NY-09, Special Election Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:04:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 94632 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 10, 2011, 09:08:59 PM »

When was the last time a significant part of this had a GOP representative? It has obviously engulfed parts of several former districts as NY has lost a large number of seats. So like NY-23, it would be different for different parts of it.

redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #301 on: September 10, 2011, 09:13:33 PM »

When was the last time a significant part of this had a GOP representative? It has obviously engulfed parts of several former districts as NY has lost a large number of seats. So like NY-23, it would be different for different parts of it.

1923. The district also was represented by Geraldine Ferraro and Chuck Schumer before Weiner was elected.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #302 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:29 PM »

Seymour Halpern, perhaps?

Need to find the maps of the districts in 1970, but at the time it appears to be 'parts of Queens'.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #303 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:46 PM »

The district only dates from the 1992 redistricting. New York districts are apt to change a lot so you have to be careful about these things, but certainly parts of the Brooklyn portion have had a Democratic Congresscritter since Manny Celler gained what was then NY-10 in 1922 (so 1923). Probably; it's hard to be sure about that kind of thing. I would be amazed if there haven't been Republicans representing the Queens section of the district at much later dates.

Of course we have a map of NYC districts in the 1980s posted on this forum (here) so it should be possible to track incumbents back from that... maybe.
NY Jew

« Reply #304 on: September 10, 2011, 10:50:38 PM »

http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/home/Parents_and_Community/Community_Page/SRI/SNY_Poll/CD90911%20Crosstabs.pdf
many Jews who say Israel is the main reason for there vote, are really saying marriage redefinition but it wasn't a listed choice (and other doesn't accomplish anything, but voting for your second reason does) (look at 90% of the Orthodox Jews who are voting for Turner based on Israel also say in the same statement the marriage but they are to afraid to mention it straight up)
In addition the 6% of jews who say other I can almost guarantee that there biggest issue was marriage redefinition.

I am very concerned for you and the level at which you seem to obsess over gays getting married. Perhaps you could use a vacation?

He is gay.
figures a person who thinks anyone who is against this sacrilege is a bigot would also automatically jump to this conclusion.

If you want the reason here it is

here's a quote from Jewish tradition (which I follow and believe so if you want to understand where I;) God did not decree (happened way before the flood but ) the flood until man started writing marriage documents to other men.

notice there just was a hurricane in NY and my community had 3 deaths out of (I think) 4 deaths in the state.

Now assuming Jewish tradition is a given, logically how can I come to any other conclusion but to fight it strongly.

(What I wrote above is less then the cliff notes version of my position but it should suffice)
Capitan Zapp Brannigan
Addicted to Politics

« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2011, 10:54:16 PM »

http://www.siena.edu/uploadedfiles/home/Parents_and_Community/Community_Page/SRI/SNY_Poll/CD90911%20Crosstabs.pdf
many Jews who say Israel is the main reason for there vote, are really saying marriage redefinition but it wasn't a listed choice (and other doesn't accomplish anything, but voting for your second reason does) (look at 90% of the Orthodox Jews who are voting for Turner based on Israel also say in the same statement the marriage but they are to afraid to mention it straight up)
In addition the 6% of jews who say other I can almost guarantee that there biggest issue was marriage redefinition.

I am very concerned for you and the level at which you seem to obsess over gays getting married. Perhaps you could use a vacation?

He is gay.
figures a person who thinks anyone who is against this sacrilege is a bigot would also automatically jump to this conclusion.

here's a quote from Jewish tradition (which I follow and believe so if you want to understand where I;) God did not decree (happened way before the flood but ) the flood until man started writing marriage documents to other men.

notice there just was a hurricane in NY and my community had 3 deaths out of (I think) 4 deaths in the state.

Now assuming Jewish tradition is a given, logically how can I come to any other conclusion but to fight it strongly.

(What I wrote above is less then the cliff notes version of my position but it should suffice)
are you trolling us?
NY Jew

« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2011, 11:59:47 PM »

This "Dov Hikind" person seems like a real piece of work.

I think he is a survivor of the concentration camps in Germany.  Maybe I have that mixed up, but he is really hard wired.
he's a son of a Auschwitz survivor.
NY Jew

« Reply #307 on: September 11, 2011, 12:10:04 AM »

He is gay.

are you trolling us?

no but someone who accuses me of something that according to Judaism deserves the death penalty is trolling.

What I'm doing is defending myself for his foolish accusation.  (I didn't bring up my theology only as a defense to why I'm strong on a specific point which happens to be one of the biggest issues in the race this thread is about)

If I'm trolling so is both the person I'm responding to and the one he's responding to.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #308 on: September 11, 2011, 12:45:50 AM »

no but someone who accuses me of something that according to Judaism deserves the death penalty is trolling.

What I'm doing is defending myself for his foolish accusation.  (I didn't bring up my theology only as a defense to why I'm strong on a specific point which happens to be one of the biggest issues in the race this thread is about)

If I'm trolling so is both the person I'm responding to and the one he's responding to.

Fine, but why (on a social, not personal, level) do you care?

Related question: Did the Book of Ruth get deleted from the version of the Tanakh used by reactionary maniacs when I wasn't paying attention?
NY Jew

« Reply #309 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:23 AM »

Fine, but why (on a social, not personal, level) do you care?

Related question: Did the Book of Ruth get deleted from the version of the Tanakh used by reactionary maniacs when I wasn't paying attention?

I answered that because this type of legislation is one of the biggest fronts to god possible.
 (I can give many other reasons like kicking people out of their jobs as Town Clerks for not betraying their religion)

what does Rus have to do with anything?
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2011, 02:35:10 PM »

I answered that because this type of legislation is one of the biggest fronts to god possible.
 (I can give many other reasons like kicking people out of their jobs as Town Clerks for not betraying their religion)

It's not betraying anybody's religion to sign civil documents unless they lead to something objectively sinful happening. Discrimination on the basis of sex or gender is an example of something that's objectively sinful. It was sinful then and it is sinful now. The only differences are the information that we now have, and the material conditions that allow us to have it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It's so cute when people feign ignorance of what's going on in that book.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #311 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »

one that is ten times more Conservative then this one right now the reason the districts in NY look really weird is not just because of the voting rights act but because of the fact that they gerrymandered the jewish areas in southern Brooklyn to an extent that surpasses the deep south during Jimmy Crow.  Right now the Contiguous Orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn (I'm defining this as EDs that are over 50% Orthodox) have 6 congressional districts (8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (though I admit this is only a very small portion in this ED), 13th) and the Jewish neighborhood of Flatbush now has 5 Congressional districts (I looked around the country and I couldn't find any other neighborhood that even has 3 Congressional districts)

that's due to orthodox Jewish populations strong social Conservative positions and strong Israel support has been in many elections voting Republican ever since at least the 80's (right now there are EDs that can flip 90% either way depending on numerous factors) (Borough Park had a Contiguous area with 50,00 people that voted for McCain at over a 90% rate (though they decided to put this area in to Nadler's seat to dilute the Jewish vote))

Uh, Nadler's CD is easily among the top 10 CD's in % Jewish in the nation.

As for redistricting, Dems should not agree to eliminate NY-9 (if Turner wins) and a Democratic seat upstate. NY-9 under current boundaries is a Lean Dem CD at least, so Dems would be losing both CD's. Upstate can easily shore up Hochul and/or carve up one of the GOP CD's especially with Slaughter's CD overpacked (not for GOP gerry, but for Quinn's incumbency, but the point is the same).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #312 on: September 11, 2011, 02:47:44 PM »

NY Jew

« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2011, 02:55:11 PM »

It's not betraying anybody's religion to sign civil documents unless they lead to something objectively sinful happening. Discrimination on the basis of sex or gender is an example of something that's objectively sinful. It was sinful then and it is sinful now. The only differences are the information that we now have, and the material conditions that allow us to have it.
If your religion forbids it according to your religion it's sinfull it's sinful end of story.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2011, 02:57:09 PM »

So would it be a sin for a Mormon or Muslim to vote to do something like loosen restrictions on alcohol sales?

That's easily one of my favorite StarTrib editorial cartoons ever by the way, which is why I still remember it easily 8 years after publication.
NY Jew

« Reply #315 on: September 11, 2011, 02:57:20 PM »

[/quote]
site me a pasuk or be quit, you am haraetz rasha.

PS if you dont' understand that your interpretation of anything in the bible says is worthless anyway.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #316 on: September 11, 2011, 02:58:59 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 03:30:53 PM by JohnnyLongtorso »

It always amazes me how long people are willing to put up with one-note trolls.
NY Jew

« Reply #317 on: September 11, 2011, 03:01:37 PM »

one that is ten times more Conservative then this one right now the reason the districts in NY look really weird is not just because of the voting rights act but because of the fact that they gerrymandered the jewish areas in southern Brooklyn to an extent that surpasses the deep south during Jimmy Crow.  Right now the Contiguous Orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn (I'm defining this as EDs that are over 50% Orthodox) have 6 congressional districts (8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (though I admit this is only a very small portion in this ED), 13th) and the Jewish neighborhood of Flatbush now has 5 Congressional districts (I looked around the country and I couldn't find any other neighborhood that even has 3 Congressional districts)

that's due to orthodox Jewish populations strong social Conservative positions and strong Israel support has been in many elections voting Republican ever since at least the 80's (right now there are EDs that can flip 90% either way depending on numerous factors) (Borough Park had a Contiguous area with 50,00 people that voted for McCain at over a 90% rate (though they decided to put this area in to Nadler's seat to dilute the Jewish vote))

Uh, Nadler's CD is easily among the top 10 CD's in % Jewish in the nation.

As for redistricting, Dems should not agree to eliminate NY-9 (if Turner wins) and a Democratic seat upstate. NY-9 under current boundaries is a Lean Dem CD at least, so Dems would be losing both CD's. Upstate can easily shore up Hochul and/or carve up one of the GOP CD's especially with Slaughter's CD overpacked (not for GOP gerry, but for Quinn's incumbency, but the point is the same).

explain to me why the most Contiguous orthodox Jewish area in the world outside of Isreal (that is a little more then half the size of a CD) is divided in to 6 Congressional districts.

If this was a black area everyone would have screamed racism years ago.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #318 on: September 11, 2011, 03:07:26 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 03:10:55 PM by Nathan »

site me a pasuk or be quit, you am haraetz rasha.

PS if you dont' understand that your interpretation of anything in the bible says is worthless anyway.
[/quote]

''Am ha-aretz rasha' is kind of an absurd thing to call me, since I'm not Jewish and as such can't be 'am ha-aretz, unless you're using the term in a way I'm unfamiliar with--possible, I admit. And rasha is meaningless coming from you. If anybody is a rasha here it's the one who cares more about policing the way other Jews (and all goyim, for that matter) live their lives than about actually helping people. It would be slightly understandable if you were a reb, but I somehow doubt you are.

Pasuk: Ruth 1.16-17; 4.15; 4.17. I apologise if the chapter and verse divisions work differently in Jewish Bibles; if you need help you can search a Christian one online pretty easily (though I am sorry if you have to do that). I know what the conventional interpretations here are, and they're legitimate, but you can't deny that there are some questions raised there (or, if you do, you're hilarious).

That said, I do agree with you on the way New York City is redistricted. The Orthodox Jews are an obvious community of interest. Though, it needs to be said, while most Orthodox Jews I've met certainly agree with you on this substantively, they're not as creepily obsessive about it. This is because being an Orthodox Jew is a religion (among other things, like an ethnicity and a cultural identification), not a membership in some weird coterie of like-minded bigots.

ETA: You misspelled 'cite'.
Brittain33
brittain33
Atlas Star

« Reply #319 on: September 11, 2011, 03:08:33 PM »

That's not fair, he has two notes: marriage and gerrymandering.
NY Jew

« Reply #320 on: September 11, 2011, 03:10:35 PM »

That's easily one of my favorite StarTrib editorial cartoons ever by the way, which is why I still remember it easily 8 years after publication.

after seeing your so called proof
all I can think to say is what her decedent said
hevel havaliem amar koheles hevel havaliem hakol havel.
once again if you don't know what that means then your so called biblical scholarship is worse then any 8 year old yeshiva student.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #321 on: September 11, 2011, 03:10:53 PM »

Sigh...

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmith/0911/In_leaked_custody_filing_heedless_Weprin_dirty_politics_alleged.html?showall
NY Jew

« Reply #322 on: September 11, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »

So would it be a sin for a Mormon or Muslim to vote to do something like loosen restrictions on alcohol sales?

ask a mormon or muslim weather or not a non mormon or muslim can't drink to get your answer.
now if a persons religion forbids them to do anything to help,recognize, or participate in a so called wedding then that would be sinful.
(and you say I'm dumb)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #323 on: September 11, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »

Just a heads up:  Any more religious crap in this thread from now on will be split off and sent to the R&P board, and infraction points doled out along the way.  This thread is for discussing the NY-09 special election, not retarded shit about how the gheys brought Hurricane Irene to New York.
NY Jew

« Reply #324 on: September 11, 2011, 03:46:06 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 03:47:38 PM by NY Jew »

back to the point the fact that jews are upset with this vote weather or not we're all bigots will make Turner the winner of this election.
Ruben Diaz's endorsement will also help

PS: I didn't see the warning when started typing my previous comment.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 37  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies