MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:04:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute)  (Read 3829 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:24 PM »

My primary concern with this bill is, teacher's salary is not related to the improvement of the student's test scores. Surely, if the average test score of a class increases from a C at the beginning of the semester to a B at the end of the semester, the salary of the teacher of said class should increase accordingly.

Write an amendment and throw it in there
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 06:49:32 PM »

My primary concern with this bill is, teacher's salary is not related to the improvement of the student's test scores. Surely, if the average test score of a class increases from a C at the beginning of the semester to a B at the end of the semester, the salary of the teacher of said class should increase accordingly.

Re-weighting a salary after each semester would be administratively difficult and doesn't allow teachers to plan their household income for the year ahead. An annual review would be satisfactory.

I was reading it as the score change over the year (beginning of the year, to end of semester A, to end of semester B) would weight the salary) but change the salary on a year to year basis
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:27:24 PM »

I still remain opposed to putting such a high percentage towards tests scores. It put's teacher's in rural and inner-city areas at a disadvantage and is certainly discouraging.
While I share your concerns about judging teachers by their students' test performances, I'm curious to hear your solution.
I personally wouldn't support including it, but I at least want a reduction from the current number as a compromise. We had a number a while back that both sides were happy with, but I can't remember right off the top of my head. I'll try and look back later.

I'm just saying, I think it's unfair when you're using the same system for teacher's pay in Avon, Indiana that you are in, say, Sullivan, Indiana.

It could be a wide range of scores, AP, SAT, ACT as well as class vs class in schools, statewide testing, etc
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:23:22 PM »

I still remain opposed to putting such a high percentage towards tests scores. It put's teacher's in rural and inner-city areas at a disadvantage and is certainly discouraging.
While I share your concerns about judging teachers by their students' test performances, I'm curious to hear your solution.
I personally wouldn't support including it, but I at least want a reduction from the current number as a compromise. We had a number a while back that both sides were happy with, but I can't remember right off the top of my head. I'll try and look back later.

I'm just saying, I think it's unfair when you're using the same system for teacher's pay in Avon, Indiana that you are in, say, Sullivan, Indiana.

It could be a wide range of scores, AP, SAT, ACT as well as class vs class in schools, statewide testing, etc
How can you base it off of SAT and ACT scores considering many students don't take them? And many teachers aren't certified to teach AP courses. In my school, for example, we have only 4 AP classes.

It's kinda obvious I'm not talking about 2nd graders for that part Tongue But I am all for increasing funding for more honors and AP courses as well as giving kids the option to take specific classes at a nearby school if it is not offered at their own.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:10 PM »

With all the controversy surrounding standardized testing and determining teacher's salary by the performance of their students on standardized tests, I wonder if it would not be wise to place less emphasis on tests and more emphasis on performance in regular classroom lessons. Your thoughts?

The problem with salary on merit for teachers is 1) their students can just be a bad bunch, 2) it discourages teaching in urban districts 3) their students have the ability to screw them over 4) it's all about student motivation (which if a teacher can get them motivated, is the greatest asset to their learning).

However by also letting bad teachers retain tenure, that screws the students. If anyone can come up with some idea where we can get rid of bad teachers, reward hard working teachers that motivate their students and successfully teach them to that their scores increase, please PLEASE come forward.

No idea is bad at this point. Just throw them out.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 12:26:16 PM »

Both of those are wonderful ideas. I'm with afleitch 100% with that.

And MO's idea of making it harder to gain tenure in the first place is smart as well.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »

I believe two and both I support
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »

Is this it for amendments everyone?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 09:39:49 PM »

It's great that you expressed your concerns, your views, and submitted amendments for this bill before voting Nay to accomplish absolutely no education reform and innovation for failing and failed public schools.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies