Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:36:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Cuomo replacing Biden in 2012?  (Read 4420 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 07:33:14 PM »

You'll be voting depending on who is in the lead in the final Gallup poll, my friend. Let's be honest.

Let's predict Bushie's display name for October 2012!

ObamaOklahoma?

RomneyOklahoma?

BachmannOklahoma?

HuntsmanOklahoma?

CainOklahoma?

GingrichOklahoma?

Pawlenty Oklahoma?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 07:41:16 PM »

I agree with Lief, if such a dumb move were to happen, I would be voting Republican if nothing else than for the stupidity of such decision by both Obama and Cuomo.  Right now, I'm planning to vote for President Obama next year, but if this were to happen it would negate that vote.  It won't matter in such a deep red state like Oklahoma, but it's the principle of the matter.

You'll be voting depending on who is in the lead in the final Gallup poll, my friend. Let's be honest.

Not exactly, my friend...

I'll be voting for whomever I think would best represent the views I care about most.  I'm an issue/character voter, not a poll voter.

For example, in 2004, I was determined to vote John Kerry long before he became the frontrunner.  In 2007, I picked Barack Obama long before he became the frontrunner and when the nation thought he was a pipe dream because of Hillary Clinton's perceived "entitlement".

This year, I do plan on vote for President Obama, but things could change, not based on the poll, but based on mistakes that the President makes and/or if I like one of the Republican candidates better.  In fact, I am very strongly considering switching my registration to Republican so I can vote in the Republican primary, not because I'm a Republican.  I had a professor who did that, changed his political registration every election cycle.

Plus, right now, President Obama is far from being considered a lock for re-election.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 07:48:02 PM »

In fact, I am very strongly considering switching my registration to Republican so I can vote in the Republican primary, not because I'm a Republican. 

OMG BUSHIE IS DOING "OPERATION CHAOS". SOMEONE CALL RUSH LIMBAUGH ASAP!
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »

Barackobama.com is already selling their crap with "OBAMA BIDEN" on it.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2011, 06:29:10 AM by anvikshiki »

Your talking points aside, the negotiations still weren't a success. Not necessarily blaming Biden but he can't point to GOP "obstructionism" as a victory of his.

P.S. - Alan Simpson isn't "on the Hill" anymore.

Alan Simpson isn't "on the Hill" anymore?  Wow, I really was born yesterday.  Simpson was reflecting his own view, but the fact of the matter is that Biden is a bona fide Hill veteran, and that counts for something in legislative negotiations, and that's the main reason Obama wants to keep him where he is.  That's the point of the argument, your own snarky, smart-ass little comments aside.

By the way, I don't have any interest in forwarding anyone's "talking points."  I don't give a rat's fat one about what Obama does with Biden or what Biden does with himself. As far as I'm concerned at the moment, everybody in D.C. from the president to the Dem caucus to the GOP caucus can go screw themselves.   Obama is acting dumb, the GOP is acting dumb, and it's all a stupid wash.  

On this issue, what I'm saying is that the idea of replacing Biden with Cuomo is ludicrous, and there is no evidence that it will happen or reasonable justification for doing it.  Obama gets more mileage out of Biden as VP than he does with Biden as head of State.   Witness Biden's idea of partitioning Iraq, which was over-the-moon ridiculous; I wouldn't make Biden head of State if someone put a gun to my head.  As a VP who functions as a behind-the-scenes workhorse on the Hill...that's a much better place for him.  If Obama agreed to any arrangement that traded Biden out for someone else at this point, it would only be because either Biden wanted to retire or because Obama is a first-class, unparalleled, politically senseless moron who loved nothing better than to invite even more trouble on himself than he is already in.  
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2011, 09:28:25 AM »

Your talking points aside, the negotiations still weren't a success. Not necessarily blaming Biden but he can't point to GOP "obstructionism" as a victory of his.

Alan Simpson isn't "on the Hill" anymore?  Wow, I really was born yesterday.  Simpson was reflecting his own view, but the fact of the matter is that Biden is a bona fide Hill veteran, and that counts for something in legislative negotiations, and that's the main reason Obama wants to keep him where he is.  That's the point of the argument, your own snarky, smart-ass little comments aside.

You quoted Simpson then said it looked like he had respect of old GOP heads "on the Hill." Your words, not mine.

B
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I totally agree. That doesn't mean the President and others agree with our view though.

Except, again, he isn't much of a workhorse on the Hill. On which legislation did he whip up votes for the administration?

And Bush was considering putting Rudy on the ticket in 2004 while they were selling Bush-Cheney on stuff. This is minor stuff to Presidential campaigns.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »

By the way, I don't have any interest in forwarding anyone's "talking points."  I don't give a rat's fat one about what Obama does with Biden or what Biden does with himself. As far as I'm concerned at the moment, everybody in D.C. from the president to the Dem caucus to the GOP caucus can go screw themselves.   Obama is acting dumb, the GOP is acting dumb, and it's all a stupid wash.  

On this issue, what I'm saying is that the idea of replacing Biden with Cuomo is ludicrous, and there is no evidence that it will happen or reasonable justification for doing it.  Obama gets more mileage out of Biden as VP than he does with Biden as head of State.   Witness Biden's idea of partitioning Iraq, which was over-the-moon ridiculous; I wouldn't make Biden head of State if someone put a gun to my head.  As a VP who functions as a behind-the-scenes workhorse on the Hill...that's a much better place for him.  If Obama agreed to any arrangement that traded Biden out for someone else at this point, it would only be because either Biden wanted to retire or because Obama is a first-class, unparalleled, politically senseless moron who loved nothing better than to invite even more trouble on himself than he is already in.  

Quoted for truth.

Andrew Cuomo is a pretty experienced guy politically but I believe that he's too smart to consider becoming the Vice President only 2 years into his governorship.  Believe it or not six to eight years as the governor of one of the biggest states in the Union looks better on the resume than "Vice President".  I mean think about it for a second people......how many Vice Presidents become President anyway?  Okay then, how many Vice Presidents get ELECTED (as in how many Vice Presidents ascend to the office of presidency through election rather than their predecessor kicking the bucket) President?  Oh really?  Because I from my last count it was:
John Adams (Federalist-Massachusetts)
Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican Virginia)
Martin Van Buren (Democratic-New York)
Richard M. Nixon (Republican-New York), I feel like I'm being generous including Nixon on this list considering that the first Presidential Election he ran after Eisenhower's two terms he lost, but he was a Vice President and he did eventually win so I'm including him in this list.
George HW Bush (Republican-Texas)
And if we arguing popular vote victories here, Albert Gore, Jr. (Democratic-Tennessee) could be included here.
See, even when I'm being extremely generous by including a guy who lost his first Presidential Election after the Administration he was a part of and a guy who didn't get sworn in as President on Inauguration Day that's only six guys who won the popular vote with the job title "Vice President".  If we drop Gore, since he didn't become President that means only five Vice Presidents in US History have been elected President.  Now let's see a list of those who ascended the Presidency because the President kicked the bucket:
John Tyler (Whig-Virginia), remember he was a Whig Party member when he was sworn in.
Millard Fillmore (Whig-New York)
Andrew Johnson (National Union-Tennessee)
Chester A. Arthur (Republican-New York)
Theodore Roosevelt (Republican-New York)
Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts)

Harry S. Truman (Democratic-Missouri)
Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic-Texas)

That is eight Vice Presidents who ascended to the office via the death of the President.  If we include Gerald Ford (Republican-Michigan) that is nine Vice Presidents who ascended to the office of President via death or resignation.  In other words the Vice Presidency isn't an office that one seeks in the hopes of becoming President one day, it's to help the Presidency.  History proves this, as more Vice Presidents have stepped up to the role of President following the tragic death of their predecessor than have been elected themselves.  Knowing this, does anybody seriously think Andrew Cuomo with his political genes is going to even consider becoming Vice President?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »

That's probably the best point anymore has made on this thread.
milhouse24
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2011, 10:11:46 AM »

This seems like a GOP story, since duh, it was planted by a GOP operative. 

But secretly, I think there is some truth in it, because Biden really does want to be Secretary of State and fly around the world, he doesn't want to sit on his behind in the Naval Observatory bunker because he has little of the power Cheney had.  Cheney controlled all of Dubya's foreign policy and his domestic energy policy, and some GOP campaign people even though Cheney should be replaced!  So when the most powerful VP ever can be replaced, then replacing Biden is on the table.  It depends if Axelrod will approve it. 

The Cuomo rumor is more so to bash Cuomo to an unpopular president and deflate Cuomo's recent success.  Cuomo will run for president in 2016 no matter what so this is a little dig at him by the local GOP. 

My prediction, Biden becomes the next Secretary of State and flies to the Middle East.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »

"Biden wants to be Secretary of State" is also based on nothing.  Right now, the safe bet is that Biden and Cuomo are rivals in 2016 primaries.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
« Edited: July 05, 2011, 11:59:53 AM by Χahar »

Vice Presidents don't get replaced, ever. The last two Vice Presidents to not run for reelection were Rockefeller in 1976 (because he was a million years old) and Wallace in 1944 (because the convention disapproved of his left-wing views; that was back when the convention decided).

In 2007, I picked Barack Obama long before he became the frontrunner and when the nation thought he was a pipe dream because of Hillary Clinton's perceived "entitlement".

I'm pretty sure that's not true.
Cincinnatus
JBach717
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2011, 12:09:28 PM »

Quoted for truth.

Andrew Cuomo is a pretty experienced guy politically but I believe that he's too smart to consider becoming the Vice President only 2 years into his governorship.  Believe it or not six to eight years as the governor of one of the biggest states in the Union looks better on the resume than "Vice President".  I mean think about it for a second people......how many Vice Presidents become President anyway?  Okay then, how many Vice Presidents get ELECTED (as in how many Vice Presidents ascend to the office of presidency through election rather than their predecessor kicking the bucket) President?  Oh really?  Because I from my last count it was:
John Adams (Federalist-Massachusetts)
Thomas Jefferson (Democratic-Republican Virginia)
Martin Van Buren (Democratic-New York)
Richard M. Nixon (Republican-New York), I feel like I'm being generous including Nixon on this list considering that the first Presidential Election he ran after Eisenhower's two terms he lost, but he was a Vice President and he did eventually win so I'm including him in this list.
George HW Bush (Republican-Texas)
And if we arguing popular vote victories here, Albert Gore, Jr. (Democratic-Tennessee) could be included here.
See, even when I'm being extremely generous by including a guy who lost his first Presidential Election after the Administration he was a part of and a guy who didn't get sworn in as President on Inauguration Day that's only six guys who won the popular vote with the job title "Vice President".  If we drop Gore, since he didn't become President that means only five Vice Presidents in US History have been elected President.  Now let's see a list of those who ascended the Presidency because the President kicked the bucket:
John Tyler (Whig-Virginia), remember he was a Whig Party member when he was sworn in.
Millard Fillmore (Whig-New York)
Andrew Johnson (National Union-Tennessee)
Chester A. Arthur (Republican-New York)
Theodore Roosevelt (Republican-New York)
Calvin Coolidge (Republican-Massachusetts)

Harry S. Truman (Democratic-Missouri)
Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic-Texas)

That is eight Vice Presidents who ascended to the office via the death of the President.  If we include Gerald Ford (Republican-Michigan) that is nine Vice Presidents who ascended to the office of President via death or resignation.  In other words the Vice Presidency isn't an office that one seeks in the hopes of becoming President one day, it's to help the Presidency.  History proves this, as more Vice Presidents have stepped up to the role of President following the tragic death of their predecessor than have been elected themselves.  Knowing this, does anybody seriously think Andrew Cuomo with his political genes is going to even consider becoming Vice President?

Right.. so that's 13 out of 47?  In comparison with the other 300million people in the U.S., I'd say I like those odds.  Even 5 out of 47 isn't bad.  Vice Presidents naturally look for the top spot once their term is over, so it's not like it's not a coveted position for looking up.  6-8 years as Governor here might very well do better for him then being VP.  Of course, this is already a deep blue state, which wouldn't give him the big-time National coverage as say, VP, in order to get word out to lean blue/swing.  Obviously though, I very much doubt a Obama/Cuomo ticket unless Biden tells the President he's done, or Biden makes an extremely controversial headline that calls for him to leave the ticket. 

Besides, I don't mind Cuomo staying for now.  At least he's moving things forward, unlike our last string of inept/"fun-seeking" leaders.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 12:33:18 PM »

Vice Presidents don't get replaced, ever. The last two Vice Presidents to not run for reelection were Rockefeller in 1976 (because he was a million years old) and Wallace in 1944 (because the convention disapproved of his left-wing views; that was back when the convention decided).

Rockefeller was also the moderate VP of a moderate president, who had just barely survived a primary challenge from a conservative hero. Even without the age issue, Ford needed a more conservative running mate.
izixs
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.31, S: -6.51

« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2011, 01:25:21 PM »

"Biden wants to be Secretary of State" is also based on nothing.  Right now, the safe bet is that Biden and Cuomo are rivals in 2016 primaries.

Bingo.

As for 2016, I'd probably not be going for either to be honest. (Feingold/Gillbrand 2016!)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2011, 01:44:30 PM »

Bingo.

As for 2016, I'd probably not be going for either to be honest. (Feingold/Gillbrand 2016!)
I think Manchin is going to interject himself and take it away from Cuomo and Biden.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »

Bingo.

I'm with you on that!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »

"Biden wants to be Secretary of State" is also based on nothing.

Sure, it's based on nothing...if you don't follow American politics. 

Beyond hilarious. Almost painful.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 04:24:11 PM »
« Edited: July 05, 2011, 04:34:21 PM by Swedish Cheese »

I still haven't seen any proof that this theory has any basis in reality. Sure you can say Obama wants this, Biden wants that, Cuomo wants whatever, but so far I've seen nothing that actually points in that direction. It's just wild mass guessing. Quite the contarary, with Obama's official 2012 site already saying Obama/Biden, all evidence point towards him keeping Biden.

Besides what would Cuomo actually bring to the ticket. The Gays? I'm sure whoever the GOP nominee is will deliver them to the Dems rapped in gift-paper.     
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:40 PM »

Quite the contarary, with Obama's official 2012 site already saying Obama/Biden, all evidence point towards him keeping Biden.

Why do people think this is a be all and end all? How is that "all" of the evidence?

"Oh, no! Obama-Biden is already on the keychains! They can't switch it up now!"

Again, Bush-Cheney '04 was already on material while Bush flirted with putting Rudy on the ticket...

It would be someone new and somewhat exciting, in an effort to try to recapture the feelings surrounding Obama in 2008.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2011, 05:17:08 PM »

It would be someone new and somewhat exciting, in an effort to try to recapture the feelings surrounding Obama in 2008.

Ah I can see it now "Ok so I might not have delivered change you could believe in, but look I changed my running-mate at least."

milhouse24
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 07:30:25 PM »

"Biden wants to be Secretary of State" is also based on nothing.

Sure, it's based on nothing...if you don't follow American politics. 

Beyond hilarious. Almost painful.

Here's the Dems running in 2016 - Warner, Cuomo, Bayh, Biden, Hillary, etc.
milhouse24
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 07:32:42 PM »

Quite the contarary, with Obama's official 2012 site already saying Obama/Biden, all evidence point towards him keeping Biden.

Why do people think this is a be all and end all? How is that "all" of the evidence?

"Oh, no! Obama-Biden is already on the keychains! They can't switch it up now!"

Again, Bush-Cheney '04 was already on material while Bush flirted with putting Rudy on the ticket...

I really want to know how badly Biden wants to be SoS, because I think he is actually bored with VP and really wants to fly around the world talking out his mouth.  I think it would be a brilliant political maneuver for Obama to have a female VP this time around.  It would be incredibly exciting, more so than Palin ever was.
Jacobtm

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 07:45:27 PM »

Joe Biden is the best VP in living memory.

It's the perfect job for him, he can negotiate with the Senate and then just go off to some international conference somewhere and make wisecracks and hit on foreign bitches.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2011, 07:17:52 PM »

There's no chance Cuomo is on the ticket in 12 but which of these guys is more likely to be the 2016 nominee is an interesting question.  I also think they each are plausible VP choices if Clinton is on top, assuming they use the Cheney loophole for Cuomo with Clintons getting a place in New Hampshire next to the Romneys.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: July 07, 2011, 08:27:40 AM »

There's no chance Cuomo is on the ticket in 12 but which of these guys is more likely to be the 2016 nominee is an interesting question.  I also think they each are plausible VP choices if Clinton is on top, assuming they use the Cheney loophole for Cuomo with Clintons getting a place in New Hampshire next to the Romneys.

I agree. The Vice-Presidency is not a particularly attractive office unless the President is in poor health. It is usually a plum offered to a rival in the primaries or to someone of "long and faithful service" to the President's Party.  Dick Cheney is a different character, someone who could never have been elected President but instead serves as a sort of major domo.

If anyone thinks President Obama "Left" by contemporary standards, then think of the opportunities for the President elected in 2016... if a Democrat. It's hard to predict House races five years from now, but the Senate will have plenty of opportunities for a Democratic majority, and perhaps a large one. In 2010 Republicans won some new Senate seats with candidates decidedly to the right of the political mainstream of those States --   Ayotte in New Hampshire, Toomey in Pennsylvania, Rubio in Florida, Fisher in Ohio, Kirk in Illinois, and Johnson in Wisconsin. Add to this Charles Grassley in Iowa and John McCain in Arizona, formerly understood to be moderates but drifting far to the Right and very old, and it is easy to see eight Senate seats highly vulnerable to Democrats in 2016 because of incumbents who poorly fit the political culture or to open seats. The Democrats have only one imaginable anomaly in Manchin in West Virginia, and only because West Virginia is a good state for statewide Democrats who fit the culture but not national Democrats who fail to fit the statewide culture. Unless the political scene becomes more right-wing by 2016, any Democrat elected President in 2016 stands to have a very strong position to push a legislative agenda. 

The Vice-Presidency is NOT a good place from which to win the Presidency.   
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies