PPP New Mexico: Susana Martinez popular (52/37), Bill Richardson not
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:10:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  PPP New Mexico: Susana Martinez popular (52/37), Bill Richardson not
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PPP New Mexico: Susana Martinez popular (52/37), Bill Richardson not  (Read 1376 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 05, 2011, 03:51:17 PM »

http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot.com/2011/07/new-mexico-odds-and-ends.html

Most of the Republicans elected Governor in Obama states last November have quickly become very unpopular. Not so in the case of New Mexico's Susana Martinez. 52% of voters approve of the job she's doing to 37% who disapprove. Beyond that she would win a hypothetical rematch with opponent Diane Denish by a 53-44 margin, actually a little bit better than the 7 point spread she won by last fall

When it comes to former Governor Bill Richardson absence clearly does not make the heart grow fonder. Just 27% of voters have a favorable opinion of him to 63% with a negative one. Most striking is that even Democrats- by a 47/41 margin- say they view the former Governor in a negative light. His numbers with independents (25/67) and Republicans (5/87) are about as bad as they could possibly be. There are few politicians in the country who've managed to become as unpopular as Richardson without a major scandal.

Looks pretty damn awesome.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »

Susana doesn't waste her time or care about doing pointless national platform hackery things like busting up unions.   She is very much a local issue populist Governor and that is why she is popular.

Richardson had his head in the clouds about being a national figure and ran Santa Fe like it was Washington.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »

I don't know much about her or what she's done.  I went on her official website, and from the looks of it, all she's done so far is tell people what to do, like not use small personal fireworks to celebrate Independence Day, which I think is just silly.  Oh well.  At least she's not a Jan Brewer clone.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 05:11:52 PM »

like not use small personal fireworks to celebrate Independence Day

We're only at a third of normal rainfall for the year and have about a dozen forest fires state wide, two caused by fireworks gone awry. 

Like I said, she governs on local issues and not any sort of national conservative model, which is why she is popular.
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 05:20:47 PM »

A lot of states banned fireworks this year due to drought conditions, not that that stops anyone. Ironically, we had a rainstorm last night, and the city had to cancel their fireworks display.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 05:21:27 PM »

like not use small personal fireworks to celebrate Independence Day

We're only at a third of normal rainfall for the year and have about a dozen forest fires state wide, two caused by fireworks gone awry. 

Like I said, she governs on local issues and not any sort of national conservative model, which is why she is popular.
It depends on where those fireworks are shot off.  If the smaller, legal ones are used in an area with fewer trees and precautions are taken, then there shouldn't be any problems.  Setting them off in a forest is a pretty dumb idea.

I suppose I can see why people would like that.  She's definitely one of the more "silent" legislators of this year.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:09:21 PM »

Susana doesn't waste her time or care about doing pointless national platform hackery things like busting up unions.

Well, she did go a little nuts on the driver's license thing.  She'd probably be +20 or more but for that.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 12:33:17 PM »

After all these years, people still act like New Mexico is a predictable state?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies