2011 Canadian election maps (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2011 Canadian election maps (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2011 Canadian election maps  (Read 61103 times)
Foucaulf
« on: July 19, 2011, 06:27:34 PM »

Scarborough's vote is chaotic and seems to be ethnic at it's base, which is rare as I can't think of other places in Canada that vote ethnically outside of Montreal

Really? I always thought ethnic voting was rampant in Canada, or in British Columbia at least. Given that most immigrants stay within Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver, one would assume the effect is only noticeable in those big three cities. But it's very real.

Interesting to see the clear-defined partisan boundaries of old Toronto melt away as one moves to Scarborough. There the swing is more uniform, something also seen in Etobicoke-Lakeshore and Don Valley East. That map will be studied for a long time.
Foucaulf
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »

Er, this is my first map:

The West End goes for the NDP while those who can afford apartments by the shore vote for the Conservatives. Nor do the Greens win a single poll, though that may be an error on my part. Quite a large number of polls were decided by 1 or 2-vote margins. The reason Fry won by 5% was advance polling.

I might make a map of the Lower Mainland.
Foucaulf
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »

It can't be too hard to automatically generate maps - all you need is to input the votes as values in a GIS and command it to colour a precinct depending on which value is the highest.

But, given there's already a map of Metro Vancouver available, would anyone want a map of Vancouver Island or the Fraser Valley first? It will definitely be easier to make.
Foucaulf
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2011, 12:17:11 AM »

Good to see you here, Krago. You don't need to replace any slashes with ampersands: all you need to do is remove the http:// protocol and the link is deemed invalid.

sites.google.com/site/krago124/maps/TrinitySpadinaS.png

The best part is that the link will work on its own in most browsers!

I am working on a slightly different version of the Lower Mainland map. Instead of a map of the poll winners, I'm tracking party swing from the 2008 election to this one. Below is an early draft that includes most of the City of Vancouver; versions for other parties are available in my gallery.

Foucaulf
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 12:38:04 AM »

Very good stuff, Foucaulf, but is there a reason why you didn't include Vancouver Kingsway?

The Conservative map is interesting, I wonder what's with the pink/red areas in Vancouver Centre?

I was tired of pasting stats! Eventually I'll upload a map with at least every riding north of Surrey and east of Maple Ridge, but I wanted to get a preliminary reaction.

Interestingly enough, the Tories weren't swept out of the West End like the Liberals. The reddest parts include Granville Island, Mount Pleasant and the periphery of the Downtown Eastside. The entire area around False Creek has shifted away - maybe a demographic change? On the other hand, Yaletown and Gastown is moving with the Tories. Not that surprising given that both neighbourhoods is going through a new burst of high-rise developments.
Foucaulf
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:55:59 AM »

Remember when I promised maps of the Lower Mainland based on party swing? You probably shouldn't, but I made them anyway.

Here is part 1, including all of Metro Vancouver north of the Fraser except for Pitt Meadows and Maple Ridge. I'm only showing the Tories' swing map here, but the rest are available on my profile.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies