NY-09, Special Election Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:29:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 95646 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: June 16, 2011, 04:43:17 PM »

Interesting tidbit about NY-9:

53.8% born in state
4.0% born in a different state
2.1% born abroad to American parents
40.1% foreign born

The bolded must be among the lowest in the country.

I agree that Dems should have no problem winning the special election. Foreign policy and anti-Obama sentiment was the only reason it was even that close.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 02:40:18 PM »

one that is ten times more Conservative then this one right now the reason the districts in NY look really weird is not just because of the voting rights act but because of the fact that they gerrymandered the jewish areas in southern Brooklyn to an extent that surpasses the deep south during Jimmy Crow.  Right now the Contiguous Orthodox Jewish areas in Brooklyn (I'm defining this as EDs that are over 50% Orthodox) have 6 congressional districts (8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (though I admit this is only a very small portion in this ED), 13th) and the Jewish neighborhood of Flatbush now has 5 Congressional districts (I looked around the country and I couldn't find any other neighborhood that even has 3 Congressional districts)

that's due to orthodox Jewish populations strong social Conservative positions and strong Israel support has been in many elections voting Republican ever since at least the 80's (right now there are EDs that can flip 90% either way depending on numerous factors) (Borough Park had a Contiguous area with 50,00 people that voted for McCain at over a 90% rate (though they decided to put this area in to Nadler's seat to dilute the Jewish vote))

Uh, Nadler's CD is easily among the top 10 CD's in % Jewish in the nation.

As for redistricting, Dems should not agree to eliminate NY-9 (if Turner wins) and a Democratic seat upstate. NY-9 under current boundaries is a Lean Dem CD at least, so Dems would be losing both CD's. Upstate can easily shore up Hochul and/or carve up one of the GOP CD's especially with Slaughter's CD overpacked (not for GOP gerry, but for Quinn's incumbency, but the point is the same).
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:54 PM »

Has Turner even run as a moderate, or at least less right-wing than the overall GOP? It would be even more disappointing to lose this if he hasn't.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »

This is certainly disappointing, but I wouldn't read too much into it. NY-9 is a unique district.

What were the final results by borough?
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »

from link:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Not surprising, and should show that the Dems aren't in trouble with Jews in general.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies