How many Obama States will the GOP/Tea Party Alliance Target
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:15:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  How many Obama States will the GOP/Tea Party Alliance Target
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: How many Obama States will the GOP/Tea Party Alliance Target  (Read 3183 times)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2011, 10:07:25 AM »

I'm confident Indiana is going GOP but what other states do you think the GOP will target
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:19:29 AM »

They will target all the states Bush won in 2004 Obama won in 2008. NC, CO, FL, NV, IN, VA etc.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
« Edited: June 23, 2011, 03:09:37 PM by pbrower2a »

I'm confident Indiana is going GOP but what other states do you think the GOP will target

Everything but the District of Columbia.

Remember -- the Tea Party is nothing more than a front for the GOP, about like "Friends of the Soviet Union" was a front for the Communist party of the USA.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 11:07:05 AM »

I'd also throw NH and Maine as well. Possibly MN too.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 11:38:40 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

lol
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:29 AM »

Most likely:

Some of these states are only competetive with Romney (like NV & CO), if they nominate Bachmann you can forget these states ...
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 11:45:13 AM »

lol

I call it an alliance because they are not the same thing.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 02:00:30 PM »

lol

So should we call Democrats now the Democrat/Union/Proggressive alliance?
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 02:45:28 PM »

No. You can't tell them apart and haven't been able to in over a generation or 2.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:02:17 PM »

lol

You're right. Take out "Tea Party Alliance". It's going to be a GOP candidate that either is or isn't part of the Tea Party, not a combination of the GOP and the Tea Party.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 04:08:42 PM »

lol

You're right. Take out "Tea Party Alliance". It's going to be a GOP candidate that either is or isn't part of the Tea Party, not a combination of the GOP and the Tea Party.

Depends on the ticket.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 04:27:45 PM »

Most likely:

Some of these states are only competetive with Romney (like NV & CO), if they nominate Bachmann you can forget these states ...

This, plus New Mexico, and probably minus Minnesota (I wouldn't bother).
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 04:35:29 PM »

No. You can't tell them apart and haven't been able to in over a generation or 2.

And you can tell the Republicans and the Tea Party apart? Please teach me how, that seems like a neat superpower.
Heimdal
HenryH

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 04:44:29 PM »

If the political climate becomes really bad for the Democrats the GOP should target New Jersey, Maine, New Hampshire etc. New Hampshire isn't that much of a blue state, and I think George W. Bush came close to winning New Jersey in 2012. I think Romney would be a good fit for the independents in these states.

In a more neutral environment they should rather focus their time and energy on the more regular swing states, like Nevada, Colorado and Ohio.

I think Indiana and North Colorado will flipp back anyway, as long as Cain, Gingrich, Palin or Bachman isn't on the ticket.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »

I could understand maybe North Carolina. Indiana is going GOP regardless of the candidate. Indiana would go 65% or better  GOP if Gov. Daniels is VP with a Tea Party (Paul, Bachamann, Cain). I believe the danger is if Romney is the nominee and he picks another moderate. (Huntsman, TPaw) or neocons (Santorum). If Chris Christie is the VP NJ is a tossup.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 06:02:24 PM »

All the 2008 swing states along with Maine, New Jersey, and possibly Oregon if the 2012 political environment becomes very bad.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »

I think it comes down to a mix of resource availability and the kind of win they think they can get or hope to get.

Assuming on part resources with the Obama campaign, they'd at least attempt to match the president's efforts in the close states from last time (As far down the list of closeness as GA up through PA/WI/NH most likely). After that, in the equal resource game, its a trade off. Do you give Obama a better chance at a remote but achievable Georgia by moving your resources to New Jersey? You might if your the governor of NJ but he's pretty much out of contention for the Republican nomination even if he did change his mind at the last minute. And even then shooting for NJ would only be useful if you were planning or trying to win with a large EV margin. (be it with a large popular vote or not)

Oregon is much more likely then NJ for such a move as its cheeper (thus the resource fraction gained by letting Obama try for Georgia isn't totally used up) and thus you can spend more on the other swing states or pick another cheep target (Maine perhaps?).

Another option is to use more resources in a national push. If Obama has the swing states locked up to hold a majority of electoral votes, the Republican candidate might attempt to do a reverse Gore. Win the popular vote by racking up huge margins in TX, OK, AL, ect and loose the election. This would fit in strongly with the Tea Party view that Obama isn't a legit president, even more so if Obama holds one or more states by slim margins. People will in retrospect find the liberals who are forever convinced that GWB stole the 2000 election as calm and excessively reasonable people in comparison. Tea Party folks love playing the victim and they'd milk that all the way until the next election with a narrative about how they're defending 'freedom' from those who 'stole' the election twice.

Of course if they did win in 2016 then, they wouldn't lift a finger to change the electoral college.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 08:40:46 PM »

Another option is to use more resources in a national push. If Obama has the swing states locked up to hold a majority of electoral votes, the Republican candidate might attempt to do a reverse Gore. Win the popular vote by racking up huge margins in TX, OK, AL, ect and loose the election. This would fit in strongly with the Tea Party view that Obama isn't a legit president, even more so if Obama holds one or more states by slim margins. People will in retrospect find the liberals who are forever convinced that GWB stole the 2000 election as calm and excessively reasonable people in comparison. Tea Party folks love playing the victim and they'd milk that all the way until the next election with a narrative about how they're defending 'freedom' from those who 'stole' the election twice.

Of course if they did win in 2016 then, they wouldn't lift a finger to change the electoral college.

Republicans still seem to believe that the electoral college favors them, which it did in 2000, but doesn't inherently. Kerry lost the popular vote by a considerable margin, but would have won the election had a few ten thousand votes in Ohio gone the other way. Obama's tipping point state was Iowa, which he won by a larger margin than his national margin, indicating that the electoral college favored him, even though he ran up huge margins in CA, NY, and IL.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2011, 12:09:01 AM »

Most likely:

NM ain't competetive anymore on the Presidential level.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2011, 10:56:49 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2011, 11:00:49 AM by TheGlobalizer »

Most likely:

NM ain't competetive anymore on the Presidential level.

Disagree, depends on the candidate.  Red meat Republican opposed to immigration?  Yes, no chance.  Moderate Republican with guest worker and path to citizenship?  Different theory altogether.

No doubt that NM leans D, but the state isn't a Democratic sure thing at all.  I'd call it centrist that leans left on immigration and libertarian on social issues.  Bush/Gore and Bush/Kerry were nominal wins (Gore and Bush respectively), though Obama buried McCain in 2008.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2011, 11:03:12 AM »

Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are all Likely Dem, no matter who the GOP nominates and only flip in the event of a total Dem electoral failure. Sure, some of these states are winnable for moderate Republicans, but no one like that exists in the GOP field.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2011, 11:21:32 AM »

Michigan, Minnesota, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are all Likely Dem, no matter who the GOP nominates and only flip in the event of a total Dem electoral failure. Sure, some of these states are winnable for moderate Republicans, but no one like that exists in the GOP field.

All winnable by a conservative. Must i remind you that Reagan won all of thise states mut MN twice. We indeed have a Reagan conservative in the race. Ron Paul. Mitt is a moderate not a conservative and that's why he will not be the nominee.
UpcomingYouthvoter
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2011, 11:51:29 AM »
« Edited: June 24, 2011, 12:03:43 PM by UpcomingYouthvoter »

All winnable by a conservative. Must i remind you that Reagan won all of thise states mut MN twice. We indeed have a Reagan conservative in the race. Ron Paul. Mitt is a moderate not a conservative and that's why he will not be the nominee.

Ron Paul is not Reagan conservative at all. Ron Paul oppose the war on drugs. Reagan did not. Ron Paul wants the government to be like the Articles of Confederacy. Reagan talk like a libertarian but he did not "walk the talk" in any ways about his spending. And moderates have done better for the GOP then conservatives in historical retrospect. Look at pre Reagan 1980 era and look at the majority of the nominations that the GOP choose for president.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »

All winnable by a conservative. Must i remind you that Reagan won all of thise states mut MN twice.

So? Lyndon Johnson won every state but Arizona and the Deep South states. That doesn't mean that Barrack Obama, who could be considered similar to LBJ in politics, will, or even could win all of the states Johnson won. Politics change.

Ignoring the fact that Mitt Romney is not moderate, I want you to read this article and tell me if you still think Ron Paul is a "Reagan conservative": http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/features/2001/0301.green.html
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 12:01:57 PM »

All the moderates in my lifetime either lost (Dole, McCain) or failed to continue the Reagan legacy (HW) or couldn't win the popular vote (W)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies