NY-09, Special Election Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:29:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NY-09, Special Election Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-09, Special Election Thread  (Read 95579 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« on: September 02, 2011, 03:04:21 PM »

Obama is a big reason why Weprin's ship is sinking here.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 04:33:22 PM »

I was phonebanking for Weprin for two hours today. We definitely aren't winning this election.

Explain.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 10:32:20 PM »
« Edited: September 11, 2011, 10:36:13 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

I've always been of the opinion that we were in trouble here because of Obama rather than Weprin's weaknesses as a candidate and his local selection, this poll confirms that.  Weprin has never been unpopular in the polls.

I don't understand what Turner has done to receive those numbers though, he strikes me as an awful, awful candidate who should be garnering no support from swing voters (his stances on taxes, medicare and social security should not be playing well here). His attacks against Weprin using the Mosque and 9/11 while condemning the DCCC for using a plane in their ad show his campaign's character. if people eat that pile of fecal matter up, this country is doomed.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:24:56 PM »

Turner 53%
Weprin 46%
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 11:00:23 PM »

Whether or not the Democrats do well in special elections is inconsequential to me at this point tbh. This result is disappointing to me because of the morally reprehensible way Turner campaigned, not because he's a "pubbie".
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 11:05:43 PM »

Yeah, clearly it's all Obama's fault that the awful economy has caused voters to sour on him.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 11:07:13 PM »

ITT: Republicans getting ahead of themselves. Remember this?

TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »

Yeah, didn't I totally call this several pages ago. Yeah, great choice for spin. "We won a seat...a few months ago!"

The point, you have missed it.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 11:17:36 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 11:19:42 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

Yeah, didn't I totally call this several pages ago. Yeah, great choice for spin. "We won a seat...a few months ago!"

The point, you have missed it.

You won a seat thanks, in large part, due to a fake Tea Party candidate taking a good chunk of the vote. Unfortunately for you, the SWP candidate in NY 9 got a whopping...eh...0% of the vote.

The fake Tea Party candidate largely won his support from disaffected working class independents and Democrats who hated Corwin. If they were pushed, most of them wouldn't have voted and they would have likely broken for Hochul. Remember that Davis based most of his candidacy off of protectionism, and protecting SS/Medicare.

The point being that Republicans are not winning any of these races based off of their strengths but because the opposition party is less popular. Perry and Romney are still very unpopular, the GOP is still hated, most Republican Governors are still hated etc. This all with a an unpopular Democratic President. In otherwords, you guys have managed to cock it up frequently even with a great situation being served up to you on a silver platter. Once a President Perry or Romney is in office, the winds will shift hard. There is nothing to gloat about here. NY-26 was different because it proved that the Paul Ryan plan was as popular as child molestation and demolished any idea of Republicans triumphantly running on it. There was a clear effect on policy because of it. NY-9 will have no such blowback. I do hope that it makes Democratic strategists wake up and pay close attention to the white working class.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 11:28:13 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2011, 11:31:27 PM by TheDeadFlagBlues »

the GOP is still hated, most Republican Governors are still hated etc. This all with a an unpopular Democratic President. In otherwords, you guys have managed to cock it up frequently even with a great situation being served up to you on a silver platter. Once a President Perry or Romney is in office, the winds will shift hard.

So...your point is that Perry or Romney wouldn't win...then say that once they do win, they'll suffer. Got it. People still take you seriously around here?

You're being willfully obtuse and aren't even responding to my main arguments. Welcome to the Ignore list where you belong!
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:29 PM »

The Clark County portion of NV-2 voted for Obama by 54.8% to 43.5% and is the part of Clark County that shifted hardest towards Obama from Kerry due the housing bubble collapsing and in reality is much weaker for the Democrats than those numbers suggest.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 11:41:09 PM »

Did none of you read that article that Lunar posted that described how poorly Democrats did among Jews in Brooklyn in 2010? This kind of a shift was bound to happen here at some point, the national climate and a lackluster campaign just brought it to the forefront quicker.

Keep in my mind that I've been arguing on DKE that the defeats in NV-2 and NY-9 are largely due to Obama's unpopularity and the poor economy with attention being deflected away from entitlements.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies