Mitt Romney is going to be the next president*
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:24:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney is going to be the next president*
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mitt Romney is going to be the next president*  (Read 5528 times)
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 13, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EP2GsRzROF8&feature=youtu.be

*unless the GOP coalesces around Perry or Pawlenty
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 12:23:13 PM »

The part where all their voices blended together near the end was a bit unsettling.

A decent ad. I suppose it tugs on the heartstrings. Annoyed me(Seems a bit condescending) but for people who have lost their job and are struggling to support their family, perhaps it will have some appeal. 
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 12:25:09 PM »

It's a completely emotional advertisement. Romney is criticizing a metaphor by taking it seriously. People are going to see through that...regardless, does anyone want to see their resumes? Maybe their resume sucks or they interview badly...maybe there's even a few convicted felons in there...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 12:26:45 PM »

It's good to know that a fabulously wealthy ultra-capitalist born with a silver spoon in his mouth cares so much about the plight of the unemployed. Pfft.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »

With a bit more blood and gore it could very well be the trailer for the next Texas Chainsaw Massacre or Hills Have Eyes sequel.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 01:03:42 PM »

Attabattababta is all I heard toward the end.  It was also 41 seconds too long.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 01:55:00 PM »

But my educated guess is that at some point Obama will run ads as well.  And can mention that Obama inherited the worst economic disaster in over half a century, that for the past year and a half under Obama, millions of Americans have found jobs, and that yes, sometimes people use metaphors and it's disingenuous to feign outrage and say someone who uses metaphors doesn't care about people. Especially when the person making the accusation, downsized companies, costing many people jobs.  But I agree it's possible Romney is next president.
milhouse24
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:16:54 PM »

I think the candidate with the best Marketing campaign wins. 

Right now, Romney has the best message, and its a very strong message of Jobs and the Economy, and his experience working in the private sector and building small and large businesses. 

I think that is something that Obama doesn't get having never worked in the private sector.  He's taking a very academic view and detached view of helping small businesses.  The Health Care plan may or may not work, but its uncertainty and tax burden is really clouding the financial forecasts and confidence that business leaders need to make for the next 3-5 years. 

Bubbles are built on public confidence and bank loans.  If business leaders think their taxes are going to go up, they won't hire anyone else, plain and simple, that is why unemployment is high, no one wants to open their wallets to do the hiring. 
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 03:43:05 PM »

I can think of two candidates who have a better message than Romney.
Ron Paul and Herman Can.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 03:44:03 PM »

Notice how Jason has $150,000 worth of student debt and 2 kids?  

Dude, how do you rack up 150K in student debt?  That's like five years tuition and board at Harvard.  
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 03:48:22 PM »

Dude, how do you rack up 150K in student debt?  That's like five years tuition and board at Harvard.  

For a guy of that age, yeah.

At today's tuition prices that's more like 3 years at the sticker price.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »

I remain far from convinced.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:12:19 PM »

But my educated guess is that at some point Obama will run ads as well.  And can mention that Obama inherited the worst economic disaster in over half a century, that for the past year and a half under Obama, millions of Americans have found jobs, and that yes, sometimes people use metaphors and it's disingenuous to feign outrage and say someone who uses metaphors doesn't care about people. Especially when the person making the accusation, downsized companies, costing many people jobs.  But I agree it's possible Romney is next president.

Yes but if Obama tries to use Bush, it's a nail in the coffin for his campaign. You cannot blame the President last elected 8 years after the current election.
GLPman
United States

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

I actually liked the ad. It's not great, but I think it addressed a good point. At the very least, it does a good job of accomplishing its primary objective: creating doubt about Obama's economic policies.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 04:29:15 PM »

Dude, how do you rack up 150K in student debt?  That's like five years tuition and board at Harvard. 

Less than three years tuition and board at the university I currently attend. College is expensive.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2011, 04:39:50 PM »

That was pretty annoying with the repetition. And what is Mitt trying to say? Obama hasn't magically fixed the economy and ended unemployment? So if Mitt gets elected unemployment will hit 0%? That's kind of the point he's trying to make.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2011, 04:43:37 PM »

That was pretty annoying with the repetition. And what is Mitt trying to say? Obama hasn't magically fixed the economy and ended unemployment? So if Mitt gets elected unemployment will hit 0%? That's kind of the point he's trying to make.

I think his point is that unemployment should be going down, not up.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:03 PM »

The Democrats are making a lot of logical arguments in this thread against this ad (all of which are true and I agree with 100%), but none of these are winning general election campaign slogans. "We lost millions of jobs but most of those were Bush's fault" or "Unemployment could have been 11%!" are not going to defeat a competent, not very crazy Republican nominee (luckily the GOP only has one of those). Obama does have his superior organization and demographics on his side, but if Romney somehow wins the nomination this is going to be a very hard attack to refute.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2011, 04:54:18 PM »

The movie trailer ads were kinda fun at first, but I'm quickly growing tired of them.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2011, 04:57:58 PM »

If you go to an out-of-state school or private school, without any grants or scholarships, it can easily be upwards of $30k/year. Professional graduate schools (law school, medical school, etc) are crazy expensive too.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:32 PM »

It is going down: http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met_y=unemployment_rate&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »

It is going down: http://www.google.com/publicdata?ds=usunemployment&met_y=unemployment_rate&tdim=true&dl=en&hl=en&q=unemployment+rate

Unemployment in May was 9.1%. That chart is wrong.
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2011, 07:26:35 PM »

If Mitt Romney does in fact become the next President, as the title of this thread states, I can see half the members on this board either fleeing the country in a blind panic or joining a guerrilla movement to overthrow the Presidency.

Smiley   
HST1948

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »

I'm going to medical school and I have calculated that I will graduate with about $394,800 in debt. 
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »

Interesting use of the fat at this beginning.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies