The White House - Polnut Administration
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 04:16:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The White House - Polnut Administration
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: The White House - Polnut Administration  (Read 35055 times)
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: May 19, 2012, 08:14:09 PM »

EMERGENCY DECLARATION

I, Jack Polnut, acting within my Constitutional authority as President of the Republic, am formally declaring a state of emergency to exist within the Pacific Region.

The lack of the Governor to open a voting booth represents a clear violation to the constitutional rights of the citizens of the region, and therefore, despite efforts to ensure this is carried out, must now be considered an extraordinary event.

I will be instructing the Secretary of Federal Elections to open a fully recognised voting booth for the Pacific Region by 12:01am on Tuesday 22 May 2012.

Any action by the Governor to interfere with this process will render him liable to further legal consequences.

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #276 on: May 19, 2012, 09:29:54 PM »

Mr. President- I commend you on this budget...I'm sure there will be minor disagreements when the real deal is rolled out but I find this very agreeable and I appreciate your commitment to veterans...

Especially the money for mental health services for veterans, which is a big contributor to the problem of homelessness amongst veterans.

and also because a veteran attempts suicide roughly every 20 minutes, it's something that needs to be addressed over a decent period of time.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #277 on: May 20, 2012, 03:43:42 AM »
« Edited: May 20, 2012, 03:46:03 AM by President Polnut »

TRANSCRIPT

The President's Press Conference
Atlasian Embassy
Berlin, Germany

Reporter: Mr President, you took the rather dramatic step of issuing a state of emergency due to the Pacific Governor's failure to open a voting booth. What are the next steps and what do you think this step will signal to other regional governors?

President Polnut: It's very simple, it signals to the Governors that an active President will step in, when they do not fulfil their constitutional responsibilities. This step was taken with the utmost seriousness. I gave the Governor two full days to respond to this issue, to either open the booth himself, or to follow the Pacific Constitution and assign that responsibility to another Pacific citizen. He did not. While it might be a dramatic step, it was the only responsible step to take.

R: Mr President, there are rumors that you've had a difficult time in negotiations with the Russian President? Surely this is a vitally important intermediary?

PP: I'm not sure who gave you that information. This is a highly delicate situation, and it's vital that we don't allow idle gossip to get in the way. What I can say, is to repeat what I said in Moscow with President Putin, we both considered this action by the Iranian regime to be a tremendous regression in the security, both of the region and the world. So, to suggest that the talks in Moscow weren't productive is wrong.

R: Can you confirm or deny that the military option has been taken off the table?

PP: At no time have I said that any option has been put on or subsequently taken off the table. My ideal has always been that a combination of diplomatic efforts and economic sanctions should be at the heart of any response to this matter, that's why I was in Moscow and now why I'm in Berlin.

R: Will you be returning to Atlasia early to deal with the Pacific matter?

PP: I have been in constant contact with my office, and with the Secretary of Federal Elections. I have spoken with him to ensure that a polling booth will be opened at just after midnight on Tuesday. The Atlasian people need to know their rights will be protected. The citizens of the Pacific deserve to know their voices will be heard and respected. I consider the current executive of the Pacific to be illegitimate.

R: Did you not commit the same error during your first term as Mideast Governor?

PP: I was wondering when this would come up, indeed. I miscalculated a date, but instead of ignoring it, I acted as soon as I realised the error.

R: Your Budget shows a rise in revenues, as well as increases in spending...

PP: It shows the Budget deficit of more than half of what it would be without my additional economies or small revenue increases. We're on track to have a Budget surplus next year and we can finally start to pay down our debt, which is at the core of my economic policy. We did this without resorting an ideological morass, we approached spending to find fat, to improve the efficiency of our services, without in any way weakening services, in fact, we're increasing services.

R: Yes Mr President, but do you not think that considering the cuts are quite modest, you could have achieved a surplus this year?

PP: Of course I could have, but my promise was to manage the economic policy of this nation sensibly, without making the lives of people doing it tough any harder. Simple as that. Unemployment is dropping but we need to make sure that services remain strong.

Guys, I need to go, thanks and see you in London.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #278 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:30 AM »

Mr. President- I commend you on this budget...I'm sure there will be minor disagreements when the real deal is rolled out but I find this very agreeable and I appreciate your commitment to veterans...

Especially the money for mental health services for veterans, which is a big contributor to the problem of homelessness amongst veterans.

^^^

This budget is very commendable, Mr. President. I'd certainly vote in favour of it Smiley
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #279 on: May 20, 2012, 11:54:01 PM »

The marijuana tax revenues seem very high. Considering that it is easy enough to grow your own and avoid the tax, or that a large amount of consumption will be for medicinal purposes, I think these estimates are a bit high. That tax will push business underground- why not?
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #280 on: May 21, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President arrived in London today. His first stop was Windsor Castle, where had an audience with Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II and presented her with the official Atlasian gift on the event of her Diamond Jubilee. The gift is a two-tier cabinet based on an item that was destroyed in the Windsor Castle fire of 1992, but made of Atlasian wood sourced from across the country and built in Washington state.

He then travelled into London and had a working lunch with Prime Minister Cameron, they discussed both the troubles plaguing the Eurozone, as well as the current Iranian threat.

The President then attended a Red Cross dinner as the guest of the Prince of Wales.

He will be arriving in Paris tomorrow morning at 10:15am local time.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #281 on: May 22, 2012, 10:47:30 AM »

Mr. President,

The Atlasian Mountaintop Removal Ban Act has passed the Senate and is presented for your signature or veto.

Senator NC Yankee,
Senate President Pro-Tempore.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #282 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:42 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President arrived in Paris today, his first order of business was a meeting with new French President Francois Hollande, where they discussed the Eurozone financial crisis, as well as threat posed by the Iranian weapons test.

The President was then honoured with an Honorary Doctorate from Sciences-Po, and he made an address on economic policy, the transcript of which will be available later.

He then had a private dinner at the Elysee Palace before returning to the Sofitel Paris le Faubourg for the night.

He will meet with Mario Draghi, President of the European Central bank on Wednesday morning before leaving for Charles de Gaulle Airport to depart for Nyman. Where he is expected to arrive early on Wednesday evening.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #283 on: May 29, 2012, 06:28:46 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President spent Memorial Day with veterans and their families.

He attended the National Service at Arlington National Cemetery where he laid a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown. He then went to Walter Reed Medical Centre where he met with recovering soliders, then attended a barbeque with recent veterans, their families and the families of fallen soldiers at the White House.   
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »

TRANSCRIPT

The President's Press Conference
White House Rose Garden

Reporter: The election is three weeks away, and you've yet to make an endorsement, why the wait?

President: This again, I have said that I will make an endorsement sometime in early June. It is nearly early June, so it'll be soon.

Reporter: You can't give us a clue?

President: Well, I think it's pretty clear that the decision is a choice between two candidates, and two very different characters. I believe that being President is a complex balancing act, you need that fire and drive of an advocate, but you also need to know when to pull back. Sometimes winning isn't what matters, getting a good compromise is. You also need to be prepared to step back.

Obviously, when there's been an issue I've been strongly in favour of, or strongly opposed to, I've worked for it. But other times, my job is not to see my party, my side, my philosophy win, although it is nice thing to happen, it's to get a good result for as many people as possible.

So the person I personally endorse, will be the one who I think has the drive, but also the capacity to see the bigger picture and be pragmatic and open to finding common ground.

Reporter: It sounds like you've already made your mind up?

President: Have I? News to me...

Reporter: Mr President, Secretary Jake Matthews has left not only the presidential race, but also it seems his post in Internal Affairs, what are your thoughts?

President: I honestly haven't had a discussion with the Secretary. Presidential politics is hard, through whatever means, discovering you don't have the support you think you, or even should is very damaging. But Jake's choice, is his alone. He's been a great member of my Cabinet, I can't fault his work and his efforts to make that position more relevant.

Politics is also about timing, and I know Jake has wanted to be president for a long time, but this just wasn't his time and very often, you can't force the timing.

I think, if he follows through with his retirement, Atlasia will be much poorer for it.

Reporter: Senator Wormyguy made a comment in relation to your increased support for veterans today, he referred to them a subset, thoughts on that.

President: As you know the Senator and I go back a while, and our working relationship has been far from warm or even constructive. I had seen what I thought was an introduction of more reasonable positions from him, still far too extreme for me, but progress is progress. But this comment is not only disrespectful, but ill-informed. The men and women he derided with his comment are owed more than we can give, and in this Budget I've sought to do more for them, because they deserve it.

Reporter: On a similar topic, you're getting pressure from your own party over the re-introduction of a Constitutional Amendment to ban conscription. In the Senate you were of mixed mind and eventually voted for it....

President: I think we need to be completely clear. I opposed a blanket ban through an amendment, full stop. In fact, I generally oppose the Constitution being used for things like this. We have strong legislative instruments that would make conscription all but impossible. But I see this as issue of principle, people who believe conscription is wrong, as I generally do, but want to use the their current position and the power of the Senate to bind the hands of future Senators and Commanders-in-Chief. I simply believe that's irresponsible.

Guys, thanks.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #285 on: June 04, 2012, 05:18:49 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President will make an endorsement for the presidency on Tuesday 12 June 2012.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #286 on: June 05, 2012, 07:14:48 PM »

Mr. President,

The New Atlasian Healthcare Act has passed the Senate and is presented for your signature or veto.

Senator NC Yankee,
President Pro-Tempore
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #287 on: June 06, 2012, 03:01:43 PM »

Mr. President, will you be appointing a new SoIA if Jake Matthews does not return to the forum soon?  Sadly, I think he might be done here.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #288 on: June 06, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President will make an endorsement for the presidency on Tuesday 12 June 2012.
As will the Vice President. Wink
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #289 on: June 06, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

Mr. President, will you be appointing a new SoIA if Jake Matthews does not return to the forum soon?  Sadly, I think he might be done here.

I will be formally declaring the post vacant on Saturday if he has not formally resigned by that point.

I am happy to speak with people who may be interested in serving in this post.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #290 on: June 10, 2012, 01:58:05 AM »
« Edited: June 12, 2012, 09:53:07 PM by President Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

The President be making visits in support of candidates he has endorsed for various offices next week.

Monday: Campaigning with Senator Ben - Indianapolis, IN

Tuesday: Campaigning with Senator Scott - tba

polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #291 on: June 12, 2012, 09:56:48 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President has decided to not make an endorsement for the presidency, until a debate has taken place.

While it is clear the President has options, he expected a debate to have taken place by this time.

He apologies to the candidates, but considering how difficult a decision this is for him, he wants to make sure it is the right one, not the easiest one.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #292 on: June 13, 2012, 03:54:19 AM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President made a brief comment on the reduction in national unemployment numbers.

"This is good news, but it shows that there is more that we need to do. The results are uneven and the inflation numbers are still higher than we'd like to see.

But the Atlasian economy is recovering, and we should be proud of that."
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #293 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:10 PM »

TRANSCRIPT

East Room Press Briefing - Syria

Thanks guys,

What's happening in Syria is deeply troubling and upsetting to me. We had hoped that the Assad Regime would enter a functioning ceasefire for no other reason than to restore stability to their country.

Unfortunately, it is clear now that the Syrian Government is not serious about this ceasefire, and if the far more powerful and better equipped state forces are not serious, why should the opposing forces be so either. It's a very precarious situation, not just for Syria, but for the region.

Earlier today, I sent the Secretary of External Affairs to Moscow to meet with officials there to determine what they are prepared to do to see stability restored in this country for the sake of the innocent civilians. Too many have died and it needs to stop.

I want to make this message clear to President Assad, 'you continue to act with willful disregard to both the well-being of your own people, as well as the international community, clearly because you don't see any consequences to doing so. Let me say, consequences are on the table, and you need to think very carefully if you continue down this path'.

I'll take a few questions...

Reporter: Mr President, does that mean you are not ruling out military intervention?

President: Look, there remains a multitude of options before the military option is entertained.

Reporter: Mr President, by sending the Secretary to Moscow, what message are you trying to send to both Damascus, and those who are supporting their actions?

President: I don't want to categorise Russia as supportive of the Assad regime's actions. They certainly have greater channels to Damascus than we do. The message to Assad should be that this is a domestic tragedy for his country that he compounding by his actions. He had an opportunity for international good-will, but he's completely blown that opportunity.

We have verified evidence of children being used as human shields, women and children being tortured and murdered. This cannot stand, and I urge all the international community to condemn these actions and this regime.

Thanks, guys.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #294 on: June 13, 2012, 09:38:01 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President made a brief statement earlier about case being brought against the IDS.

"The section in question creates an alternative legal tender in the region. Whether or not they define it as 'not currency' in the bill is irrelevant, it is minted by the regional government, assigned a monetary value and able to be provided in exchange for goods and services. It is, by those very definitions, currency."
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #295 on: June 14, 2012, 01:30:46 AM »
« Edited: June 14, 2012, 01:33:44 AM by President Polnut »

PRESS RELEASE

The President held emergency meetings late tonight with the Attorney General.

A statement was released:

"The President is very clear that the current IDS laws do violate the Constitution. However, this issue needs to be resolved without further drama or risk to life.

The Federal Government will defend the Constitution, and also the viability of our national currency, and will be pursuing this matter through the courts. The President expects all parties to respect the will of the Judiciary on this matter.

The President is fully prepared to engage in a positive dialogue with the Emperor of the IDS, however, the 'dibble' as it stands cannot remain in place."
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #296 on: June 14, 2012, 01:38:10 AM »

I disagree with your contention regarding the dibble, but I have no wish for further drama either. My people are eager to return to work at their usual places, and hope to avoid any more disruptions like the one that occurred earlier.

Furthermore, no matter how certain you may be of the illicit nature of the dibble, no ruling has been made relegating the dibble to the level of contraband, requiring its seizure by the FBI. I would hope to see any dibbles that have been taken restored to the region, where they may be kept and, if the Supreme Court so rules, retired.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #297 on: June 14, 2012, 03:59:40 AM »

I should have said "I believe"...

It's in the best interests of the people of the IDS to allow this matter to be handled in court, and we agree on that and I'm happy to work with you and let this matter be handled by the appropriate channels.

I won't endorse any action beyond that by the Federal Government.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #298 on: June 14, 2012, 08:36:35 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President is pleased, that with the passage of the new Health reform Bill, the Budget looks to be heading towards a surplus.

This economic record is something the president is proud of and thanks the Senate for the diligence on this issue. The working relationship between this Senate, on the while, and the administration has enabled a government for the Atlasian people which is functional and strong.
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix

« Reply #299 on: June 14, 2012, 09:28:12 PM »

PRESS RELEASE

The President has asked the Vice President to act as his negotiator with the IDS.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies