Antillian Parliament Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:11:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games
  Mock Parliament (Moderators: Hash, Dereich)
  Antillian Parliament Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Antillian Parliament Thread  (Read 13282 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: June 11, 2011, 05:57:40 PM »

x Anders MacPherson
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 07:11:41 AM »

SPEAKER

Order!

Since there are MPs sitting currently, the floor is open. Motions to recognize?

Gentlemen.

As you are no doubt aware, the Pitfarris Firth, seperating Pitfarris from Antilla has been unbridgeable for centuries. As a frequent user of the ferry service across the Firth, I can attest to it's reliabilty. However, recent proposals have surfaced which I believe the Parliament should consider. After surveying and three years of pre-planning, it has been estimated that it is feasable to link the two islands by an undersea combined road and rail tunnel. Let me assure you, that the Pitfarris National Party is not ideologically opposed. We believe that Pitfarris and Antilla should have close co-operation, preferrably as two equal nations. Such a link would facillitate development and increase communication.

There are of course issues that concern us. As the Firth has been unbridgable for centuries, it has been thanks to ferrymen, many of them Farrian that the two islands have been connected at all times of the year. The Union of Shipbuilders and Ferrymen appear to be opposed to such moves; it would no doubt hinder if not kill off the the ferries. Ironically, their employers the ferry companies are also opposed to a tunnel.

I would ask the Parliament to consider a response.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:10:20 AM »

Speaking: Mr Anders MacPherson. NOTE: Probably best to put your characters name before each post

Mr De Bruijne, will you recognise, that the language used in defense of 'integration' will not be warmly welcomed by members from this part of the chamber. This proposal has nothing to do with nationalism or unionism. It is purely a measure to increase communication and improve transportation and aid the peoples of both Pitfarris and Antillia.

Mr De Wilde, I share your ecological concerns. Indeed, the fact that a tunnel is being proposed as the preferred is a reflection of these concerns, Indeed, it may be preferable to restrict the tunnel to rail only, similar to the Channel Tunnel connecting England, Scotland and Wales to continental Europe. This may make the ferry an attractive option for motorists and make continued services viable.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:49:19 AM »

Mr Anders Macpherson

I am impressed with Mr Roberts' recall. He is correct that many within my party were opposed to the proposals of the Wansbeck government. I am also aware that some members may still be opposed to such a venture today. However, the Wansbeck proposals focused almost exclusively on 'plugging' Pitfarris to the heart of Antillia and (hessitates) the government even considered creating a terminus for the rail link just inside Pitfarris, necessitating passengers to change at the terminus for overland services to Auldburgh. Little consideration was given to connecting the link with Auldburgh or improving transport within Pitfarris. Pitfarris will not be a deadend to what appeared to be an exclusively Antillian service. I may remind those in the chamber that as strong a supporter of the tunnel as I am, unless Pitfarris taxpayers get a good deal, then...(hessitates) we will not be prepared to support it. The service must terminate at Auldburgh.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 07:43:27 AM »

Mr Anders MacPherson

Gentlemen, may I ask you to stay on track. No pun intended.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 07:48:48 AM »

Mr Anders MacPherson, rising

Does Mr Roberts feel his party can take on the ferrymens unions who will undoubtedly be opposed to this plan?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 07:44:14 AM »

I think the issue may be the time of year.

So...

How about we start setting up those Parliamentary Committees?

Whoever opens the thread for one chairs it Wink

Seriously, that's probably the best way to do it. I'm about to open up Culture (I'd a feeling you might want to do Welfare or Health and Education) Everyone can sign in once the thread has started. We can also lay out some of the problems we may face that will require addressing.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 07:22:56 AM »

Sad
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 09:19:53 AM »

I did send a message round a couple of weeks back, suggesting that it was time to get back to work.

Of course the last attempt at Town Hall ended like this as well; everything working very well, until, suddenly...

In that case someone is going to have to seize power...
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies