2011 Canadian election maps
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:29:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61383 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 03:57:41 PM »

Nipissing-Timiskaming

Analysis on my blog: http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com/2011/07/2011-federal-election-poll-maps.html
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2011, 05:11:19 PM »

I need to stop making fun of North Bay then. Too bad, considering that the only person I know from North Bay is a daily comedy tour.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2011, 08:59:43 PM »

I need to stop making fun of North Bay then. Too bad, considering that the only person I know from North Bay is a daily comedy tour.

Well, their current and last mayors were Tories. And they were the city to bring us Mike Harris. So, it's not the best city politically. I reckon it'll be more blue in the provincial election.

While North Bay has a beautiful waterfront, and some nice bike trails, it's pretty "working class" - that is poor, and has no industry, and anyone with any prospects in life (i.e. all of my aunts and uncles) move out of the city.
DL
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2011, 10:11:50 PM »

North Bay is one place in northern Ontario that has absolutely no history of NDP support. ThunderBay, Sudbury, Timmins, the Soo have all gone NDP federally and provincially quite regularly, but North Bay never does and in fact the NDP is almost always a distant third there. is there any theory or reason as to why this is the case?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2011, 10:27:02 PM »

To me, North Bay is borderline on being in Northern Ontario. It doesn't politically behave like Northern Ontario, and, I went there a few times and it doesn't feel like Abitibi/North-Eastern Ontario.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2011, 10:49:57 PM »

North Bay is one place in northern Ontario that has absolutely no history of NDP support. ThunderBay, Sudbury, Timmins, the Soo have all gone NDP federally and provincially quite regularly, but North Bay never does and in fact the NDP is almost always a distant third there. is there any theory or reason as to why this is the case?

I've asked my Dad this (my Dad is from there) on a few occasions. I think he mentioned something about the rest of Northern Ontario having a tradition of mining, and miners were/are NDP voters. North Bay's main industry however was the railroads, and that's dead now.

Interestingly, both of my Dad's parents are/were NDP supporters (my Dad's not... it skipped a generation), and both lived in North Bay. Go figure.

Oh, and Nipissing does have an NDP history! It voted CCF provincially in 1943 Smiley
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »

I've asked my Dad this (my Dad is from there) on a few occasions. I think he mentioned something about the rest of Northern Ontario having a tradition of mining, and miners were/are NDP voters. North Bay's main industry however was the railroads, and that's dead now.

Interestingly, both of my Dad's parents are/were NDP supporters (my Dad's not... it skipped a generation), and both lived in North Bay. Go figure.

Oh, and Nipissing does have an NDP history! It voted CCF provincially in 1943 Smiley

The 40's were very good for the CCF in those areas, I suppose. The Quebec provincial CCF won the only seat of their history in 1940, in Rouyn-Noranda, which isn't so far of North Bay.

Note: The provincial TB-Akitokan will come after I finished the (probably all orange, so boring) map of the other Abitibi riding. Sorry to inflige you that, but I love my region.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2011, 11:42:52 PM »

The 40's were very good for the CCF in those areas, I suppose. The Quebec provincial CCF won the only seat of their history in 1940, in Rouyn-Noranda, which isn't so far of North Bay.

Note: The provincial TB-Akitokan will come after I finished the (probably all orange, so boring) map of the other Abitibi riding. Sorry to inflige you that, but I love my region.

No problem. Maps are desired, and welcome. Cheesy

As for the CCF, they actually topped a nation wide poll in 1943 iirc. They formed the official opposition in Ontario, 4 seats away from winning. The CCF swept all but one Northern Ontario seats. They even won Parry Sound. The lone liberal seat was Algoma-Manitoulin.
Interestingly, the CCF won most of their seats in what would be called traditional NDP territory. I guess somethings never change.
Shilly
United States

« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »

Toronto, as promised.

Right click for huge version.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2011, 02:26:54 PM »

That map is a thing of wonder.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2011, 02:30:35 PM »

Seconded.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »

Toronto, as promised.

Fantastic map, whats really exciting for the NewDemocrats is that they 1) finally won ridings that containted traditionally been strong (parkdale, dovercourt, york south, scarb SW), but 2) won polls and made inroads in new areas (Scarb Rouge River... the NDP's young tamil candidate helped more than anything, York west and even Don Valley east). Those will all be targets come October
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »

Toronto, as promised.

Will you marry me?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2011, 03:31:24 PM »

I love Shilly maps.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2011, 03:37:48 PM »

I took the map and added the old city boundaries on to it.

They are better visible at zoom in.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »

I find it really interesting that the NDP vote drops like a rock once you hit the York-North York border, even within the same ridings; and the same for the Liberal vote in the Toronto-North York border (witnesses where the old city "humps" up in the middle of the map.

Scarborough's vote is chaotic and seems to be ethnic at it's base, which is rare as I can't think of other places in Canada that vote ethnically outside of Montreal; and even then you'd have to consider the Quebecois an ethnicity, which I do not.

There is still a "tilted box" that goes from the Toronto Island to that huge island of Red in the northwest corner of the city. This follows a few rail lines up there. This has always, historically, been the hotbed of Liberal/NDP support, and always been opposed to voting Conservative for any period of time. I've always been curious exactly what makes this part of the city so... different. Old toronto poll maps will confirm this trend.
Foucaulf
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »

Scarborough's vote is chaotic and seems to be ethnic at it's base, which is rare as I can't think of other places in Canada that vote ethnically outside of Montreal

Really? I always thought ethnic voting was rampant in Canada, or in British Columbia at least. Given that most immigrants stay within Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, one would assume the effect is only noticeable in those big three cities. But it's very real.

Interesting to see the clear-defined partisan boundaries of old Toronto melt away as one moves to Scarborough. There the swing is more uniform, something also seen in Etobicoke-Lakeshore and Don Valley East. That map will be studied for a long time.
DL
Canada

« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2011, 10:04:09 PM »

Now I'm drooling to see a similar map for Montreal!
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2011, 11:03:15 PM »

Excellent stuff. Analysis to come later.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2011, 11:21:56 PM »

That is excellent work, just exceptional! You've done a great job there, Shilly!

Meanwhile, remember this?

This morning I printed it out and put it side by side with Shilly's map for comparison. Amazing!
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2011, 11:50:32 PM »

Scarborough-Rouge River and Davenport weren't looking than they would go to the NPD 5 years later.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20:46 AM »

Daveport was always a possibility, but Rouge River came out of nowhere.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2011, 01:55:54 AM »

Wonderful. Montreal and Vancouver would be terrific also.
DL
Canada

« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2011, 08:05:05 AM »

Scar Rouge River has a huge Sri Lankan Tamil population? That whole community shifted almost en masse to the NDP from the Liberals after the Liberals decided to support the Sri Lankan government against the Tamils in the civil war.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #49 on: July 20, 2011, 08:27:54 AM »

Tamil candidate as well, also an open seat. But still amazing.

Scarborough-Rouge River and Davenport weren't looking than they would go to the NPD 5 years later.

Bit of an understatement regarding Scarborough-Rouge River, which was one of the safest seats for any party and looked totally impregnable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies