Does Barack Obama really oppose gay marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:14:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does Barack Obama really oppose gay marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: See above
Yes

No

How the hell should I know what the man thinks?

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 83

Author Topic: Does Barack Obama really oppose gay marriage  (Read 6952 times)
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« on: July 12, 2011, 05:54:11 PM »

He seems to claim support for state's rights on the issue, which is ironic considering he's black.
How is States Rights a racist issue? States are automatically racist just because of the likes of Strom Thurmond.

I have to agree with Sanchez on this.
Sure, I would love a world where the gays are equal but equating state's rights with equaling anti-black is illogical.  It is quite possible to be pro-federalist on some issues and not on others.  For example I could easily see Obama supporting nation wide Civil Rights but being against say nation wide legalization of marijuana.
Arguing that State's Rights=racism is the height of intellectual dishonesty.  By that argument states implementing their own income taxes are anti-black, so Obama should be against states implementing their own income tax because doing so is hateful to black people.
I mean for god's sake man, think before you talk.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:16:45 PM »

First off, the term "states rights" has long since been a code word for racist segregational laws. You may not like it, but that's the connotation it has. If you want to avoid thte race trap, use different words. Second, because of the way federal laws are structured, the US gov't has to take a stand and either recognize or not recognize same-sex marriages. For the purposes of taxation, SS benefits, etc. the US has to see two gays in Iowa as either married or not married. Of course Obama is just trying to defuse the situation by playing moderate hero. I find it unlikely that he really has any objections to same-sex marriage, but it's just not a fight he wants to have right now with so many other problems needing his attention.

Connotation maybe mate, but I'm arguing technical details and honest debate here.
I will not allow this sort of dishonest debate where any and all uses of the words "state's rights" automatically equals racism.  I believe in equal rights for gay people, I believe in equal rights for people in wheel chairs, I even believe in equal rights for those damned furries.
However, what I don't support is using dishonest debate tactics to make a point.  What the hell am I supposed to refer to state's rights issues like marijuana, gay marriage, vehicle laws, environmental legislation, lawn mower laws, etc. etc. etc. if I can't call it state's rights because "OMG so racist!!!!!"?
I mean really?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies