Why is the South so conservative? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:53:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Why is the South so conservative? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Why is the South so conservative?  (Read 26342 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: July 03, 2011, 10:28:34 AM »

because the south is very rural. Rural areas (except for maybe Vermont) tend to be more conservative.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:12:15 PM »

ConKiller...have you ever been to Atlanta, Miami, Orlando, Charlotte, Dallas, New Orelans or Memphis.  They are much more rural than Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island arent they
?

Those cities are all more Democratic than ME, NH, or RI...

Atlanta; the core of I-285 is basically a mix of democrats of both races. The outer core (Cobb, east Gwinnett, Forsyth, Cherokee, Milton et al) is the type of suburbanites you find in "The Blind Side"

Miami is very strange. Its one of those areas where the suburbs are more liberal than the city. The city is very swing due to the cubans but the suburbs (especially the jewish ones) can be liberal

Orlando is lean democrat. Its amazing how the area went from being hard-core R to Democrat in just 20 years.

Mecklenburg County is similar to Orlando in that until 10-15 years ago, it was solid R and flipped Democrat rather quickly. The counties surrounding Mecklenburg are republican although not as much as other southern suburbs.

As for Dallas, the dem areas are basically south of I-30, and in parts of Mesquite, Grand Prairie, Irving. Except for some black areas of Fort Worth and Arlington, you won't run into any democratic areas for another 200 miles in either direction.

New Orleans usually goes 75-80% democrat in most elections, but I know that Metairie and Kenner to the east often go republican

Memphis traditionally (although not so much today) was a city where race was the best predictor of your political affiliation. Germantown, and the eastern parts of the county vote republican but it never shows up in the county returns as they are outvoted by the urban core of Memphis which is a black majority city and gave Obama something like 75-80 percent.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 11:04:57 AM »

The map above shows the abortion laws in each state prior to Roe v. Wade (from wikipedia). For some reason the key is cut off. Red is illegal, purple is legal only in case of rape, blue is legal for health reasons, green is legal only for both (blue + purple = green), and yellow is legal on demand. Heck, even Vermont had more pro-life laws than the south!

http://books.google.com/books?id=LSO5YDifWz8C&pg=PA209&vq=history+baptist+abortion&sig=KZgjPsS22v-Yl0bLPRrl6eu-Etk#v=onepage&q&f=false

On pg. 12 of this book it talks about the Southern Baptists (arguable) endorsement of Roe v. Wade. The Baptist Press printed that “Religious liberty, human equality, and justice are advanced by the Supreme Court abortion decision [Roe v. Wade].” Former President of the Southern Baptist Convention W. A. Criswell said, “I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person.”

The Southern Baptists didn’t start to really oppose abortion until 1980. I understand that not all southerners are Southern Baptists, but this has always given me the impression that the south never really was as conservative as it is today back then. I was searching for abortion polling by state for the 1970s vs. today and have been unable to find any so I am unable to quantitatively back this assertion up (at least on that issue). Perhaps there are other issues the south had moved leftward on to compensate for this, but I cannot really think of any.

this is why the south has been labeled at times as "reactionary"
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies