this balloon. Generational politics indeed, as at uni most are open if not outright supportive of Justin. And keep in mind I go to a university where conservative student groups outnumber liberal/leftist ones. It's good politics, taking the hope n change message to the youth, even if it is hollow sounding.

If his last name wasn't Trudeau, he wouldn't have been a serious contender to be the Liberal candidate in his riding much less their leader.

This. Nailed it.
Orion0
Rookie
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 04:17:39 PM »

Trudeau said this morning that the gun registry, so far as he's concerned, is dead.
Wow, that's the first non aggravating quip I've ever heard from him... unless he tossed back his hair, then it's still aggravating.

For craps and giggles, Trudeau has a wonderful YouTube interview where he defends the long gun registry, and the great numbers of lives it has saved. Viewable over here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2pJVNcjuzY

And just in case that wasn't enough to decry his blatant hypocrisy and opportunism, here's a tweet from Justin himself, oh how I wish he would just go away. https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/131337935911010304
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies