Should Anthony Weiner resign? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:20:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Should Anthony Weiner resign? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Should Anthony Weiner resign?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Should Anthony Weiner resign?  (Read 8407 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« on: June 10, 2011, 10:07:36 PM »

This is such a personal decision on so many levels, that to express an opinion as to what you would do in Weiner's shoes, which is really the only relevant question here, is rather inane to my mind.  Folks outside of a clan opining as to what should happen within, is rarely of much value. The complexity of inter personal relationships, and what we don't know, and what those within really don't know, suggests just butting out on a question like this.

Having said all of this, Weiner has basically destroyed his political career. Dumbs don't last long in the NYC orbit, and Weiner has acted as the dunce primus inter pares here.

He's done - politically.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2011, 01:24:08 PM »

The Republican 2012ers are all fishing for Nikki Haley's endorsement though she's never offered a good explanation for evidence of her affair.  And unlike Weiner, she promised to resign if caught.

I don't think his lying about sexual behavior is a big deal. Why should people who don't live in NY-9 say who reps them?  Not that NY-9 will still be a district next congress. Hard to imagine he won't get drawn out, no?

You are not at least a tad bit concerned that if a chap lies for what he views as personal gain on what matter, that it might spill over into others?  And just why politicians when it comes to sexual matters, don't just say no comment, and I won't be commenting, and thanks for your interest, has always puzzled me. Why?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »

And just why politicians when it comes to sexual matters, don't just say no comment, and I won't be commenting, and thanks for your interest, has always puzzled me. Why?

Because most people would take that "no comment" to actually mean "yes, I did it", replying with a "no comment" would add fuel to the media fire.  Not to mention, most politicians are brazen enough to think they can just lie about such things and get away with it.

It's better than lying, and in my opinion, is nobody's business, unless a crime was committed.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2011, 02:04:26 PM »

No, I am not talking about resigning. Whether Weiner chooses to resign is a personal matter to him, and I am not urging that he resign. The ball is and should remain solely in his court on that decision. What I am talking about is that such behavior causes me to lose confidence in such a politician. If their word is not good, they are pretty useless if not positively damaging to the health of the polity typically, in my experience and opinion.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies