MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:42 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: MA: Teaching Reform Act (Statute)  (Read 3827 times)
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:19 PM »

My primary concern with this bill is, teacher's salary is not related to the improvement of the student's test scores. Surely, if the average test score of a class increases from a C at the beginning of the semester to a B at the end of the semester, the salary of the teacher of said class should increase accordingly.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:31:38 PM »
« Edited: July 06, 2011, 07:56:12 PM by Assemblyman MOPolitico »

My primary concern with this bill is, teacher's salary is not related to the improvement of the student's test scores. Surely, if the average test score of a class increases from a C at the beginning of the semester to a B at the end of the semester, the salary of the teacher of said class should increase accordingly.

Re-weighting a salary after each semester would be administratively difficult and doesn't allow teachers to plan their household income for the year ahead. An annual review would be satisfactory.

I was reading it as the score change over the year (beginning of the year, to end of semester A, to end of semester B) would weight the salary) but change the salary on a year to year basis
The teacher's salary for the next year would be determined at the end of the current year by the improvement of his students' test scores over the course of the beginning of the first semester to the end of the first semester, and from the beginning of the second semester to the end of the second semester. So, for how much of the teacher's salary should the improvement of his student's test scores count?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:42 PM »

I still remain opposed to putting such a high percentage towards tests scores. It put's teacher's in rural and inner-city areas at a disadvantage and is certainly discouraging.
While I share your concerns about judging teachers by their students' test performances, I'm curious to hear your solution.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »

With all the controversy surrounding standardized testing and determining teacher's salary by the performance of their students on standardized tests, I wonder if it would not be wise to place less emphasis on tests and more emphasis on performance in regular classroom lessons. Your thoughts?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »

With all the controversy surrounding standardized testing and determining teacher's salary by the performance of their students on standardized tests, I wonder if it would not be wise to place less emphasis on tests and more emphasis on performance in regular classroom lessons. Your thoughts?

The problem with salary on merit for teachers is 1) their students can just be a bad bunch, 2) it discourages teaching in urban districts 3) their students have the ability to screw them over 4) it's all about student motivation (which if a teacher can get them motivated, is the greatest asset to their learning).
Which is why teacher's salary is not determined exclusively by student performance. However, if student performance is to influence teacher's salary at all, I would prefer it if the increase in student's grades had the same influence as the student's grades themselves.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I'm aware of the problems granting full tenure to primary school teachers causes. Perhaps we should make it more difficult to attain tenure? Perhaps require teachers to earn it, instead of granting it automatically? Or extending the amount of time teachers are required to teach before they're awarded it?
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 11:13:49 AM »

Amendment 1: Aye
Amendment 2: Aye
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix