Bush Faces Dreary Jobs Data in Michigan
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:58:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election Campaign
  Bush Faces Dreary Jobs Data in Michigan
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bush Faces Dreary Jobs Data in Michigan  (Read 2915 times)
ShapeShifter

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2004, 09:11:19 AM »

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040324/ap_on_el_pr/michigan_politics_2

"It's the economy, stupid"
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2004, 10:42:41 AM »

There's not a whole lot Bush or Kerry can do about this.  We don't make things in America anymore, because it's cheaper to do it overseas and ship it in.  The good news is that goods are very cheap, and the demand for technically skilled workers and service sector workers will rise with the rebounding economy.

If you are out of a factory job, voting for Kerry is not going to solve your problem.  Getting more education and developing specialized skills will.
CTguy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2004, 12:18:16 PM »

There's not a whole lot Bush or Kerry can do about this.  We don't make things in America anymore, because it's cheaper to do it overseas and ship it in.  The good news is that goods are very cheap, and the demand for technically skilled workers and service sector workers will rise with the rebounding economy.

If you are out of a factory job, voting for Kerry is not going to solve your problem.  Getting more education and developing specialized skills will.

It's a good thing Republicans aren't helping to fund education or worker retraining as well as the Democrats or they might actually have an argument...

not that I feel sorry for uneducated rural people that lose their jobs because they are too lazy to spend a couple of years getting a degree.  They're going to drain off unemployment anyways.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2004, 12:31:25 PM »

not that I feel sorry for uneducated rural people that lose their jobs because they are too lazy to spend a couple of years getting a degree.  They're going to drain off unemployment anyways.

[explosion of rage]
ShapeShifter

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2004, 12:34:28 PM »

For me, it is simple ...

Kerry - Economy
Bush - National Security
classical liberal
RightWingNut

Political Matrix
E: 9.35, S: -8.26

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2004, 12:37:42 PM »

We know that, but those who are voting will probably not care that Kerry can't help them.  They'll vote for Kerry because Bush has proven to not be able to do anything.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2004, 12:56:45 PM »
« Edited: March 24, 2004, 12:58:38 PM by Ben »

It's a good thing Republicans aren't helping to fund education or worker retraining as well as the Democrats or they might actually have an argument...

Don’t be an elitist prick... when was the last time you spoke to a person from a rural state?

By the way I take that personally as my grandfather was a butcher in a rural area of IL…he didn’t have the option of going to university he had TB instead… shame he was so lazy…  

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2004, 05:13:16 PM »

Whether the state of the economy is Bush fault or not (I'd say not) is not really relevant to this section of the forum...it'll hurt him anyway.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2004, 05:16:44 PM »

[explosion of rage]

Oddly enough I'm with you here.  True as a right winger I do not believe in redistribution or anything like that, I feel the least I can do is recognize that working-class people are essentially in a bad situation.  Its just that I think that's in the nature of things, and cannot be prevented.  But it is incredibly bad form to criticize or jeer at them for their plight.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2004, 05:19:56 PM »

[explosion of rage]

Oddly enough I'm with you here.  True as a right winger I do not believe in redistribution or anything like that, I feel the least I can do is recognize that working-class people are essentially in a bad situation.  Its just that I think that's in the nature of things, and cannot be prevented.  But it is incredibly bad form to criticize or jeer at them for their plight.

Don't expect me to come back to the forum before I come back from my state of post-shock trauma... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2004, 05:24:26 PM »

If I'm not mistaken way down the page in that article, it says the poll reveals that Bush and Kerry are 'in a statistical dead heat', as far as I can tell that means they're tied in Michigan.  If that is the case, very encouraging!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 05:26:55 PM »

[explosion of rage]

Don't expect me to come back to the forum before I come back from my state of post-shock trauma... Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

When have I ever said anything critical of poor or working-class people on here?  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 05:27:21 PM »

If I'm not mistaken way down the page in that article, it says the poll reveals that Bush and Kerry are 'in a statistical dead heat', as far as I can tell that means they're tied in Michigan.  If that is the case, very encouraging!

That is true, but it's just one poll, and with Gore winning the state by only 6 points and the normal MoE being 6 points (for the margin) a statistical dead heat is not that much of an indicator. If it's persistent, it's a whole diffeent issue of course.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2004, 05:29:58 PM »

That is true, but it's just one poll, and with Gore winning the state by only 6 points and the normal MoE being 6 points (for the margin) a statistical dead heat is not that much of an indicator. If it's persistent, it's a whole diffeent issue of course.

It says more about how the poll was presented by a left-wing press - basically the poll says Bush is as or more popular in Michigan than in 2000, but they focus on the economic opinion numbers.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2004, 05:36:03 PM »

[explosion of rage]

When have I ever said anything critical of poor or working-class people on here?  

I didn't say you have, only that I was surprised...but in a positive way. Wink I figured the whole let people die attitude wouldn't make one very sensitive to their problems, but I guess I was wrong. Wink
Beefalow and the Consumer
Beef
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.77, S: -8.78

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 01:31:55 AM »

Whether the state of the economy is Bush fault or not (I'd say not) is not really relevant to this section of the forum...it'll hurt him anyway.

Very well put, thank you.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 04:50:33 PM »

Very well put, thank you.

No problem... Smiley Some things have to repeated a few times... Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 07:16:24 PM »

[explosion of rage]

I didn't say you have, only that I was surprised...but in a positive way. Wink I figured the whole let people die attitude wouldn't make one very sensitive to their problems, but I guess I was wrong. Wink

Not at all.  I am willing to let them die because I want to enjoy my own life, not waste it helping them.  But I would never be so impolite as to make fun or criticize.  Which if you think about it fits in with an individualistic/laissez-faire/tolerant outlook.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 07:48:51 PM »

To tell you the truth, the only way to correct trade is if we institute an international min. wage (as proposed by the greatest person to ever live, Dick Gephardt)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 07:53:22 PM »

I agree with you about the economy not being Bush's fault.  I hate the man with an uncontrolable passion, mind  you, but I have so much more to attack him on than just the economy.  (And, yes, I realize that I said that the economy was bad and this will be a strike against Bush in another message, but I think that people will make that judgement anyway.)
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 08:07:48 PM »

To tell you the truth, the only way to correct trade is if we institute an international min. wage (as proposed by the greatest person to ever live, Dick Gephardt)

That's a sick idea - it would gaurantee  zero economic opportunity in places like Africa or part of Asia.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies