Road Trip 2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:54:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Road Trip 2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Road Trip 2011  (Read 2357 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2011, 01:08:09 AM »

The agricultural inspectors at the borders never cease to surprise visitors from out-of-state. It can be quite amusing.

One other stop in Napa was unrelated to wine. Geysers figured into our Yellowstone stop, and we saw a place marked as Old Faithful of California in Napa, so we stopped. Perhaps it would have been better to see the CA offering before the WY landmark. I'm not saying that the CA geyser was bad; it's just hard for anything to compare to the immense quantity of water spraying up at Yellowstone. The CA geyser also had a carnival sideshow feeling, with a pen including four-horned sheep and fainting goats.

I've lived here my entire life and I've never heard of such a place, if that means anything.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2011, 09:58:23 AM »

The agricultural inspectors at the borders never cease to surprise visitors from out-of-state. It can be quite amusing.

But why would they have no controls at either entry point from NV to South Lake Tahoe, but have a stop at the much more sparsely used US 395?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2011, 04:42:05 PM »

But why would they have no controls at either entry point from NV to South Lake Tahoe, but have a stop at the much more sparsely used US 395?

I'm not sure, but I know that the stations are always some distance from the state border. Perhaps with South Lake Tahoe right on the border they simply don't bother.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2011, 11:36:48 PM »

Day 12. The only sight seeing was to catch some of Salt Lake City and the Great Salt lake in the daytime. There's a waterfowl refuge about 10 miles north of SLC where one can get a different view of the lake with extensive marshes.

After that it was time to make up some time from the rockhounding of day 11. We logged over 750 miles, making this the greatest distance covered any day of the trip. As night fell I headed into the heart of a classic severe prairie thunderstorm, complete with frequent lightning and hail. While in the storm we pulled into Kearney, NE for the night.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 02:01:20 AM »
« Edited: June 19, 2011, 02:02:51 AM by cinyc »

Because they don't want to inconvenience the folks who drive from South Lake Tahoe to Nevada to gamble or go to work every day, and a rogue sandwich isn't going to harm the minimal agriculture in the Lake Tahoe area.  Fruit flies could just fly the short distance from Nevada, anyway.

The agricultural inspection area on US-50 appears to be in the town of Meyers, just before the US-50/CA-89 split, about 10 miles from the state line. 

These things remind me of the outfield US Border posts miles away from the US-Mexican or Canadian border.   I can only imagine the spooked tourists who don't live in the border states panicking that they've somehow inadvertently driven into Mexico the first time they encounter one.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:08 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2011, 01:28:34 AM by muon2 »

Day 13. Final day. It would be a shame to take a long road trip and not meet up with at least one Forumite. So, in Omaha I stopped for coffee with dead0man.

After the coffee break I visited the neighborhood I lived in over 40 years ago. Then we took care of the Father's Day activities including a nice steak dinner.

Finally it was a run east down the interstate to get home. The final stats for the trip were 5547 miles in 10 states including 35 CDs.

Red are overnight stays; Blue are points of interest; Cyan are stops for food or gas; Green are counties traversed.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:45 AM »

Did I look that stoned in real life?  Sheesh.

I guess you found the old neighborhood?  Was your house still there?  No issues getting out of Council Tuckey/across the river?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 08:00:08 AM »

Thumbs up to forum get togethers! Smiley
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2011, 08:20:26 AM »

Thumbs up to forum get togethers! Smiley

Amen.  I hope muon or anyone else knows if they hit DaBurgh we'll get together for a chat and a beverage.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies