PPP TX: Obama Leads Perry
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:27:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  PPP TX: Obama Leads Perry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: PPP TX: Obama Leads Perry  (Read 5876 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 01:11:43 PM »

Badger, so far you have made your argument with a Sesame Street YouTube video and a sarcastic picture. Read that last sentence over and let it sink in. Maybe then you'll realize why your "argument" isn't winning me over.

You thought I was suggesting a bias and jumped to call me out on it. When my correction to your misunderstanding was made, you didn't want to accept it. Childish as usual.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 01:16:40 PM »

Obama vs. Romney:

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 01:17:43 PM »

How Popular is Paul in Texas? His lead is suprising.

No way NH goes Republican but Georgia doesnt.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2011, 01:19:39 PM »

The numbers are unsurprising, given Texas polling traditions.  Those 10% or so "undecided" always break overwhelmingly Republican (and tend to be people that hate Perry but would never vote for a Democrat).  That means that the race always looks closer than it actually is.

Obama could get 45%, or even, in a really good election, 47%, but no more.  Those last few points are the killer.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
« Edited: June 29, 2011, 01:40:19 PM by Badger »

Badger, so far you have made your argument with a Sesame Street YouTube video and a sarcastic picture. Read that last sentence over and let it sink in. Maybe then you'll realize why your "argument" isn't winning me over.

You thought I was suggesting a bias and jumped to call me out on it. When my correction to your misunderstanding was made, you didn't want to accept it. Childish as usual.

Since first lurking here 5 years ago, I'm sadly convinced by experience that someone "winning you over" with argument is futile. I make points and responses primarily for the edification and sharing with other viewers. As for your own responses, I simply think of it more as, well......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cV5i3IgWc&feature=related

And before anyone asks: a) Yes, I agree that Spanish-style bullfighting is barbaric and cruel; and 2) no, I don't own my own pretty pink cape. Wink

EDIT: Aaaannnddddd....my number of reported posts mysteriously increases by one. Roll Eyes
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2011, 03:56:24 PM »

Weird poll results, but if it puts Perry back on ice, cool.
nhmagic
azmagic
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.62, S: 4.61

« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2011, 04:34:56 PM »

Perry is toxic, that's nothing new. It's beyond silly to accuse PPP of bias every time a Republican is behind. I mean, Obama's number isn't even that high above what he got in 2008, if they really wanted to pull something, they'd push him over 50%. The only outfit with manipulated polls is a right-wing one.
No its not beyond silly.  Any one of the republican candidates in Texas would already have a solid majority of support (50%+) over Obama within the poll.  Secondly, Obama's abysmal job approval and national economic metrics should ordinarily be reflected within state polling. My rule for PPP polls - take the result and add 3-5% to the republican candidate if its a swing, lean or red state.  With Rasmussen, add 3-5% to the democratic candidate.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2011, 05:13:20 PM »
« Edited: July 01, 2011, 02:08:40 AM by pbrower2a »

Obama vs. Romney

Obama vs. Gingrich

(Deleted to accommodate Rick Perry Michelle Bachmann)...coming soon

Obama vs. Palin

Obama vs. Pawlenty

Favorite Sons:

Obama vs. local favorite sons

DeMint -- South Carolina
Santorum -- Pennsylvania
Romney -- Michigan and New Hampshire
Pawlenty -- Minnesota
Thune -- South Dakota
Gingrich -- Georgia
Bachmann -- Minnesota (but I am showing her in Iowa instead because of Pawlenty)
Palin -- Arizona (she is allegedly moving there) and Alaska
Perry -- Texas
Cain -- Georgia (but I will show him in North Carolina)
Ron Paul -- Texas (but I will show him in Oklahoma for this purpose
Johnson -- New Mexico
Huntsman -- Utah (but I will show him in Idaho instead because of Romney)

In view of the execrable performance of  Rick Perry in a matchup poll against President Obama in Texas, a firm R state, I am not going to bother showing a map for him. I am going to add Michelle Bachmann instead.  She over Cain? Michelle Bachmann has legislative experience.  
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2011, 05:55:46 PM »

Since first lurking here 5 years ago, I'm sadly convinced by experience that someone "winning you over" with argument is futile. I make points and responses primarily for the edification and sharing with other viewers. As for your own responses, I simply think of it more as, well......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9cV5i3IgWc&feature=related

And before anyone asks: a) Yes, I agree that Spanish-style bullfighting is barbaric and cruel; and 2) no, I don't own my own pretty pink cape. Wink

EDIT: Aaaannnddddd....my number of reported posts mysteriously increases by one. Roll Eyes

This is the most funny discussion ever hahaha...
I hate bullfights.
And, PPP is the best pollster.
HST1948

« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »

Obama vs. Romney

Obama vs. Gingrich

(Deleted to accommodate Rick Perry Michelle Bachmann)...coming soon

Obama vs. Palin

Obama vs. Pawlenty

Favorite Sons:

Obama vs. local favorite sons

DeMint -- South Carolina
Santorum -- Pennsylvania
Romney -- Michigan and New Hampshire
Pawlenty -- Minnesota
Thune -- South Dakota
Gingrich -- Georgia
Bachmann -- Minnesota (but I am showing her in Iowa instead because of Pawlenty)
Palin -- Arizona (she is allegedly moving there) and Alaska
Perry -- Texas
Cain -- Georgia (but I will show him in North Carolina)
Ron Paul -- Texas (but I will show him in Oklahoma for this purpose
Johnson -- New Mexico

In view of the execrable performance of  Rick Perry in a matchup poll against President Obama in Texas, a firm R state, I am not going to bother showing a map for him. I am going to add Michelle Bachmann instead.  She over Cain? Michelle Bachmann has legislative experience.  

Just a quick correction on your Pawlenty map.  You have Texas colored Red, the poll showed Pawlenty beating Obama by 1 point in TX.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2011, 10:09:07 PM »

Correction made.

In any event, I see the virtual tie between Obama and Pawlenty and I see someone who can't seal the deal on a state usually reliably-R. It probably doesn't help to be a lapsed Catholic in Texas, which except for Louisiana is probably the most Catholic state that President Obama is likely to lose in 2012.

Far more significant to President Obama than the 38 electoral votes of Texas, which he probably loses by a mid-single-digit margin, will be an open Senate seat.   I still think that if he makes some serious campaign appearances on behalf of a Democratic nominee for the Senate and the Democrats set up a strong GOTV effort, Texas could be a double-whammy for the GOP.

Oh -- Texas is not so strong R that it will vote for a lunatic-fringe candidate.   
Ben Romney
Hillary2012
Germany

« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »

pbrower you forgot AK to make red
there was a poll just a few days ago Obama leading Palin in AK
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2011, 10:16:55 PM »

Yawn. This is the same PPP garbage that showed this.

http://austin.ynn.com/content/headlines/271992/latest-poll-shows-perry-white-tie

They found that 43 percent of people surveyed support Republican Governor Rick Perry, while 43 percent back Democratic challenger Bill White. The margin of error is just over 4 percent.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

http://austin.ynn.com/content/headlines/271992/latest-poll-shows-perry-white-tie

They found that 43 percent of people surveyed support Republican Governor Rick Perry, while 43 percent back Democratic challenger Bill White. The margin of error is just over 4 percent.

In June 2010. Care to look up their poll right before election day?
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2011, 10:29:20 PM »

Is the one posted here right before election day? Nope! It's the same trash. As it stands, they had Perry over White 53/44. He won 55/42.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »

Is the one posted here right before election day? Nope! It's the same trash. As it stands, they had Perry over White 53/44. He won 55/42.

So after solid campaigning in a Republican year, Perry can break away from an opponent the quality of Bill White and PPP will accurately portray it.  Good observation.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2011, 11:09:41 PM »

So after solid campaigning in a Republican year, undecideds will naturally break Republican in a Republican state.  Good observation.

Corrected.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: July 01, 2011, 02:10:08 AM »

pbrower you forgot AK to make red
there was a poll just a few days ago Obama leading Palin in AK

Correction made.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2011, 09:25:29 AM »

I don't think people would disagree if you said that it's 1+ year before the election so the numbers can certainly change by Election Day, or that undecideds in a state like Texas will end up coming home to the Republican. I just don't see how this becomes an indictment of PPP.
Rollback
Rookie

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2011, 09:35:50 AM »

I wouldn't say that Barack would actually win Texas over Perry, but it is understandable that it is this close considering Perry has betrayed conservatives numerous times during his governorship by increasing taxes, acquiescing to the amnesty lobby, as well as supporting Rudy Giuliani of all people. He only talks a good game.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2011, 09:50:56 AM »

I don't think people would disagree if you said that it's 1+ year before the election so the numbers can certainly change by Election Day, or that undecideds in a state like Texas will end up coming home to the Republican. I just don't see how this becomes an indictment of PPP.

PPP merely happens to be the guy posting this poll. But almost all pollsters made the same mistake; Perry was leading by 6-8 for much of the cycle.

We see the same thing in New Jersey in reverse. Some were saying how Corzine would get 38% of the vote. Nope, he got 44% and would have gotten 47-48% definitely in a 2 party race.

People for some reason forget such things every 2 years.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »

It's a couple of points difference, but still very close to the final result.

Let's talk about Rasmussen's poll showing the Republican in the Hawaii Senate race trailing by just 13. That was far more suspect than anything PPP has ever released.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:03 AM »

I wouldn't say that Barack would actually win Texas over Perry, but it is understandable that it is this close considering Perry has betrayed conservatives numerous times during his governorship by increasing taxes, acquiescing to the amnesty lobby, as well as supporting Rudy Giuliani of all people. He only talks a good game.

Even Texans have their limits on the tolerance of political wackiness of a Governor. It may be a lower threshold than in Florida or Ohio, let alone Michigan or Wisconsin. The lunatic fringe is bad news anywhere.

You can be satisfied that Mitt Romney would win Texas, and that Mike Huckabee would have. But that the margin by which President Obama would lose to Mitt Romney is much smaller than Democrats have lost by there in 2000, 2004, and 2008 suggests big trouble for the Republican nominee nationwide.

More significant is what can happen to Republicans in races other than the Presidency in Texas. President Obama doesn't need to win Texas, a state that no Democratic nominee for President has won since Jimmy Carter in 1976. Carter needed Texas, which shows how much Presidential elections have changed since 1976.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2011, 11:43:09 AM »

Again, it's not surprising that Obama and Perry can be tied around 45%/45% or so, because the remaining 10% of Texas voters are shy Republicans.  Obama is already polling around his ceiling in TX (45-46 or so).  He can do that well, but no better, as all those undecideds, as much as they hate Perry, will reluctantly vote for him anyway because he's not a Democrat.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies